• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tonight's Hero

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He certainly came through when needed huh? :)

No. Yesterday's hero was Claude Giroux. I only watched the highlights, so keep in mind I don't know if he was shooting pucks at Bobvroucher the other 50 minutes of the game, and I haven't checked his stats so maybe he's -1 and was on the ice for the both the PP goals as well, but basically, in the first goal of the game, he did three things, all of them ESSENTIAL.

1. He scored on Miller. Miller was a goddamn force field in game 1, though admittedly that was at least half his defensemen cleaning up and half us not effectively crashing the net, but regardless, getting rid of the aura of invinciblity Miller had may potentially change the series.

2. He deked in an appropriate location, at an appropriate time, and didn't go for too much. Unless your name is Pavel Deketsyuk, you have no business getting fancy in the defensive zone. Giroux deked in the offensive zone. That's one. Unless you have trailers behind you who can play D if you screw up, you need to make the safe play, which is dump it in. Giroux did this as well, that's 2. Finally, he made the dekes he had to make to get to a shooting position, and then he shot. There was another guy between him and the goal, but he didn't try to play video game hockey. No, he found a lane and took it. PS: Number 10, you might want to be writing this down, because when I typed in Versteeg into youtube it autofilled giveaway as the next word.

3. Claude Giroux shot the puck. This is nice because A: he's a good shot, and B: he always looks to pass. Finally we see what happens when Giroux decides to be a little selfish - we win a hockey game.

Don't get me wrong - Leino's goal was big. We need our PP working. But it was a lucky deflection off an opposing player's stick, and while we are certainly due for a cheap goal here and there, I don't see that goal magically making our power play into some fearsome monster. We are 1 for 15 in the playoffs. We have one power play goal in 25:11 of power play time. Let me reiterate. In two games we have spent OVER AN ENTIRE PERIOD ON THE POWER PLAY with a single goal to show for it. We are literally getting more production out of our 5 on 5 hockey than our man advantage unit. The only team I would consider worse than us would be the Penguins with zero goals in 20:46 up, and that doesn't even count because fuck the Penguins. So no, Leino isn't our hero now, though I'm glad to see that scoring goals off of weirder deflections than those McDonald's commercials is apparently a skill he has retained from last year's playoffs. GO GIROUX.

TOX1

Game fucking on!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I meant he scored when we need him to, not that he was the hero of the night.

IMO Giroux and JvR split the Hero status for last night.

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:bump: Danny Briere tonight going back to Buffalo!!!

jerseyjigroe

Experience Quality Trust
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JVR and Giroux gonna continue to beast!!!!

It's time for Carter to finally start scoring!

KS32790

SHOOOOOOOOOT IT !!!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got meszaros for tonight. Would love Z to have a big game tho. WHERE THE HELL HAS MATT CARLE BEEN ??????

WOOTPOKER

Why you heff to be mad?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Z should pick up carter's slack. altho granted, at this point jody shelley could probably equal carter's production right now...