• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: tOfficial Mariners 2019 Season Thread

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Given how much money California likes to burn he likely figures he can get a real nice subsidy for a new stadium without having to worry about paying for much himself. I do think it's fucked up that owners are able to leverage states/cities to pay for so much of their stadiums, but that's a different conversation.

From Key Bank's perspective, I wouldn't pay a cent either. I hate to be insensitive but lets be realistic, nobody really cares about the Storm so Key Bank doesn't really have much incentive to try to negotiate a new naming rights deal and I can't imagine many other corporations would. I imagine a new naming rights deal will be negotiated once the NHL season starts.

Fundamentally I support doing whatever necessary to curb obesity and I don't mind the soda tax. I have to say that I'm somewhat biased because I don't purchase soda and when I was 12 or so I became obese and was drinking 800+ calories of soda a day. I ended up losing all the weight in high school when I got into sports, but a big reason for that was I cut out soda consumption. That said, it bothers me that the money was supposed to go to public heath causes yet instead Durkan re-allocated it to homelessness. As you mentioned it's somewhat ironic because that tax hurts lower income people who consume soda disproportionally.

I would never want to be a law enforcement employee in Seattle and I sincerely pity the cops in this city. In addition to the lack of support by the city, it really bothers me that there is this anti-cop sentiment in the city.

See I agree with you and I honestly don't think it's cold hearted. From everything I've heard/read there are various medications that can be prescribed to addicts that mitigate the side effects of going through withdrawals. I'm not a medical expert, but I believe the common one given to drug addicts is methadone which somewhat simulates the effect of taking drugs but you can slowly ween them off of it.

I'm not deluded enough to think that makes it easy for them, but it wouldn't be awful for them either. I think that mandatory rehab is the easy part, but the hard part is to ensure they don't relapse after completing their treatment. Most of them have no job history, and all of their friends/connections are likely fellow addicts.

This might sound kind of fucked up but I believe mental illness is overly diagnosed in this country. A lot of times I believe depression/anxiety disorders are given to people who are just experiencing normal human emotions. I exaggerated to a doctor my "ADHD symptoms" in college so that I'd be able to get an adderall prescription to use for studying. I cannot fucking believe that they give that shit to children.

"I cannot fucking believe that they give that shit to children."

My understanding, experience and training indicates that both Adderall and Ritalin are given to children with ADDHD because it basically has an opposite effect with them. I have worked with many children who were labeled "hyperactive" and both Adderall and Ritalin slowed their random activity and thought processes.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I personally wouldn't give a shit if we had the most controversial ownership if it resulted in wins. Robert Kraft and Bill Belichick appear to be less than ideal characters, but I wouldn't give a shit given the success of the franchise.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with the ownership. I believe Paul Allen was one of those billionaires who pledged to give away most of their worth after they die, but I'm not positive on that. I'd have to assume that for the time being, someone else has taken over the ownership responsibilities.

I don't really worry too much about the future ownership of the Seahawks. I have some sort of blind faith that it'll work out. Also given the salary cap and the revenue that NFL teams bring in, an indifferent owner likely wouldn't matter much as long as the right decisions are made regarding hiring the right people in the front office.

Your last part is the only fear I would ever have as a fan. Kraft is the only in name only, every single hire the Pats have had, I’m guessing, Belichick has signed off on. Having money is great but you have to hire the right guys, not just ones that interview well. As well as what made Paul Allen such a great owner was that he was willing to eat $10 plus million dollars like it’s nothing because he acknowledged he made a mistake and bought out Mora and Ruskell (sp?) It’s something I wish Mariners ownership would realize instead of letting GM’s start a plan, go off of that plan then start feeling the heat from their job being on the line so they take a torch to the farm system and the budget by going in win now mode.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Given how much money California likes to burn he likely figures he can get a real nice subsidy for a new stadium without having to worry about paying for much himself. I do think it's fucked up that owners are able to leverage states/cities to pay for so much of their stadiums, but that's a different conversation.

From Key Bank's perspective, I wouldn't pay a cent either. I hate to be insensitive but lets be realistic, nobody really cares about the Storm so Key Bank doesn't really have much incentive to try to negotiate a new naming rights deal and I can't imagine many other corporations would. I imagine a new naming rights deal will be negotiated once the NHL season starts.

Fundamentally I support doing whatever necessary to curb obesity and I don't mind the soda tax. I have to say that I'm somewhat biased because I don't purchase soda and when I was 12 or so I became obese and was drinking 800+ calories of soda a day. I ended up losing all the weight in high school when I got into sports, but a big reason for that was I cut out soda consumption. That said, it bothers me that the money was supposed to go to public heath causes yet instead Durkan re-allocated it to homelessness. As you mentioned it's somewhat ironic because that tax hurts lower income people who consume soda disproportionally.

I would never want to be a law enforcement employee in Seattle and I sincerely pity the cops in this city. In addition to the lack of support by the city, it really bothers me that there is this anti-cop sentiment in the city.

See I agree with you and I honestly don't think it's cold hearted. From everything I've heard/read there are various medications that can be prescribed to addicts that mitigate the side effects of going through withdrawals. I'm not a medical expert, but I believe the common one given to drug addicts is methadone which somewhat simulates the effect of taking drugs but you can slowly ween them off of it.

I'm not deluded enough to think that makes it easy for them, but it wouldn't be awful for them either. I think that mandatory rehab is the easy part, but the hard part is to ensure they don't relapse after completing their treatment. Most of them have no job history, and all of their friends/connections are likely fellow addicts.

This might sound kind of fucked up but I believe mental illness is overly diagnosed in this country. A lot of times I believe depression/anxiety disorders are given to people who are just experiencing normal human emotions. I exaggerated to a doctor my "ADHD symptoms" in college so that I'd be able to get an adderall prescription to use for studying. I cannot fucking believe that they give that shit to children.

I’d agree with your California thing except it’s Oakland. The city wouldn’t put up any money since I have been alive to help the Raiders out. This is also from an outsiders POV so maybe there is more to it than that, that I’m just speculating to form my opinion. But I also have and will be pro private/public partnership on stadiums/arenas. Whichever taxing district a stadium or arena is in benefits every bit as much as the owner of the franchise IMO. Kent took a leap of faith with betting money on revitalizing their downtown with the Showare Center. Thus far it has worked because they have netted the city I don’t know how many millions. But that is just my personal opinion.

I wasn’t trying to say anything negative about Key Bank. It was more of how inept the City of Seattle was/is. Once the sponsorship lease ends you are suppose to cut ties. Hell having Bartells give one penny a year for the naming rights is more than what they got from free advertising Key Bank.

I get that argument for the Soda Tax. But it’s along the similar line with this stupid new ban the governor wants to do with vaping. I don’t feel it is the governments role to vice tax, which obviously I’m in the minority in our state. Taxing to change a behavior/lifestyle doesn’t ever seem to work and it always ends up hurting the people who are in poverty or the lower end of the middle class. I’ve made the argument but how does a Soda Tax, Cigarette Tax, or Gas Tax make that single mother, single father or in general someone who is already prone to making bad decisions decide to put away those smokes, not buy pop or whatever and use that money on good decisions? Let alone without that argument I hate that the “SodaTax” was a sugary drink tax that Starbucks got exempt from. But I hate those taxes because our state keeps trying to pass a carbon tax yet I work for a Parcel Company and I have to pay but they are exempt.

The relapse part I am in total agreement and my wife is involved with the state when it comes to case workers. A huge problem our state has is the budget they set up is so jacked up where case workers and PO officers don’t have enough to money to hire more of them because all the allocated money is given to people that have nothing to do with whichever the problem is. So when most of the money for departments aren’t given to make sure people are committing whichever crime, relapse or whatever again it kind of defeats the whole purpose. It’s kind of how I feel with teachers and how they cannot be effective when they have so many kids per teacher, but when we all agreed to give them a pay raise the administrators. Again just my personal opinion.

I think it is massively over diagnosed too. I hate the service animal bs, I hate that anyone and there mother can get diagnosed with anxiety, essentially I dislike how easy it is to umbrellas diagnose people. As someone who clinically has a “mental illness” now that because our new state law I’m ineligible for an AR 15 (which I don’t want but still) and if I do decide to purchase another weapons I have to pay more money and spend more time than most people. I guess it just bugs me that someone can do something totally screwed up like say a shooting or whatever and magically it is the mental illness that was the problem. Not the person had shitty family, shitty friends, shitty X,Y and Z.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Random thought for this morning:

Thank goodness for the Seahawks as the M’s are stuck in perpetual rebuild and I expect a quieter offseason.

Another team to talk about are the Huskies.

Look like they are out of the top 25 and may be out of Pac12 race. Super disappointed so far and kind of unexpected from a Petersen football team. I’d like to erase what I saw last night

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My understanding, experience and training indicates that both Adderall and Ritalin are given to children with ADDHD because it basically has an opposite effect with them. I have worked with many children who were labeled "hyperactive" and both Adderall and Ritalin slowed their random activity and thought processes.

That's interesting. I still take 20mg XR of Adderall occasionally but only when I need to get a lot done and be super productive. The side effects for me just make it not worth taking regularly. It helps me concentrate but I can hardly eat, I get super jittery and my heart rate goes up substantially.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your last part is the only fear I would ever have as a fan. Kraft is the only in name only, every single hire the Pats have had, I’m guessing, Belichick has signed off on. Having money is great but you have to hire the right guys, not just ones that interview well. As well as what made Paul Allen such a great owner was that he was willing to eat $10 plus million dollars like it’s nothing because he acknowledged he made a mistake and bought out Mora and Ruskell (sp?) It’s something I wish Mariners ownership would realize instead of letting GM’s start a plan, go off of that plan then start feeling the heat from their job being on the line so they take a torch to the farm system and the budget by going in win now mode.

Blast from the past but I was surprised they dumped Mora after just one year. Luckily it worked out well for us though.

It is somewhat comparing apples and oranges with the NFL versus MLB. Given the fact that it takes much longer to develop baseball prospects I think turning around an NFL franchise is much easier than turning around a MLB franchise.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I am in no way a professional on it but with my limited experience when a child is given Ritalin they kind of act like a zombie. My main disagreement with the whole hyperactive diagnosis is it goes along with what @seahawksfan234 and I were discussing with the umbrella diagnosis where if you fall under 1 of however many characteristics you get labeled that. And most of them really are just kids, being kids. My wife and I put one of my daughters on it because our doctor recommended it and to me it was terrible.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blast from the past but I was surprised they dumped Mora after just one year. Luckily it worked out well for us though.

It is somewhat comparing apples and oranges with the NFL versus MLB. Given the fact that it takes much longer to develop baseball prospects I think turning around an NFL franchise is much easier than turning around a MLB franchise.

There are similarities though with building the foundation of a franchise in both. I was just using that comparison just for the fact that Jack Z and Jerry both should’ve been fired IMO when they deviated from the path they outlined. Bavasi was just a dumb yes man hire so I don’t even count him. You need to have a foundation which the Mariners GM’s never seem to lay out.

Back to a football comparison it was like when Holmgren took over. Holmgren is kind of the definition of what I want the Mariners to do (to be fair it seems Jerry is finally trying now). Holmgren came in with a plan, luckily stumbled into a playoff win but didn’t blow things up to go into win now mode. It didn’t work out on paper so he was fired as the GM but they let the struggle play out. Them playing it out led directly to the 2005 Super Bowl appearance so his foundation did end up working.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am in no way a professional on it but with my limited experience when a child is given Ritalin they kind of act like a zombie. My main disagreement with the whole hyperactive diagnosis is it goes along with what @seahawksfan234 and I were discussing with the umbrella diagnosis where if you fall under 1 of however many characteristics you get labeled that. And most of them really are just kids, being kids. My wife and I put one of my daughters on it because our doctor recommended it and to me it was terrible.

I think there is this culture that when a kid acts out or something there must be some sort of mental issue that must be remedied with medication. I also just worry about the long-term implications of putting a child on a powerful medication. There likely aren't many long-term studies about what that stuff does to a developing brain.

I only take adderall occasionally due to side effects, what it could possibly do to my brain long-term and possible addiction risks. The shit makes me super productive and I could sit and watch grass grow, I wouldn't want to become dependent on that.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are similarities though with building the foundation of a franchise in both. I was just using that comparison just for the fact that Jack Z and Jerry both should’ve been fired IMO when they deviated from the path they outlined. Bavasi was just a dumb yes man hire so I don’t even count him. You need to have a foundation which the Mariners GM’s never seem to lay out.

Back to a football comparison it was like when Holmgren took over. Holmgren is kind of the definition of what I want the Mariners to do (to be fair it seems Jerry is finally trying now). Holmgren came in with a plan, luckily stumbled into a playoff win but didn’t blow things up to go into win now mode. It didn’t work out on paper so he was fired as the GM but they let the struggle play out. Them playing it out led directly to the 2005 Super Bowl appearance so his foundation did end up working.

Tbh I don't really think that Jack Z or Jerry really had a serious plan when they started the job aside from "focus on analytics." It appeared that both thought that they were X or Y piece from being a playoff contender and neglected to take into consideration the long-term outlook.

When Jerry took over he should've completely cleaned house and do what he did a year ago with the team. If he did that we'd be having a much different conversation right now IMO.

I'm probably one of the bigger Jerry apologists recently because I think that 90%ish of what he has done in the last year has been right. Just wish it would've happened years ago. My concern is that I don't want him to get trigger happy at the first flashes of a .500 team and make a bunch of ridiculous signings/trading away the farm.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’d agree with your California thing except it’s Oakland. The city wouldn’t put up any money since I have been alive to help the Raiders out. This is also from an outsiders POV so maybe there is more to it than that, that I’m just speculating to form my opinion. But I also have and will be pro private/public partnership on stadiums/arenas. Whichever taxing district a stadium or arena is in benefits every bit as much as the owner of the franchise IMO. Kent took a leap of faith with betting money on revitalizing their downtown with the Showare Center. Thus far it has worked because they have netted the city I don’t know how many millions. But that is just my personal opinion.

When it comes to financing of stadiums I don't really know how I feel. On the one hand I don't believe that billionaire owners should be receiving massive subsidies for a business that brings in tens/hundreds of millions of dollars a year. On the other hand I believe that local governments have a civic obligation to retain sports franchises that cities love and care about - not to mention the revenue it brings to local businesses.

I get that argument for the Soda Tax. But it’s along the similar line with this stupid new ban the governor wants to do with vaping. I don’t feel it is the governments role to vice tax, which obviously I’m in the minority in our state. Taxing to change a behavior/lifestyle doesn’t ever seem to work and it always ends up hurting the people who are in poverty or the lower end of the middle class. I’ve made the argument but how does a Soda Tax, Cigarette Tax, or Gas Tax make that single mother, single father or in general someone who is already prone to making bad decisions decide to put away those smokes, not buy pop or whatever and use that money on good decisions? Let alone without that argument I hate that the “SodaTax” was a sugary drink tax that Starbucks got exempt from. But I hate those taxes because our state keeps trying to pass a carbon tax yet I work for a Parcel Company and I have to pay but they are exempt.

When it comes to the ban with vaping, for what it's worth it would just be the flavored nicotine products. You wouldn't believe how many people I know who went from not having ever experienced nicotine in their life to being avid Juul users. I think the ban - from his perspective - could be due to the amount of people who have suddenly had various lung diseases. I'm sure the tobacco industry loves this because if tobacco flavored vape juices are only what can be purchases, you're likely to see a lot of people be more open to smoking cigarettes.

I understand your reasoning regarding taxing vices, and you're correct that it does disproportionately impact the middle and lower classes. Regarding "how does it help them quit those vices?" in an ideal world the money generated from those taxes would go to A. Health care - obesity, alcoholism, nicotine addiction, etc. pose a burden to public health which costs the federal and state government money. B. Programs that help/mitigate the issues mentioned in A. Generally the government is on the hook for those issues and the money generated could - in theory - compensate for health issues caused by those behavior. I know it's overly ideologic, but I think we might have to agree to disagree on this.

As an aside I hate that these days people can't concede that someone they disagree with brings up decent points. We probably disagree on the issue of vice taxes, but I completely see where you're coming from.

The relapse part I am in total agreement and my wife is involved with the state when it comes to case workers. A huge problem our state has is the budget they set up is so jacked up where case workers and PO officers don’t have enough to money to hire more of them because all the allocated money is given to people that have nothing to do with whichever the problem is. So when most of the money for departments aren’t given to make sure people are committing whichever crime, relapse or whatever again it kind of defeats the whole purpose. It’s kind of how I feel with teachers and how they cannot be effective when they have so many kids per teacher, but when we all agreed to give them a pay raise the administrators. Again just my personal opinion.

I agree. When it comes to the issue I believe the money is not being allocated where it needs to be. There seems to be this emphasis on homeless shelters and affordable housing, but that doesn't hit the crux of the issue. Almost every homeless person has some sort of addiction and/or serious mental illness.

I think it is massively over diagnosed too. I hate the service animal bs, I hate that anyone and there mother can get diagnosed with anxiety, essentially I dislike how easy it is to umbrellas diagnose people. As someone who clinically has a “mental illness” now that because our new state law I’m ineligible for an AR 15 (which I don’t want but still) and if I do decide to purchase another weapons I have to pay more money and spend more time than most people. I guess it just bugs me that someone can do something totally screwed up like say a shooting or whatever and magically it is the mental illness that was the problem. Not the person had shitty family, shitty friends, shitty X,Y and Z.

I'm the exact same when it comes to service animals. I'm aware that they can be extremely helpful when it comes to individuals who suffer from seizures but if someone has a service animal because of anxiety or depression when they're away from their pet, that issue should be addressed instead of just bringing your damn dog with you everywhere.

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tbh I don't really think that Jack Z or Jerry really had a serious plan when they started the job aside from "focus on analytics." It appeared that both thought that they were X or Y piece from being a playoff contender and neglected to take into consideration the long-term outlook.

When Jerry took over he should've completely cleaned house and do what he did a year ago with the team. If he did that we'd be having a much different conversation right now IMO.

I'm probably one of the bigger Jerry apologists recently because I think that 90%ish of what he has done in the last year has been right. Just wish it would've happened years ago. My concern is that I don't want him to get trigger happy at the first flashes of a .500 team and make a bunch of ridiculous signings/trading away the farm.

The jury is still out for me as far as Jerry goes. I'm still a bit skeptical for 2 reasons. 1) His performance with the Angels and problems getting along with his manager prior to the M's hiring (the Angels ownership had not confidence in him) and 2) his choice of manager ie: Scott Servais. The fact he didn't take any action to grab a pitcher in 2018 when we were so close to post season play had me questioning his ability as a GM. Doesn't really matter cuz sounds like were stuck with him, for better or worse.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think there is this culture that when a kid acts out or something there must be some sort of mental issue that must be remedied with medication. I also just worry about the long-term implications of putting a child on a powerful medication. There likely aren't many long-term studies about what that stuff does to a developing brain.

I only take adderall occasionally due to side effects, what it could possibly do to my brain long-term and possible addiction risks. The shit makes me super productive and I could sit and watch grass grow, I wouldn't want to become dependent on that.

Well ya, we won’t know the long term implications until a generation from now where there is some disease or syndrome that whether true or not will blame ADD and ADHD medicine. Kind of like vaccines are now and this whole vaping “crisis”. I just know from my minor experience. It is ten times easier to give your child ritialin that be a stern parent which is was our problem as parents.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Jacks plan was to come in and start all over with analytics though. He made the great Gutierrez deal, had the fluke season then torched his plan. Then his seat was getting hot so he signed Cano. I guess you could be right with Jerry. My memory could be clouded or whatever but I just recall questioning his hiring because all he talked about was the farm system when he was hired. Problem is he is going to have pull the trigger though. He has to pull the trigger at a minimum of next offseason for a starter and needs to deal some of his outfield depth in the farm system. I don’t trust him for a second on dealing the right ones but that is kind of doing the whole sins of the father thing since we as fans have been burned by trading the wrong prospects.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When it comes to financing of stadiums I don't really know how I feel. On the one hand I don't believe that billionaire owners should be receiving massive subsidies for a business that brings in tens/hundreds of millions of dollars a year. On the other hand I believe that local governments have a civic obligation to retain sports franchises that cities love and care about - not to mention the revenue it brings to local businesses.

When it comes to the ban with vaping, for what it's worth it would just be the flavored nicotine products. You wouldn't believe how many people I know who went from not having ever experienced nicotine in their life to being avid Juul users. I think the ban - from his perspective - could be due to the amount of people who have suddenly had various lung diseases. I'm sure the tobacco industry loves this because if tobacco flavored vape juices are only what can be purchases, you're likely to see a lot of people be more open to smoking cigarettes.

I understand your reasoning regarding taxing vices, and you're correct that it does disproportionately impact the middle and lower classes. Regarding "how does it help them quit those vices?" in an ideal world the money generated from those taxes would go to A. Health care - obesity, alcoholism, nicotine addiction, etc. pose a burden to public health which costs the federal and state government money. B. Programs that help/mitigate the issues mentioned in A. Generally the government is on the hook for those issues and the money generated could - in theory - compensate for health issues caused by those behavior. I know it's overly ideologic, but I think we might have to agree to disagree on this.

As an aside I hate that these days people can't concede that someone they disagree with brings up decent points. We probably disagree on the issue of vice taxes, but I completely see where you're coming from.

I agree. When it comes to the issue I believe the money is not being allocated where it needs to be. There seems to be this emphasis on homeless shelters and affordable housing, but that doesn't hit the crux of the issue. Almost every homeless person has some sort of addiction and/or serious mental illness.

I'm the exact same when it comes to service animals. I'm aware that they can be extremely helpful when it comes to individuals who suffer from seizures but if someone has a service animal because of anxiety or depression when they're away from their pet, that issue should be addressed instead of just bringing your damn dog with you everywhere.

How do you do the quoting to individual paragraphs lol this is getting complicated.

Financing of stadiums is an issue I can completely see the two sides of the argument. I just fall on the side of it is better for the community in general that it is a partnership so the city still owns the land so they can rent it out for whichever event or lease it out for another tenant such as Tacoma leased out Cheney Stadium to the two soccer clubs down there. I’m usually on the anti tax side but generally how the public puts up the bond but the tax is generally passed along to the tourists or locally generally it is sports fans who end up paying for it.

There are so many reasons I hate this proposed vape ban. First off, it has nothing to do with the flavored vaping product. It is the THC in the vaping those people have either died or gotten sick from. This is where there is a strong argument to regulate the interweb. The CDC named two companies who were selling imitation products for cheaper which their flavored juices were packed full of potentially deadly chemicals that are regulated through states but not online. No need to go into all of other political reasons I hate it but the primary reason I am pro vape or nicotine in general was I listened to a lecture from Dr Drew. He has petitioned the FDA since Bush the second to be able to legalize prescribing some type of nicotine pill, I can’t think of the exact type or whatever. His theory that changed my mind was nicotine while addictive helps with several issues mainly mental health and obesity. He essentially made a layman’s medical argument of the weed versus opioids.

I get the line of thinking of it can go to help those people, but isn’t that kind of messed up? You tax poor people or lower class people just to try to help them? To me, that’s like breaking into someone’s house and stealing all of their stuff. Then you show up and give them their television back and try to make them feel like you are so compassionate. I’ll never have an issue conceding points or look at it from someone else’s point of view. The only thing I hate is when you have a decent discussion and it breaks down into hypocrisy or the general name calling. Me and this lady got into bad online because she called my wife and I racists, bigots, and choose your pick of the names people get called. At my girls bus stop this homeless dude just showed up and lived there for a month. He would always vulgar things to them (according to them) so we called the cops every day and the police told us the white dude is fine but the Indian homeless guy who squats around here is dangerous. My wife posted it to warn other parents and shit went down fast. Remind you we didn’t know what Indian the cops meant and we were just relaying what they told us.

The allocation of money that I guess I’ll never understand is the taxing just to throw money away. There are homeless shelters all over King and Pierce County that are at most half full ever. With affordable housing, that is complicated because what I have an issue with is that if you don’t have money to live in Seattle, you shouldn’t be lobbying to get free money to live in Seattle. You can make minimum wage and get a crappy apartment outside of the city. I would love to live on the lake that by me but I can’t afford it, so I don’t live there. I’ll just never understand what the difference between living in a crappy run down apartment in Seattle is somehow better than a crappy run down apartment in say Kent, Burien or any other city where it is cheaper to live and you can still use your free Orca card to get into Seattle.

The service animals I totally get that. I can have a service dog because of seizures but I think it’s messed up to bring an animal in a store, plane or essentially anywhere. It’s cold hearted as F but if you have anxiety flying, they have cars and boats. If you are depressed or whatever there is an entire industry of escorts, or pick a hobby or phone a friend in depressed moments. I mean it’s how AA essentially works. When you feel like you are going to relapse you call your sponsor and instead of drinking he/she will sit and talk with you or what my brother does is come pick them up and they go do whatever. And for those who are at the point in their life where you are suicidal I really don’t think a service animal can help.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well ya, we won’t know the long term implications until a generation from now where there is some disease or syndrome that whether true or not will blame ADD and ADHD medicine. Kind of like vaccines are now and this whole vaping “crisis”. I just know from my minor experience. It is ten times easier to give your child ritialin that be a stern parent which is was our problem as parents.

When I was a kid I got into trouble a lot, misbehaved, didn't really care about homework etc. I'm thankful I wasn't put on some kind of medication for that because there were a lot of kids my age who were. I think part of it is just growing up. I had poor grades in elementary/middle school with tons of missing assignments despite the fact that I tested very highly. I didn't really start doing well until running start when I found more interest in what I was doing and grew up.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jacks plan was to come in and start all over with analytics though. He made the great Gutierrez deal, had the fluke season then torched his plan. Then his seat was getting hot so he signed Cano. I guess you could be right with Jerry. My memory could be clouded or whatever but I just recall questioning his hiring because all he talked about was the farm system when he was hired. Problem is he is going to have pull the trigger though. He has to pull the trigger at a minimum of next offseason for a starter and needs to deal some of his outfield depth in the farm system. I don’t trust him for a second on dealing the right ones but that is kind of doing the whole sins of the father thing since we as fans have been burned by trading the wrong prospects.

I can't recall all that well what the starts were like for Jack Z and Jerry. I think with Jerry he came in with a "re-tooling" type idea similar to what the Seahawks did once the LOB collapsed. Hindsight is 20/20 but he should've just completely tore the team down when he got here.

It's a blessing and a curse with our farm system outfield depth. Prospect-for-prospect deals don't seem all that common and I'd assume an opposing team would only deal a highly rated prospect for another prospect if they saw some flaw in the guy they're trading away. The Pineda for Montero deal comes to mind. It would be nice if our farm system was more balanced because I'm really high on all of our younger outfield prospects.

I've said this more times than I can count but I worry about how he'll handle things once the team starts showing flashes and he gets that itchy trigger finger for trades.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do you do the quoting to individual paragraphs lol this is getting complicated.

Financing of stadiums is an issue I can completely see the two sides of the argument. I just fall on the side of it is better for the community in general that it is a partnership so the city still owns the land so they can rent it out for whichever event or lease it out for another tenant such as Tacoma leased out Cheney Stadium to the two soccer clubs down there. I’m usually on the anti tax side but generally how the public puts up the bond but the tax is generally passed along to the tourists or locally generally it is sports fans who end up paying for it.

There are so many reasons I hate this proposed vape ban. First off, it has nothing to do with the flavored vaping product. It is the THC in the vaping those people have either died or gotten sick from. This is where there is a strong argument to regulate the interweb. The CDC named two companies who were selling imitation products for cheaper which their flavored juices were packed full of potentially deadly chemicals that are regulated through states but not online. No need to go into all of other political reasons I hate it but the primary reason I am pro vape or nicotine in general was I listened to a lecture from Dr Drew. He has petitioned the FDA since Bush the second to be able to legalize prescribing some type of nicotine pill, I can’t think of the exact type or whatever. His theory that changed my mind was nicotine while addictive helps with several issues mainly mental health and obesity. He essentially made a layman’s medical argument of the weed versus opioids.

I get the line of thinking of it can go to help those people, but isn’t that kind of messed up? You tax poor people or lower class people just to try to help them? To me, that’s like breaking into someone’s house and stealing all of their stuff. Then you show up and give them their television back and try to make them feel like you are so compassionate. I’ll never have an issue conceding points or look at it from someone else’s point of view. The only thing I hate is when you have a decent discussion and it breaks down into hypocrisy or the general name calling. Me and this lady got into bad online because she called my wife and I racists, bigots, and choose your pick of the names people get called. At my girls bus stop this homeless dude just showed up and lived there for a month. He would always vulgar things to them (according to them) so we called the cops every day and the police told us the white dude is fine but the Indian homeless guy who squats around here is dangerous. My wife posted it to warn other parents and shit went down fast. Remind you we didn’t know what Indian the cops meant and we were just relaying what they told us.

The allocation of money that I guess I’ll never understand is the taxing just to throw money away. There are homeless shelters all over King and Pierce County that are at most half full ever. With affordable housing, that is complicated because what I have an issue with is that if you don’t have money to live in Seattle, you shouldn’t be lobbying to get free money to live in Seattle. You can make minimum wage and get a crappy apartment outside of the city. I would love to live on the lake that by me but I can’t afford it, so I don’t live there. I’ll just never understand what the difference between living in a crappy run down apartment in Seattle is somehow better than a crappy run down apartment in say Kent, Burien or any other city where it is cheaper to live and you can still use your free Orca card to get into Seattle.

The service animals I totally get that. I can have a service dog because of seizures but I think it’s messed up to bring an animal in a store, plane or essentially anywhere. It’s cold hearted as F but if you have anxiety flying, they have cars and boats. If you are depressed or whatever there is an entire industry of escorts, or pick a hobby or phone a friend in depressed moments. I mean it’s how AA essentially works. When you feel like you are going to relapse you call your sponsor and instead of drinking he/she will sit and talk with you or what my brother does is come pick them up and they go do whatever. And for those who are at the point in their life where you are suicidal I really don’t think a service animal can help.

Gonna respond in private message so we don't keep bloating this thread with our politics talk lol.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't recall all that well what the starts were like for Jack Z and Jerry. I think with Jerry he came in with a "re-tooling" type idea similar to what the Seahawks did once the LOB collapsed. Hindsight is 20/20 but he should've just completely tore the team down when he got here.

It's a blessing and a curse with our farm system outfield depth. Prospect-for-prospect deals don't seem all that common and I'd assume an opposing team would only deal a highly rated prospect for another prospect if they saw some flaw in the guy they're trading away. The Pineda for Montero deal comes to mind. It would be nice if our farm system was more balanced because I'm really high on all of our younger outfield prospects.

I've said this more times than I can count but I worry about how he'll handle things once the team starts showing flashes and he gets that itchy trigger finger for trades.

Hindsight really is 20/20. Just to me, nothing in Jerry’s resume says he was the right guy for the Mariners job at the time especially when he was just fighting with the owner and manager with a club that was built to win now. When he took the job it was impossible to rebuild because of all of the contracts. The Pineda for Montero deal was moronic IMO but they aren’t in the position to get screwed like they did with that one. It will be a crapshoot if he does prospect for prospect but he is going to have to deal some because they are heavy with one area and light in others. It is one of the catch 22’s. You can wait until they all prove they are good or not but by then the trade value is zero for any of these prospects who can fetch you players today.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Soooooo. It’s not official yet but it look more likely that the Nats will make it to the World Series.

Why is this relevant? Because the M’s will be the only team in baseball to not have a WS appearance. Sad face.