• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: tOfficial Mariners 2019 Season Thread

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I know I am getting ahead if we are still in a good spot by midseason or in the wild card race are we buyers or sellers at the trade deadline?

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I know I am getting ahead if we are still in a good spot by midseason or in the wild card race are we buyers or sellers at the trade deadline?
sellers...no way this pitching staff has what it takes to make a run. Honestly, if things keep trending this way, Dipoto will look like a genius if he is able to flip Edwin and Bruce for decent prospects at the deadline.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

maybe both...

as with this offseason...jedi can play both sides...a bit...

but really i think it is what is best for the organization...is what he will end up doing

so ...enjoy...lol

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I rather we be sellers as they probably have a plan at the beginning of the season and should stick with it.
However, I don't know if there are any other organizations out there that is under a lot of pressure to win, so it could go both ways. If there are any interests in guys like Gordon, Encarnacion, and Bruce... they need to move them. Keep Santana.

Hillbillyzombie

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I rather we be sellers as they probably have a plan at the beginning of the season and should stick with it.
However, I don't know if there are any other organizations out there that is under a lot of pressure to win, so it could go both ways. If there are any interests in guys like Gordon, Encarnacion, and Bruce... they need to move them. Keep Santana.
I agree but I would like them to keep Gordon if they can.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As the great Vince Lombardi once said, "What the Hell is going on around here"...
A lot of the stuff their doing right now is not sustainable but it's fun to watch.

For example: Jay Bruce has 9 hits for the season and 7 of which are HRs. He's still having a .188 BA but a .646 SLG, .919 OPS. That's crazy.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll have to see how Dylan Moore develops over the course of the season. He can play 2B. Moore will be a downgrade but if the price is right for Gordon, I rather they move him. Gordon is due to make 13.5m in 2020 and 14m in 2021.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kikuchi (0-0, 4.02 ERA) vs. Fillmyer (Season Debut) 4/10/19 @5:15.

Kikuchi making his 4th start of the season. Had a rough start his last outing, so I'm expecting him to bounce back.
Still looking for his 1st major league win.

Can the M's stay hot? They're facing a guy whom they only seen once last season as a reliever for KC. Fillmeyer pitched 2 innings, giving up 1 hit, 0 run and recorded 2 strikeouts for that game.

M's: 11-2 (6-1 A)
Royals: 2-8 (2-5 H)

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
upload_2019-4-10_12-53-24.png

WOW! I feel bad for him... He seems like he's a great dude... It's unfortunate that his game (Offense) didn't translate into the pro's...

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I am definitely by myself on this one I don't think we should be selling I am a big believer that it is important to know how to win and build a winning culture. It is possible to that we can load up on prospects, bring them up and even if they have solid numbers wont translate to wins. The atmosphere in the locker room should be the belief that we can win and that we are one of the better teams in the league.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agreed..and it seems voggy at this point

With a thunderstuck bagpipe clip....lol

But it is bruce..who is leading....in HRs

Lolol

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I like Gordon a lot, but he is 30 years old and is owed $13.3m in 2019 and $13.8m in 2020. Considering that he will be 33 in his buyout year (2021), he doesn't really fit into the long-term plans of the team.

Additionally "speed guys" tend to experience a huge drop off in their early 30s. Gordon is a versatile defender who can play multiple positions, but as his value as a base runner starts to diminish, so will his overall value as a player.

Even then, teams don't attempt to steal as much anymore. 10 years ago Gordon would've had a lot more value.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll have to see how Dylan Moore develops over the course of the season. He can play 2B. Moore will be a downgrade but if the price is right for Gordon, I rather they move him. Gordon is due to make 13.5m in 2020 and 14m in 2021.

Don't forget J.P. Crawford. I'd anticipate that Tim Beckham and J.P. Crawford would eventually be the starters at 2B and SS if Gordon were to be traded.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I am definitely by myself on this one I don't think we should be selling I am a big believer that it is important to know how to win and build a winning culture. It is possible to that we can load up on prospects, bring them up and even if they have solid numbers wont translate to wins. The atmosphere in the locker room should be the belief that we can win and that we are one of the better teams in the league.

Here is something to chew on:

The bullpen is possibly one of the worst in baseball. The rotation is league average at best. Additionally, Jay Bruce (32 years old) is making $14m a year through 2019 and 2020. Edwin Encarnacion (36 years old) makes $21m in 2019, but has a costly $5m buyout, or we're on the hook to pay him $20m when he's 37 and has slowly been regressing with age.

Both Encarnacion and Bruce are best fitted playing DH. That's a problem considering so is Daniel Vogelbach.

The Mariners are on a hot steak, but this is not a team that will realistically be contending by the All-Star break. Nobody is advocating on selling guys like Haniger, Marco, etc. because they fit into a longer-term vision.

Guys like Encarnacion and Bruce are guys that should not be on the team if possible by the end of the season. It makes absolutely no sense hanging on to those guys when we have a team that will not finish above .500 at the end of the year.

The Mariners messed up by not selling last year at the deadline. Sure hindsight is always 20/20, but the writing was on the wall that the 2018 team benefitted by a lot of luck.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
View attachment 202106

WOW! I feel bad for him... He seems like he's a great dude... It's unfortunate that his game (Offense) didn't translate into the pro's...

He has always been somewhat streaky. I wish the best for him, but the guy just can't hit for contact. He has monster power, but has never really been able to put it together.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is something to chew on:

The bullpen is possibly one of the worst in baseball. The rotation is league average at best. Additionally, Jay Bruce (32 years old) is making $14m a year through 2019 and 2020. Edwin Encarnacion (36 years old) makes $21m in 2019, but has a costly $5m buyout, or we're on the hook to pay him $20m when he's 37 and has slowly been regressing with age.

Both Encarnacion and Bruce are best fitted playing DH. That's a problem considering so is Daniel Vogelbach.

The Mariners are on a hot steak, but this is not a team that will realistically be contending by the All-Star break. Nobody is advocating on selling guys like Haniger, Marco, etc. because they fit into a longer-term vision.

Guys like Encarnacion and Bruce are guys that should not be on the team if possible by the end of the season. It makes absolutely no sense hanging on to those guys when we have a team that will not finish above .500 at the end of the year.

The Mariners messed up by not selling last year at the deadline. Sure hindsight is always 20/20, but the writing was on the wall that the 2018 team benefitted by a lot of luck.

I see what you are saying and yeah if by the all star break this team shows its true colors and they are terrible than by all means. As far as salary cap goes I don't see the problem in paying those guys because its really just the rest of this season for encarnacion and next season for bruce. Its not like its the NBA where we have a salary cap and we need to create space because the cap is tight, or even Baltimores situation with Davis on the hook for him all the way until 2023, I don't see the mariners spending a ton of money on free agents anytime soon either so what benefits does saving all that money by not having Jay Bruce and Edwin E on the roster? I don't think any hitting prospects in our system are really ready to come up yet and Vogelbach is tearing it up right now but could easily go back to hitting .200 the rest of the season.

I see what you are saying about missing out on trading away players at the deadline because it kinda stings that Cruz just walked out of seattle and we got nothing for him. Also idk what we would really get for an aging DH because he only managed a 1 year deal in free agency so I don't think many teams value him enough to give up a worth while prospect. Now if the blue jays want to trade Vlad Gurerro jr for Jay bruce ill take that yesterday but I wouldn't just sell them off if we are still hanging around past the all star break.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
View attachment 202106

He and Ackley are epitome of why it is so risky drafting college players over HS players. You may stud out in college but generally you want HS position players.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
View attachment 202106

He and Ackley are epitome of why it is so risky drafting college players over HS players and why a baseball scout is one of the hardest jobs in sports.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haniger is clutch!!! Got a little dicey there at the end but it’s a win!!

Too bad Kikuchi is still searching for that win.