• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: tOfficial Mariners 2019 Season Thread

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Occasionally when I'm driving Ill turn the radio if I know a game is on just to listen for a little bit. Bless Rick Rizzs and the fact that he still seems as enthusiastic as ever. A random RBI single and he's still as excited as he was 20 years ago when this team was relevant.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLB Network actually had a game on a couple of weeks ago. I turned it off after the 5th in down by who knows what.

Side note...Jean Segura not making many friends with the Phillies fans these days.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Greg Johns of MLB.com reports Mitch Haniger (groin) could be sidelined through the All-Star break.
Haniger suffered a ruptured testicle (it hurts to even type that) earlier this month and while he has gotten in some light work in the weight room, the outfielder has still yet to be cleared for baseball activities. "We just need to be patient on that one," said manager Scott Servais, who acknowledged Haniger's njury was more serious than the team had originally thought. Haniger has hit for power (15 homers) this year, but little else, batting an anemic .220 with 81 strikeouts in 246 at-bats.

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good move Servais-load the bases up with your "opener"- damn, you really impress me as a manager :L

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They really should pick a more appropriate name instead of 'opener'. Say something like 'ender' since the game has ended before we even get to bat.

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What makes having an "opener" start a game is when the opener has a terrible start, then the starter has to come into a pressure situation trying to get things back under control. I don't think I like this "opener" idea. Baseball is changing too much these days. just my HO is all.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They really should pick a more appropriate name instead of 'opener'. Say something like 'ender' since the game has ended before we even get to bat.

Well the entire premise of an opener is idiotic. The analytics side of it shows stats that their isn’t an opener, it just switches the closer from the 9th to first inning. Nowhere is the argument over it does it say your team has a better chance to win when you put your worst bullpen arm up against the heart of the order.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Occasionally when I'm driving Ill turn the radio if I know a game is on just to listen for a little bit. Bless Rick Rizzs and the fact that he still seems as enthusiastic as ever. A random RBI single and he's still as excited as he was 20 years ago when this team was relevant.

I don't know what the general consensus is on Rick Rizz but I've always liked him a lot as a person and play caller. I attended the memorial held at Safeco Field for Dave Niehaus and Rick Rizz delivered a really moving speech and really broke down as he gave it. I think he really loves this team, city and organization. Sad he's stuck with the rest of us.

Goldsmith seems really disingenuous and given his work with FOX and the PAC-12 Network combined with his apathy toward the Mariners, I'm willing to bet he'll be taking a job somewhere else sooner rather than later.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What makes having an "opener" start a game is when the opener has a terrible start, then the starter has to come into a pressure situation trying to get things back under control. I don't think I like this "opener" idea. Baseball is changing too much these days. just my HO is all.

Well the entire premise of an opener is idiotic. The analytics side of it shows stats that their isn’t an opener, it just switches the closer from the 9th to first inning. Nowhere is the argument over it does it say your team has a better chance to win when you put your worst bullpen arm up against the heart of the order.

I feel relatively ignorant asking this question, but what is the logic/justification for teams using an opener? Do starting pitchers as a group statistically struggle going through the first inning? Is it about match-ups? For all of the articles I read I've never really seen an argument for or against the opener.

It seems you guys are against the concept of having an opener, but I'm genuinely curious what the justification is for it. Especially as Duders mentioned, if the opener doesn't do his job well that puts pressure on the rest of the staff.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel relatively ignorant asking this question, but what is the logic/justification for teams using an opener? Do starting pitchers as a group statistically struggle going through the first inning? Is it about match-ups? For all of the articles I read I've never really seen an argument for or against the opener.

It seems you guys are against the concept of having an opener, but I'm genuinely curious what the justification is for it. Especially as Duders mentioned, if the opener doesn't do his job well that puts pressure on the rest of the staff.

I feel like it should really depend on the lineup you are facing as a oppose to who you are planning to start behind the opener. If you are facing a team like Houston that has Springer, Altuve and Correa at the top of the lineup then sure, it makes some sense to throw a live bullpen arm the first inning. But its not neccessary to just force that no matter what. Same thing with a closer, who in reality should be the best reliever you have an get the most important outs of the game. If thats in the 7th or 8th so be it.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sad thing is that after the game, Servais said that the "Opener is basically working"...

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like it should really depend on the lineup you are facing as a oppose to who you are planning to start behind the opener. If you are facing a team like Houston that has Springer, Altuve and Correa at the top of the lineup then sure, it makes some sense to throw a live bullpen arm the first inning. But its not neccessary to just force that no matter what. Same thing with a closer, who in reality should be the best reliever you have an get the most important outs of the game. If thats in the 7th or 8th so be it.

I’ve always disagreed with putting your closer in the 7th or 8th inning though because then you have to put an inferior bullpen arm in the 9th. It always seems the last 3 outs are harder (which is where I disagree with high leverage being the end all be all) regardless of where the other team is in the order. Something about those outs throws pitchers off mentally. I remember listening to Jeff Nelson and Norm Charlton talk about the difference and why the Nasty Boys was so unique and kind of a one time type bullpen.

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team is something else. They are masters at being consistently inconsistent. One day they play like shit, another day they rock the scoreboard. Course, they are playing their same bottom of division teams right now.

BTW: Happy start of summer. Longest daylight hours of the year- 16 hours!! Now until Dec 21st the daylight hours start to go downhill. (sorry...not a pleasant thought I guess)

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I can't remember if I posted this on here several years back or not but I ate up with an idea of doing this (not the idea of course). I suggested using a RH bullpen arm to pitch through the lineup once hoping to get the other team to use their LH lineup then switch over to a LH starter to take advantage of. I never had the idea of using them one inning nor did I have the idea od announcing that we were going to switch pitchers at a certain point during the game. The only theory I subscribe to by doing this thing is that since starters don't go 7 very often then use the lesser pitcher early so if he is to give up the runs it is early giving your team a chance to comeback and not in the 7th leaving only 9 outs to comeback with. But if this is the strategy, I personally would use say 9 starters and two bullpen arms on the roster instead of making a bullpen arm an 'opener'. That never made sense to me really. Say use an Andrew Moore as a unto 3 inning starter then come in with a Leblanc.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In typical Mariner fashion our team struggles to a bittersweet win.

Fact one: we beat a team we are competing with for the first pick in the 2020 draft. So, did we really win?

Fact two: Mike Leake won the game but giving up 7 earned runs in five innings hurt his trade value after he been steadily building it his previous three starts.

Damn team can't do anything right.

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder how many of us M's "fans" actually give a shit about this Team anymore, it's Management, the FO and Ownership. Not looking for any answers, just throwing the thought out there is all.