• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: tOfficial Mariners 2019 Season Thread

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Soooooo. It’s not official yet but it look more likely that the Nats will make it to the World Series.

Why is this relevant? Because the M’s will be the only team in baseball to not have a WS appearance. Sad face.

I've seen this mentioned in a few different places. My reaction is I dont really care. I enjoy watching the Nats play, I've always like Scherzcer and Rendon specifically. Soto is also a very exciting young player. I am rooting for them to win it all.
As for it meaning something negative for the Mariners, I just choose not to go there. There isn't a stat out there that's gonna make the Mariners history any worse or better. The Mariners been a dogshit franchise and thats something we as fans have to wear whether the Nats make the World Series or not. There are so many stats out there that can make this franchise look even worse, but at some point I have to draw the line and enjoy a little baseball. I'll let the Mariners depress me on their own during baseball season.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've seen this mentioned in a few different places. My reaction is I dont really care. I enjoy watching the Nats play, I've always like Scherzcer and Rendon specifically. Soto is also a very exciting young player. I am rooting for them to win it all.
As for it meaning something negative for the Mariners, I just choose not to go there. There isn't a stat out there that's gonna make the Mariners history any worse or better. The Mariners been a dogshit franchise and thats something we as fans have to wear whether the Nats make the World Series or not. There are so many stats out there that can make this franchise look even worse, but at some point I have to draw the line and enjoy a little baseball. I'll let the Mariners depress me on their own during baseball season.
Agreed and to be clear, I’m not against the Nats making it to the WS because between the Astros and Yankees I rather have an NL team win it.

If the Nats does make it to the WS, what it does for me is that it puts me in a sad mood knowing how sad this franchise is and knowing that we now stand alone.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed and to be clear, I’m not against the Nats making it to the WS because between the Astros and Yankees I rather have an NL team win it.

If the Nats does make it to the WS, what it does for me is that it puts me in a sad mood knowing how sad this franchise is and knowing that we now stand alone.

Yea I get what you are saying. I guess what I am saying is the franchise has done enough to disappoint me so one more thing wont move the needle for me. I'm sure they will find something else soon tho

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I posted this on another thread on here but it is worth noting since M's think they have this thing figured out with some young kids. You know my view on this by now, it is all a sham to buy more time from expectation...not that M's fans have anything to expect from these guys any more.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I posted this on another thread on here but it is worth noting since M's think they have this thing figured out with some young kids. You know my view on this by now, it is all a sham to buy more time from expectation...not that M's fans have anything to expect from these guys any more.

This organization isn’t going to win regardless. Under Dipoto they’ve gone under the “old guys” with a ton of money route and still has nothing to show for.

Remember they had guys like Cano, Felix, and Cruz for years. Then they brought in guys like Gordon, this is while paying an aging Seager top 3B dollars.

I’d also like to point out that the tweet is a garbage take. It does not consider the facts that these teams are winning because they have homegrown players. They added critical veterans as needed to sustain winning.

NW we agreed on most takes but this is something I disgreed with. In the case of the M’s it is time for them to go young and start homegrowing talents.

Last edited:

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This organization isn’t going to win regardless. Under Dipoto they’ve gone under the “old guys” with a ton of money route and still has nothing to show for.

Remember they had guys like Cano, Felix, and Cruz for years. Then they brought in guys like Gordon, this is while paying an aging Seager top 3B dollars.

I’d also like to point out that the tweet is a garbage take. It does not consider the facts that these teams are winning because they have homegrown players. They added critical veterans as needed to sustain winning.

NW we agreed on most takes but this is something I disgreed with. In the case of the M’s it is time for them to go young and start homegrowing talents.

I think you missed the point that I see. It isn't about over spending it is about adding veterans with legit winning history. Not past-their-prime vets, not over hyped and over paid vets, but vets with value and a good price but not heavily over paid price. Thinking whatever we have in the minors will make us a winner is insane. Who teaches these kids how to win in a 162 game season? You need veteran winners to teach the young guys how to win. Remember in the mid 90's we had the best cast of young players ever assembled in Seattle and still couldn't make the series. Our refusal to add veteran players of value to the cast cost us a generation of World Series challenging baseball.

I bring this up because JD's refusal to spend on vets this off season. This is the off season to do it. The majority of the youth played up this past year and now we need to show them how to win and vets with winning pedigrees are who does that and not wussy managers. If we wait til 2021 to add leadership on the field, that would be two years of mass losing for these guys we want to e part of a future winning team. Losing is as contagious as winning is. Now is the time to teach it.

Sorry for any sloppiness or incoherent thoughts but I had kidney stone surgery this week and the meds have me really off.

Not sure if I made my argument for adding talented vets because my head is foggy.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No common sense would be to bring in some good vets this offseason to help groom these younger guys.
There is clearly a big hole at 1st base, hell even 3rd base cause Kyle will fall into a dark closet again.
Then you have the starting rotation and the bullpen, maybe a vet that actually close out some close games for you...

My football season is over so I'm looking forward to baseball again.... ( football season over before the end of October:L)

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go Houston!! :yes:

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

To be fair though, those numbers are a little misleading when it comes to the production of those older players. Pitching staff’s sure and Molina from the Cards, but it’s not like guys shining or shined in the playoffs are all 30 and older. But to the point, yes going all young is idiotic and has never worked. The Astros were talented but brought in vets to show them how to be pros, just like the Rays were talented as hell but were a joke until they brought in some vets and they made the WS, Cubs same thing.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’ll amend part of what I said, Howie Kendrick is old and he contributed. Though I still think the numbers are misleading pretending the Nationals and Astros were the 01 Mariners where they were carried by vets.