• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

to DH ot Not to DH ... That is the question

The DH Rule

• Total voters

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The DH is really useful for extending the shelf life of players who suck at fielding so ultimately I think it needs to be in the game. I just generally agree that the NL rules make for a more pure game but if you ask the average 7-year-old then they'll tell you that they want to see another guy in there who can hit. The DH is for casual fans and the game needs more casual fans.

Game length is a much bigger deal for me. Quick replays, pitch clock...do whatever you can...just trim the game length down as much as possible without impacting stats too much.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The DH is really useful for extending the shelf life of players who suck at fielding so ultimately I think it needs to be in the game.
One of the reasons I hate the rule.

I just generally agree that the NL rules make for a more pure game but if you ask the average 7-year-old then they'll tell you that they want to see another guy in there who can hit.
LOL

I really couldn’t have put it any better!

The DH is for casual fans and the game needs more casual fans.

Great argument that I can’t argue against. This, ultimately, is why the DH will in fact be in the NL within the next 10 years. I hate it, but it is the truth.

Game length is a much bigger deal for me. Quick replays, pitch clock...do whatever you can...just trim the game length down as much as possible without impacting stats too much.
I agree to an extent, but I don’t know what can really be done here to make any real changes. Fine tuning replay is important. But I think that is more important for game flow than time saving (while both would be affected). The pitch clock already exists hand has long before the recent focus on time of play), it is simply ignored by everyone. But even in a perfect world, how much time would that really save? 3 mins off the average game time? Who would even totice that?

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You realize all those useless additional moves make the game longer, right?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you’re talking pace of play, it’s a relevant point
My point is that pace of play, as a whole, is a stupid goal. The changes to the mound visits this year have helped, without really affecting the game itself. But has it really affected the time of play? Pitch clock has existed forever in concept, but it has never been enforced. Now that it actually exists in really, it is still not enforced. Replays seam to be quicker this year, but I am not sure it has affected time of play in any rapeal niticible manner.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baseball's killer app is quirkiness and variety. Fans like the fact that every park is different and there's no game clock . I prefer both DH rules so you get variety. Otherwise why not make every park the same?
Even if every park was identical in size and dimension, there are still variables since no two ballparks are in the same geography. The wind blowing in at Wrigley is not the same as the wind blowing in in Detroit.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if every park was identical in size and dimension, there are still variables since no two ballparks are in the same geography. The wind blowing in at Wrigley is not the same as the wind blowing in in Detroit.

and altitude affects a ballgame more than any other sporting event.

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am in favor of both leagues being the same. If force to make a choice I would say DH, but the NL rule is good too.
As an oldtimer I hate the DH. All a DH does is sit on the bench and collect splinters. I like all nine players hitting. JMHO.

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is the wind blowing in Oakland the same as blowing in San Francisco? Or is the wind blowing in Chicago the same for the White Sox as it is for the Cubs? How about New york?