• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

To add to my objectivity cred....a bit on Crosby and Ovie

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
(not that I think anyone has really questioned my objectivity)

Japers reprinted some excepts from the new Ovechkin book and I thought that this was pretty interesting and would make some of the Pens fans happy:

"The hate between Crosby and Ovechkin really began with their first meeting—physical meeting that is—midway through the first period. They weren’t ships passing in the night then—more like trains colliding at the crossing. Canadian coach Brent Sutter matched the line of Bergeron between Crosby and Corey Perry against Ovechkin’s line, with the punishing defence tandem of Dion Phaneuf and Shea Weber backing them up. Crosby was only 17, had to wear a full faceshield under IIHF rules and had been moved to the wing from his usual center position in deference to his older, more experienced teammates. He wore No. 9 on his red Team Canada jersey, not the No. 87 he would make famous. With Russia down 2–0 partway through the first period, Ovechkin carried the puck down the left wing and pulled up just outside the Canadian blueline rather than take on Weber directly, taking a sharp turn to his right. It wasn’t that Ovechkin was being too cute—that type of curl-up with puck possession is routine in European hockey, and would become one of Ovechkin’s trademark moves in the NHL. This time, however, he underestimated the danger on the NHL-sized rink at the Ralph Englestad Arena on the campus of the University of North Dakota and the speed that back-checking forwards could close with. He also had his head turned, looking for teammates to catch up and didn’t pick up Crosby skating hard into the frame. He only felt him. In the crosshairs. Though giving away four inches and 30 pounds at a minimum, Crosby drove his hip and shoulder into Ovechkin’s torso, separating him from the puck. Ovechkin was staggered by the blow, and while he didn’t fall, he was clearly hurt as he winced and shook his head. Crosby had been winded himself but didn’t want Ovechkin to know, so he got up the ice like it was just another day at the office. Ovechkin played a few more shifts and continued to absorb punishment, including a pair of hard checks to his chest from Bergeron, plus shots from Perry and Mike Richards. It felt like when he was a kid and every time the elevator door opened The Demon would ambush him. He couldn’t play. By the second period he was watching from the bench. By the time of the post-game press conference, he had his right arm in a sling, protecting a separated shoulder. If the hit wasn’t pre-meditated, exactly, it was an opportunity that Crosby had been looking for, and he took it with relish. "Yeah, I knew it was him [Ovechkin]," Crosby said. "And really it was a situation that we knew to look for. From watching him and from the scouting reports we knew that Ovechkin liked to pull up at the blue line and skate towards the middle."

Ovechkin went back to Moscow where he’d heal and eventually rejoin Dynamo and wait out the rest of the NHL lockout. Crosby went back to Rimouski, a small town in Quebec where he was playing for the local major junior team, and still managed to steal Ovechkin’s thunder."

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ANOTHER Sid / OV thread :rolleyes:

What was that about cred? :D

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ANOTHER Sid / OV thread :rolleyes:

What was that about cred? :D

I actually found it extremely fascinating. I get to see the Pens games A LOT...you know A LOT MORE THAT I WISH TOO... :D and it amazes me how underrated his physicality is. he is not a hitter, but he is a fireplug and really lays shots on guys who try and hit him. He is built like a bowling ball...short, stocky and bottom heavy. Maybe he could solve the Steelers short yardage problem...

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually found it extremely fascinating. I get to see the Pens games A LOT...you know A LOT MORE THAT I WISH TOO... :D and it amazes me how underrated his physicality is. he is not a hitter, but he is a fireplug and really lays shots on guys who try and hit him. He is built like a bowling ball...short, stocky and bottom heavy. Maybe he could solve the Steelers short yardage problem...

We've got 'Red Zone' Redman for that duty, this season:D!

It is an interesting read, 46.... thx. That is still Ovie's trademark move. I noticed in the playoff matchup of the Habs v Caps, Gill and Co. were consistently waiting for that move every time Ovie lugged the puck into the offensive zone.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Bergeron between Crosby and Corey Perry against Ovechkin’s line, with the punishing defence tandem of Dion Phaneuf and Shea Weber

what a fucking line-up. Man, that was a good team.
I didn't realise it was Crosby's hit that hut OV in that tourney. Mike Richards was destroying him all game long. Kind of funny that all three are in the same division now.

I wish you yanks could watch this WJHC tourney every year, it is truly phenomenal hockey. Especially now that US is among the leading contenders every year, you'd love it.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bergeron between Crosby and Corey Perry against Ovechkin’s line, with the punishing defence tandem of Dion Phaneuf and Shea Weber

I didn't realise it was Crosby's hit that hut OV in that tourney. Mike Richards was destroying him all game long. Kind of funny that all three are in the same division now.

I wish you yanks could watch this WJHC tourney every year, it is truly phenomenal hockey. Especially now that US is among the leading contenders every year, you'd love it.

well at least they get it in Buffalo this year but like when they won the last time it was forgotten a week later. I wish that had been front page on every hockey site and sports site across the states. it would help build their already good program. I love hating that US program but I wish it success for my pure greedy reasons :)

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
jesus look at this team

Patrice Bergeron <= Olympic Gold Medal
Ryan Getzlaf <= Olympic Gold Medal and Stanley Cup
Jeff Carter <= SCF appearance
Sidney Crosby <= Olympic Gold Medal and Stanley Cup
Andrew Ladd <= Stanley Cup
Corey Perry <= Olympic Gold Medal and Stanley Cup
Nigel Dawes <= Banished to Calgary
Dion Phaneuf <= Bitch in Toronto
Mike Richards <= Olympic Gold Medal
Colin Fraser <= Stanley Cup
Clarke MacArthur <= Banished to Atlanta
Anthony Stewart <= Just Banished. wow did he disappear
Danny Syvret <= Flyers Minor System
Brent Seabrook <= Olympic Gold Medal and Stanley Cup
Braydon Coburn <= SCF appearance
Cameron Barker <= Poor guy got traded the year the Hawks won the Cup
Shawn Belle <= Oilers or Canadiens Draft Pick??
Stephen Dixon <= Ducks Draft Pick
Shea Weber <= Great Dman for Nashville
Jeremy Colliton <= Poor Bastard drafted by Isles
Jeff Glass <= Senators Property
Rejean Beauchemin <= Flyers Prospect

Last edited by a moderator:

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Me too. The WJ's was sooo much fun to watch. Those kids are playing with so much passion and so much speed. I thought the WJHC was every bit as exciting as the Olympics. It was especially fun seeing it played in Canada due to the atmosphere. Don't get me wrong, I love me some baseball, but I wish that Hockey was huge in the States. It's such a great sport where players are still humble and care for each other.....which is why us Yanks don't embrace the sport.....if there's no baby mama's, trash talking or some other stupid dog and pony show, then well, we just ain't interested.

Rant over.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well at least they get it in Buffalo this year but like when they won the last time it was forgotten a week later. I wish that had been front page on every hockey site and sports site across the states. it would help build their already good program. I love hating that US program but I wish it success for my pure greedy reasons :)

Agreed, it's a fun rivalry with the Canadians (for me anyway). Especially now that we can actually compete with you guys (not overall depth, but at least top 25 players wise). I think this should just keep getting better and better.

And it's ok to hate the U.S. program.....because I sure hate Jordan Eberle :D

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Some of us are Rebs, you no good, dagnab, carpetbaggin son of a......

;):D

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We've got 'Red Zone' Redman for that duty, this season:D!

It is an interesting read, 46.... thx. That is still Ovie's trademark move. I noticed in the playoff matchup of the Habs v Caps, Gill and Co. were consistently waiting for that move every time Ovie lugged the puck into the offensive zone.

I hope they actually keep Redman on the roster this year. he should have been there last year, IMO.

Automattic

I'm baaaaaaack....
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

I get more and more excited about it every year. The interwebz have made hockey even more awesome over the last decade.:cool:

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope they actually keep Redman on the roster this year. he should have been there last year, IMO.

agreed...i thought he had proven himself enough last preseason, but i sure hope THIS preseason is enough proof to keep him on. at least until Frank "the Tank" is ready for action.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
agreed...i thought he had proven himself enough last preseason, but i sure hope THIS preseason is enough proof to keep him on. at least until Frank "the Tank" is ready for action.

I can be an open Steelers supporter this year as I finally have someone I am connected to:

x_MSC6422.jpg

97 jersey FTW!!!!

BTW, you guys are going to love this guy. When I did my Hokie draft analysis, I put this as the best team/player match of the last 5 years and the next thing I know....boom, you all draft him. He is a hard worker and all around good guy...

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can be an open Steelers supporter this year as I finally have someone I am connected to:

x_MSC6422.jpg

97 jersey FTW!!!!

BTW, you guys are going to love this guy. When I did my Hokie draft analysis, I put this as the best team/player match of the last 5 years and the next thing I know....boom, you all draft him. He is a hard worker and all around good guy...

i'm beyond pumped to see him in action...i was happy because as a whole our D (especially on the line) is just getting older, and we really needed to draft some new, young blood there. i think that he was an absolute steal. actually, i've never been more pumped about a steelers draft class. Pouncey is already pushing Hartwig for a starting spot, Antonio Brown is lighting up preseason (mike wallace part deux??? i hope so!), Worilds will be a beast, etc. LOVE IT!

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'm beyond pumped to see him in action...i was happy because as a whole our D (especially on the line) is just getting older, and we really needed to draft some new, young blood there. i think that he was an absolute steal. actually, i've never been more pumped about a steelers draft class. Pouncey is already pushing Hartwig for a starting spot, Antonio Brown is lighting up preseason (mike wallace part deux??? i hope so!), Worilds will be a beast, etc. LOVE IT!

He was one of my favorite ever, and he came back this summer and finished his degree....real good guy, a quick but great read about him and his name change:

Rahway's Jason Worilds about to 'bring praise' to mother's name at NFL Draft | NJ.com

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was one of my favorite ever, and he came back this summer and finished his degree....real good guy, a quick but great read about him and his name change:

Rahway's Jason Worilds about to 'bring praise' to mother's name at NFL Draft | NJ.com

preeeettty sure he's my new favorite steeler...that is the most adorable thing ever. and you're right. that's a steeler if i've ever seen one. no Chad JOHNSON (yeah chad, i said it) hype, just doing his mother an honor and being a respectful, stand up young man. awesome.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
which is why us Yanks don't embrace the sport.....if there's no baby mama's, trash talking or some other stupid dog and pony show, then well, we just ain't interested.

Rant over.
Really, it's more the Rebs me-first mentality that prefers the stupid dog and pony show ;)

Jimmy_the_Tongue

Walks Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey 46....it sounds like you actually respect Sid's game....that's awesome...it's nice to hear that from the fan of another team instead of the "Cindy" crap....nice piece...