• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Titans vs. Ravens, AFC Divisional Round, 7:15 PM CST

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4th down variance and tip drill INT's can make the gap look a lot bigger on the scoreboard than the play actually was, imo. It's pretty good ammo for the people who question if the Ravens can actually play from behind though. In no way were the Ravens meaningfully "exposed." SOL kind of game for them.

People saying the Ravens are overrated are really showing out their asses last night and today.
Yeah, I was surprised at what seems like flat out hatred of Lamar Jackson by a lot of people. Did he run a dog fighting ring that I didn't know about?

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Titans had their A game and the Ravens kept shooting themselves in the foot.

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I was surprised at what seems like flat out hatred of Lamar Jackson by a lot of people. Did he run a dog fighting ring that I didn't know about?

I think people hate change. Watching the NFL for about 50 years and the entire time the pundits have said running QBs can't and won't work in the NFL. They'll get injured and won't be the same unless they learn how to throw from the pocket. Some of them have and did well for a long time, some haven't and didn't do well for the long term, in the end it's pretty stupid to just hate for hate's sake. Just dummies that like to read what they type. Go back 5 or 6 pages and there are all kinds of tards talking shit about the Ravens....just idiots

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think people hate change. Watching the NFL for about 50 years and the entire time the pundits have said running QBs can't and won't work in the NFL. They'll get injured and won't be the same unless they learn how to throw from the pocket. Some of them have and did well for a long time, some haven't and didn't do well for the long term, in the end it's pretty stupid to just hate for hate's sake. Just dummies that like to read what they type.

I certainly hope it's not hate. He's done nothing to hate him. But I think people like saying I told you so. I'm someone who's been saying that kids who are so athletic that they can out run everyone in pop warner then high school then college don't put it in the time and study to become truely great in the pocket. It's not that they aren't smart. But they have always been able to make great plays with their legs and so the need or desire to practice or study how to deliver good passes just ins't there for most. You could see yesterday that Lamar wasn't comfortable throwing. It's like he passes to back up the defense so he can run. Your never going to beat well coached defenses consistently like that.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I certainly hope it's not hate. He's done nothing to hate him. But I think people like saying I told you so. I'm someone who's been saying that kids who are so athletic that they can out run everyone in pop warner then high school then college don't put it in the time and study to become truely great in the pocket. It's not that they aren't smart. But they have always been able to make great plays with their legs and so the need or desire to practice or study how to deliver good passes just ins't there for most. You could see yesterday that Lamar wasn't comfortable throwing. It's like he passes to back up the defense so he can run. Your never going to beat well coached defenses consistently like that.

I hope he puts the time in to become effective in the pocket. You make a great point that some of them just felt they could continue to live off athleticism, but there have been a couple that put the time in to become more effective in the pocket and it payed for them with a long career, Cunningham and Vick come to mind.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope he puts the time in to become effective in the pocket. You make a great point that some of them just felt they could continue to live off athleticism, but there have been a couple that put the time in to become more effective in the pocket and it payed for them with a long career, Cunningham and Vick come to mind.
Cunningham was ahead of his time. Dude was a beast. Vick never studied tape or learned to listen to his coaches about getting better in the pocket. Dude had a rocket arm and was like Lamar running. I think you have to start doing this when you're 14 and in QB camps. You can't learn to be a great pocket passer once you're in the NFL. You can get better but you're taking time away from regular QB study. Thats why the Ravens went all in with Lamar. Just have him do what he does. They rode it as far as it could take them. Next season he will see teams make him run wide more and have to throw more. He's eventually going to get an ankle sprain or a bad hammy then it's just him in the pocket and that's not a recipe for success for him right now. He's gifted and can certainly get better at things and become dangerous. But that run first instinct is hard to get rid of. It took a long time for Steve Young to stop running so much.
Theres a high school coach out here who for forbids his QBs from running. Not because they can't run well but he wants them to learn how to move in the pocket and if nothings there throw it away or just get a few yards . He said he wants them to learn how to be QBs not RBs who can throw a little. Wish I could remember what coach that was.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Some want him to fail for obvious reasons. But some are probably tired of hearing about the "revolution of the QB position" that media types have been pushing a bit too hard for decades. Mobility and running ability have always been assets for a QB, but they're inadequate substutes for a top notch NFL arm.

Maybe Jackson is a combination of both. This regular season says yes. But even if last night was just a choke or bump in the road, he's a unicorn imo. NFL RB ability and NFL QB passing ability is not a combination likely to be found in many human beings going forward.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some want him to fail for obvious reasons. But some are probably tired of hearing about the "revolution of the QB position" that media types have been pushing a bit too hard for decades. Mobility and running ability have always been assets for a QB, but they're inadequate substutes for a top notch NFL arm.

Maybe Jackson is a combination of both. This regular season says yes. But even if last night was just a choke or bump in the road, he's a unicorn imo. NFL RB ability and NFL QB passing ability is not a combination likely to be found in many human beings going forward.
I guess I'm not listening to enough sports talk radio to be annoyed by it yet. Definitely not enough to be actively rooting against him.
But I agree, regardless of what Jackson does I don't think we are going to see a bunch of teams change their philosophy and start using as many designed qb runs as the Ravens.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Obvious reasons?

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cunningham was ahead of his time. Dude was a beast. Vick never studied tape or learned to listen to his coaches about getting better in the pocket. Dude had a rocket arm and was like Lamar running. I think you have to start doing this when you're 14 and in QB camps. You can't learn to be a great pocket passer once you're in the NFL. You can get better but you're taking time away from regular QB study. Thats why the Ravens went all in with Lamar. Just have him do what he does. They rode it as far as it could take them. Next season he will see teams make him run wide more and have to throw more. He's eventually going to get an ankle sprain or a bad hammy then it's just him in the pocket and that's not a recipe for success for him right now. He's gifted and can certainly get better at things and become dangerous. But that run first instinct is hard to get rid of. It took a long time for Steve Young to stop running so much.
Theres a high school coach out here who for forbids his QBs from running. Not because they can't run well but he wants them to learn how to move in the pocket and if nothings there throw it away or just get a few yards . He said he wants them to learn how to be QBs not RBs who can throw a little. Wish I could remember what coach that was.

Randall Cunningham was the very definition of mediocre.

Pure Steel

Hoopla Cash
$ 402.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Long past those guys.

I'm not fussed about them.

But I for sure have teams I don't want to see winning.

One dropped by the wayside yesterday..... And it was beautiful.

On a positive note, you still have 6 teams left to root for......

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Being the best athlete on the field works against developing passing skills, because having the best athlete under center works just fine until the NFL where everyone is a great athlete on the other side of the ball. I saw very little of Jackson until this season but he threw the ball well the few times I watched him and his passing numbers were impressive. Last night he looked like a failed experiment though. But he's still very young and I doubt the regular season the was just smoke & mirrors.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't hate the guy. I hope he succeeds. I don't think Harbaugh is doing him any favors right now. Everybody's talking about how he needs to develop his throwing and Harbs has him running all over the field. Yeah, it was good for the ravens this year but he hasn't fixed anything with his throwing mechanics. And this is a guy who will run 30 yards to gain 10 and then be expected to step into a throw. If he can't figure out a way to get more velocity on his throws he's never going to make it.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not even sure he's tasted Purple Drank.

The hate caught me off guard too. But atleast Stiller fans didn't talk about Antonio Browns twitter account for one evening.