• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Timonen's Career might be over!

Progeriakid

Hanging Pork
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
http://*********************/the-risk-of-blood-clots-and-kimmo-timonens-uncertain-future/

I've read on facebook an article which I cannot locate via the inter web pertaining to Timonen's clot issue, it's a protein C deficiency, which is a genetic disorder and the only course of treatment is blood thinners for the rest of his life which poses high risk of death if he gets an injury to an area of the body which in turn creates a clot which could dislodge and travel his system to his lung/heart causing death. I hate to say it but I think we might have seen the last of a true warrior and a great ambassador to the game. Like Pronger I can see Kimmo landing a front office job right away with the club so he can mentor the young guys and share his vast years of knowledge and experience. I hope I'm wrong but the writing is on the wall, Kimmo you will be greatly missed but always have a place in our Orange hearts!

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude, that sucks, Timonen is my favorite Flyer. Great player, highly underrated, and all class. I wish him the best no matter where his career/life goes. Somethings are more important than hockey and personal health is for sure one of those things.

Best wishes to Kimmo from a Pens fan :suds:

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not surprising. The news sucks as a fan, but his health and personal life after hockey outweighs anything. At some point everything comes to an end. I really would love to see Timmonen stay in the Flyers Org as some kind of coach. For sure he will be missed.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flyers' projected blue line & their stats from last season...

Mark Streit: 10 goals, 34 assists, 44 points, +3
Braydon Coburn: 5 goals, 12 assists, 17 points, -6
Michael Del Zotto:3 goals, 13 assists, 16 points, -9
Nicklas Grossmann: 1 goal, 13 assists, 14 points, -6
Luke Schenn: 4 goals, 8 assists, 12 points, 0
Erik Gustafsson: 2 goals, 8 assists, 10 points, +7
Andrew MacDonald: 0 goals, 4 assists, 4 points, -3
Nick Schultz: 0 goals, 5 assists, 5 points, -13
Hal Gill:0 goals, 0 assists, 0 points, 0

Kimmo Timonen had 6 goals, 29 assists, 35 points, and was a +5.

Clearly Timonen's void will be impossible to fill with the current roster, but I could see guys like Del Zotto, Gustafsson, & MacDonald upping their games from last season and somewhat compensating for the loss. Other than Streit, IDK who will run the PP tho, unless they move forwards to play the role of dmen.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not surprising. The news sucks as a fan, but his health and personal life after hockey outweighs anything. At some point everything comes to an end. I really would love to see Timmonen stay in the Flyers Org as some kind of coach. For sure he will be missed.

this post to a T.

He will certainly be missed.

Clearly Timonen's void will be impossible to fill with the current roster, but I could see guys like Del Zotto, Gustafsson, & MacDonald upping their games from last season and somewhat compensating for the loss. Other than Streit, IDK who will run the PP tho, unless they move forwards to play the role of dmen.

They didn't resign Gustafsson.. I think he's going to play somewhere in Europe next season? I would confirm, but my internet is superrr slow right now.

edit: here we go, http://www.nj.com/flyers/index.ssf/...ik_gustafsson_leaving_nhl_to_play_in_khl.html

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really will come down to MDZ IMO. He really needs to be the Flyers' 2nd best dman in a big way.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really will come down to MDZ IMO. He really needs to be the Flyers' 2nd best dman in a big way.

I disagree with that. I think Coburn, MacDonald, and Streit can all be better than him and they could still have a good season. They're just gunna have to do it by committee this year. They don't have a pairing they can throw out there for 23-25 minutes to try to hide deficiencies. Anybody they put out there that long will get exposed.

I just hope they don't panic. The defense looks shaky at best, but don't sacrifice the future because your defense is going to have to step up big time just to be respectable.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This isn't a surprise, they'll have to do it by committee

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Schenn will continue to improve and I bet one of the young dmen will impress enough to make this team. I'd still take Timonen for one more year though....ah well wish him the best!

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lack of a big time defense in Philly is par for the course for a long time. We play out the season with what we got and hopefully our defensive core gets better when the kids are ready.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree with that. I think Coburn, MacDonald, and Streit can all be better than him and they could still have a good season. They're just gunna have to do it by committee this year. They don't have a pairing they can throw out there for 23-25 minutes to try to hide deficiencies. Anybody they put out there that long will get exposed.

I just hope they don't panic. The defense looks shaky at best, but don't sacrifice the future because your defense is going to have to step up big time just to be respectable.

I think Del Zotto had an off year. Just 2.5 seasons ago he was a 41 point scorer. I think he has the offensive upside to make up for Timonen's absence if he plays to his potential. Of course, no 1 person on the team will be able to fill in for Timonen's role on the team, so a lot of players will have to pick it up in order to make up for the loss.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think one thing people need to remember too, the forwards need to step up defensively as well - sometimes the forwards would slack off defensively and that didn't help the d-men - it's not just on the d-men - the forwards have to be responsible as well - that means guys like Claude Giroux and Jake Voracek need to work their butts off defensively and get back whenever there are breakaways or odd man rushes - and the second line(whoever's on that line) has to be way better defensively

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think one thing people need to remember too, the forwards need to step up defensively as well - sometimes the forwards would slack off defensively and that didn't help the d-men - it's not just on the d-men - the forwards have to be responsible as well - that means guys like Claude Giroux and Jake Voracek need to work their butts off defensively and get back whenever there are breakaways or odd man rushes - and the second line(whoever's on that line) has to be way better defensively

I agree the forwards need to step up defensively, but I think the Flyers will miss Timonen most when it comes to point presence. Other than Mark Streit, IDK if there's anyone who could bring that point presence to the team, particularly on the PP. Maybe a forward could be subbed in Timonen's place at the blue line? :noidea:

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm not nearly as worried about losing the points Timonen generated so much as I am the points he prevented (though losing him on the PP point is not a good thing either). Mason had to stand on his head a bunch already last season, in particular at the start of the year. Looks like he might have to repeat that while we relearn defense...

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not nearly as worried about losing the points Timonen generated so much as I am the points he prevented (though losing him on the PP point is not a good thing either). Mason had to stand on his head a bunch already last season, in particular at the start of the year. Looks like he might have to repeat that while we relearn defense...

Read an article that touched up on that...

Why the 2014-15 Philadelphia Flyers' Success Hinges on Steve Mason's Play | Bleacher Report

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1t7uwg.jpg

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is unfortunate, but he was in the twilight of his career regardless. I am very confident in the ability of Streit to run the top power play unit and guys like MacDonald, Coburn, Del Zotto and even Schenn can fill voids on the point if necessary. Also, I think forwards like Reid or Umberger could fill these roles as well.

greenfever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very sad indeed but he was on the downside of his career anyway

FadeToBlack

I'm a "member"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Press conference at 330p. Differentiating opinions from sources on what is happening. Seems probable that he may announce his retirement... don't know why they'd need a presser for him to play this season.