• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Time to pull the curtain ? Steelers pre game

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some good insight from the Steelers board...
Number of things. Offense is the biggest issue. They apparently don’t know how to run the ball, or simply just don’t care to try. They threw the ball 51 times against the Ravens that had all of their starters in the secondary. Going that 1 dimensional against their only strength was sheer stupidity. But they’ve been doing that for months now, basically accepting empty shotgun sets as their best identity. It works ok if the receivers catch the ball. Yesterday we saw what happens when they don’t have consistency. This coaching staff deserves some blame though

My biggest concern is how this formula won’t work against more rounded teams. Chiefs will blow them out of the water if they cannot get their ground game going.
On the Oline...
Appreciate them for what they do. Their pass blocking is amazing.

But they can't run block at all. They know it, and the scheme is to use passing to replace it. So sometimes they have to bang their head into a brick wall and force throws when they would rather run.

The Steelers have some great pass catchers, but they also drop balls too often, which isn't good for this offense to sustain a SB run. Tomlin needs to be putting the fear of god into DJ and Ebron this week. They can't drop balls against Buffalo and Indy. And it'll absolutely kill them in the playoffs.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure what to expect from this game at all. Depends on the Jekyl & Hyde Steelers, and which team shows up to play. If WFT can find a way to get points early on then they will be in great position to control the game. Steelers offense is notoriously slow in the 1st half. Their 1st quarter stats alone are pathetic. Basically what I'm saying is the best way to get after the Steelers is to punch them in the mouth right from kickoff and take them by surprise.

Steelers' offense is obviously very pass-heavy, and quick-passing is their MO. Ben doesn't hold the ball longer than 3sec very often. That strategy should do well to take away Washington's best strength on defense, which is their pass rush. The best way to defend this is to have the DBs sit in cover 2 with an 8yd cushion. The keyword being "sit". Let the quick pass come to them while keeping their eyes on Ben. Also, D-line needs to get its paws up. Disrupting the Steelers offense is pretty easy to do, but sooner or later Ben will go no-huddle and that's when the Steelers offense thrives.

Steelers defense is a tougher cookie to crack. Injuries are likely to take a lot of the dominant presence out of them, but they are still a very formidable group. Butler is the most aggressive blitz schemer in the league. He will find a way to harass Smith all game long.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure what to expect from this game at all. Depends on the Jekyl & Hyde Steelers, and which team shows up to play. If WFT can find a way to get points early on then they will be in great position to control the game. Steelers offense is notoriously slow in the 1st half. Their 1st quarter stats alone are pathetic. Basically what I'm saying is the best way to get after the Steelers is to punch them in the mouth right from kickoff and take them by surprise.

Steelers' offense is obviously very pass-heavy, and quick-passing is their MO. Ben doesn't hold the ball longer than 3sec very often. That strategy should do well to take away Washington's best strength on defense, which is their pass rush. The best way to defend this is to have the DBs sit in cover 2 with an 8yd cushion. The keyword being "sit". Let the quick pass come to them while keeping their eyes on Ben. Also, D-line needs to get its paws up. Disrupting the Steelers offense is pretty easy to do, but sooner or later Ben will go no-huddle and that's when the Steelers offense thrives.

Steelers defense is a tougher cookie to crack. Injuries are likely to take a lot of the dominant presence out of them, but they are still a very formidable group. Butler is the most aggressive blitz schemer in the league. He will find a way to harass Smith all game long.
thanks for stopping by , we are the kings of slow starts often falling 17 points down or more . we havent had an opening drive score any points all year

good luck to your team and hopefully no one gets hurt

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thanks for stopping by , we are the kings of slow starts often falling 17 points down or more . we havent had an opening drive score any points all year

good luck to your team and hopefully no one gets hurt
Sounds like we'll be in for a low-scoring game then. Let the punting battle commence!

Good luck to your team as well, and definitely hope everyone stays healthy!

Whats your take on Alex Smith this year? I haven't had the opportunity to watch him play yet.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like we'll be in for a low-scoring game then. Let the punting battle commence!

Whats your take on Alex Smith this year? I haven't had the opportunity to watch him play yet.
Average at best. He can't move well anymore which isn't a surprise considering all he has been through. Not sure how much of that is the brace he wears to protect his lower leg. He had a couple of 300+ yard games in losses and a couple of under 200 yard games in wins. He checks down a lot mixed in with slants by McLaurin. I am interested in seeing how Terry does against Minkah and Joe Hayden.

What I am expecting is Pittsburgh stuffs the run. That is the way to beat the WTF offense. Looking to see what JDR comes up with to put pressure on Ben. He gets the ball out fast. Your WRs dropped a lot of passes last week against the Ravens. I don't expect that to happen again.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

he is still CDC . i think he has exceeded expectations and against these lower tier teams he has been the difference in wins . now the real tests begin

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This will be the battle of the short pass and who can play D best. CDC's name is well earned. Big Ben gets the ball out fast these days.

All you can do is beat the teams on your schedule, Pittsburgh has done that. I wouldn't mind if they lost their first one though.

I think a big key in this game will be time of possession, moving the sticks, and keeping the defense off the field as much as possible.

countryroads316

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
stole 2 of my keys to victory

Washington's Keys to Victory
1.Defense get after Big Ben
2.Win Turnover Battle
3.Run the Ball and Dictate the game I believe our run game is better

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If that's the case. We may be in for seeing the ugliest 1st qt or 1st half in modern football. Aside from the games against the Cowboys. The Skins haven't been able to find a way to get out of a paper bag with the bottom torn out in the 1st half.

I watched the Ravens/Steelers game last Tue or Wed. The announcers said Ben had been getting rid of the ball on average at about 2.5 seconds this year and in 2.1 seconds in the 1st half of game they were playing. I thought that was crazy given the way he used to hold onto the ball in his younger days. It is impressive how Ben was able to change up that part of his game. It'll be imperative that Skins DBs and LBs tackle well in this game. Hopefully they can come up with a couple bobbles or misfires.

Yeah, that blitzing worries me quite a bit. I'm hopeful the Skins can take advantage of that aggressiveness with some quick hitting runs and quick slants to WRs.

Did you hear me, Alex. Quick slants to WRs. Not 3 yd passes to RBs on 3rd n 7.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting. Playing CB

What was surprising to me was how the Steelers are going to go with Cam Sutton on the outside, in place of Nelson.

It wasn’t a surprise as in Sutton can’t handle the job, he can, but the Steelers have options at cornerback. For the first time in a long time, the Steelers’ secondary is filled with capable, and versatile, players. The simplest, and easiest, solution to not having Nelson is to plug Sutton into that role. But it begs the question what they will do when the defense goes into their dime sub packages.

Will the Steelers put Justin Layne on the outside and move Sutton to his usual role in that specific sub package? The Steelers have something they haven’t had in a long time in their secondary, and that is options. This will be something to keep an eye on during the game Monday when the Washington Football Team comes to Heinz Field for a 5 p.m. ET kickoff.