• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Time To Expect The Expected In This Years Playoffs?

Wolvie

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no defense has ever won a championship ever. Offense needs to score points or you win nothing. I don't give a damn what defense is ranked number one. Not a single one of them has ever won a championship or outscored an offense. The only thing a defense can do is help the offense to be in a better position to score and keep the other team from scoring too much but no defense has ever won any championship ever. Its just a cute slogan

This aint baseball, defenses CAN score

Wolvie

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't count out anyone in the playoffs this year except the Bengals & Chiefs. I don't remember ever seeing this much parody at the top before.

...but I'm pretty sure when Alex Smith & Andy Dalton were born God touched them & said, "You will never win a Super Bowl." Pretty sure.

I would not be surprised to see KC play in Cinci in the AFCC

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no defense has ever won a championship ever. Offense needs to score points or you win nothing. I don't give a damn what defense is ranked number one. Not a single one of them has ever won a championship or outscored an offense. The only thing a defense can do is help the offense to be in a better position to score and keep the other team from scoring too much but no defense has ever won any championship ever. Its just a cute slogan

I get your point...if an offense scores 0 pts it doesn't matter how great the defense plays...you can't win without the offense scoring a point. Sure okay...I'll run with that. So in a 6-3 game...are you still saying the offense won the game? Obviously the offense had to score 6 points to win the game but if the defense didn't hold the opposing team to 3 then there's no W

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the topic of "defenses winning championships" let's take a look at the past superbowl participants

Superbowl 47
- Ravens (12th ranked defense)
- 49ers (2nd ranked defense)

Superbowl 46
- Giants (25th ranked defense)
- Patriots (15th ranked defense)

Superbowl 45
- Packers (2nd ranked defense)
- Steelers (1st ranked defense)

Superbowl 44
- Saints (20th ranked defense)
- Colts (8th ranked defense)

Superbowl 43
- Cardinals (28th ranked defense)

Superbowl 42
- Giants (17th ranked defense)
- Patriots (4th ranked defense)

Superbowl 41
- Colts (23rd ranked defense)
- Bears (3rd ranked defense)

Superbowl 40
- Steelers* (3rd ranked defense)
- Seahawks (7th ranked defense)

Superbowl 39
- Patriots (2nd ranked defense)
- Eagles (3rd ranked defense)

To me it seems like the trend is to either have a top defense or a quarterback that gets red hot at the right time (Eli twice, Flacco last year, Kurt Warner the year the Cards made it). Either that or have your lowly rated defense play like a top defense in the playoffs (Giants defense 14 ppg in 2011, Colts defense 16 ppg in 2006).

Midnightangel

Troll slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the topic of "defenses winning championships" let's take a look at the past superbowl participants

Superbowl 47
- Ravens (12th ranked defense)
- 49ers (2nd ranked defense)

Superbowl 46
- Giants (25th ranked defense)
- Patriots (15th ranked defense)

Superbowl 45
- Packers (2nd ranked defense)

Superbowl 44
- Saints (20th ranked defense)
- Colts (8th ranked defense)

Superbowl 43
- Cardinals (28th ranked defense)

Superbowl 42
- Giants (17th ranked defense)
- Patriots (4th ranked defense)

Superbowl 41
- Colts (23rd ranked defense)
- Bears (3rd ranked defense)

Superbowl 40
- Steelers* (3rd ranked defense)
- Seahawks (7th ranked defense)

Superbowl 39
- Patriots (2nd ranked defense)
- Eagles (3rd ranked defense)

To me it seems like the trend is to either have a top defense or a quarterback that gets red hot at the right time (Eli twice, Flacco last year, Kurt Warner the year the Cards made it). Either that or have your lowly rated defense play like a top defense in the playoffs (Giants defense 14 ppg in 2011, Colts defense 16 ppg in 2006).

First, how are you ranking them? Yardage or points?

Second...I notice how you slid that asterick in on SB XL. So, tell me again how you guys in Seattle are over that loss.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I wouldn't count out anyone in the playoffs this year except the Bengals & Chiefs. I don't remember ever seeing this much parody at the top before.

...but I'm pretty sure when Alex Smith & Andy Dalton were born God touched them & said, "You will never win a Super Bowl." Pretty sure.

:lol:

I have a feeling that God did that with Jay Cutler too.

boltfan72

ex-Charger fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Super Bowl XXXV: Ravens 34, Giants 7

Giants offense scored zero points, with their lone TD coming on a 97 yard kickoff return.

Ravens defense scored 7 points on an INT return.

So yes, defense can win championships.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Giants offense scored zero points, with their lone TD coming on a 97 yard kickoff return.

LOL Nice example of the old axiom that defense wins championships. Definitely helps to have a good defense. And a good offense. And special teams too!

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It is an old cliche. But still, how many times has a team that is always in shootouts won a Super Bowl?

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First, how are you ranking them? Yardage or points?

Second...I notice how you slid that asterick in on SB XL. So, tell me again how you guys in Seattle are over that loss.

The rankings are by points, but if you do yardage...for the most part...they are very similar

And the asterisk thing was thrown in there as a joke lol, wanted to see if anyone would notice

Doublejive

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Defense is not near as big a difference as it was even ten years ago now twenty years ago the game is night and day and Brady and Manning would not have these huge numbers,not a chance.

I agree with some of the changes but WR's and QB's have almost turned into Techmo Bowl players.

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Really....

Super Bowl VI: Dallas 24 Miami 3. Holding a team to 3 points. Nuff said.

Super Bowl IX: Pittsburgh 16 Minnesota 6. Vikings lone score came via a blocked punt.

Super Bowl XII: Dallas 27 Denver 10. Craig Morton throws 4 interceptions The writers wanted to vote the entire Dallas defense as MVP, but finally settled on splitting the award between defensive linemen Harvey Martin and Randy White.

Super Bowl XX: Bears 46 Patriots 10. The Patriots, as a team, only recorded 123 total offensive yards. Of their 21 offensive plays in the first half, only 4 resulted in positive yards.

You were saying?

codycmon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cam Newton had his two worst games as a pro against the Seahawks in his own stadium, no way will he be able to beat the Hawks in their stadium. Saints or 49ers might have a chance to beat the Hawks, but that's about it.

carson palmer had 1 td and 4 picks and won in seattle.

CaptainStubing

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would that be? It's not exactly Pats/Giants or Packers/Steelers.

agreed. the seahawks are not a 'big name' team that would garner extra eyeballs. people on the east coast, where most of the viewers are, don't care about the seahawks. out of the teams that are in the playoffs, probably a packers or eagles vs. patriots SB would get the highest tv rating.

ram29jackson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LOL that's cute and all but ultimately you cant win a majority of anything without offensive scoring. LinebACKERS WILL always be paid less than QBs by and large for a reason.

no defense has ever lead the league in scoring and you cant devise a gameplan that relies on defensive point production = therefore no defense wins any championships.

CaptainStubing

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well, already on the first day of the playoffs, the 'expected' was thrown out the window, as it usually is in January.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
agreed. the seahawks are not a 'big name' team that would garner extra eyeballs. people on the east coast, where most of the viewers are, don't care about the seahawks. out of the teams that are in the playoffs, probably a packers or eagles vs. patriots SB would get the highest tv rating.

You do have a point that the Seahawks as a franchise aren't a big name and don't compare historically to the teams mentioned above like the Patriots, Giants, Packers, etc

But I think the general public gets excited for potential top match ups...like when Colts-Saints played...the two #1 teams...Peyton vs Brees...two highest scoring offenses...

The die hards love seeing teams with history...but believe it or not...the general public outnumbers the die hard...

My comment on the ratings was more based on the Denver Broncos than the Seahawks. This is Peyton's record breaking year. If he makes it to the big show...people will tune in to watch. As for the Seahawks...I believe they present the most "appealing match up" to go against Denver with the #1 offense vs #1 defense

Also...you are right that some people don't care much for the Seahawks and apparently a good amount of people dislike the Seahawks. So I'm sure those people will tune in to watch and hope for Denver to blow us out.

CaptainStubing

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do have a point that the Seahawks as a franchise aren't a big name and don't compare historically to the teams mentioned above like the Patriots, Giants, Packers, etc

But I think the general public gets excited for potential top match ups...like when Colts-Saints played...the two #1 teams...Peyton vs Brees...two highest scoring offenses...

The die hards love seeing teams with history...but believe it or not...the general public outnumbers the die hard...

My comment on the ratings was more based on the Denver Broncos than the Seahawks. This is Peyton's record breaking year. If he makes it to the big show...people will tune in to watch. As for the Seahawks...I believe they present the most "appealing match up" to go against Denver with the #1 offense vs #1 defense

Also...you are right that some people don't care much for the Seahawks and apparently a good amount of people dislike the Seahawks. So I'm sure those people will tune in to watch and hope for Denver to blow us out.

well, i think there are 'some' that probably dislike the seahawks because of pete carroll and all their ped usage.

however, i think for the casual fan on the east coast, they don't like or dislike the hawks.......... they just have indifference. you are correct that denver would be more of a 'draw' because the casual fan at least knows who Peyton is.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
So far it's shaping up to be a Seahawks-Broncos Superbowl, IMO. I think both the Seahawks and the Broncos win this week.