• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Time To Expect The Expected In This Years Playoffs?

boltfan72

ex-Charger fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For some reason I feel like SF is going to peak at the right time.

49ers 28, Pats 24

CaptainStubing

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cam Newton had his two worst games as a pro against the Seahawks in his own stadium, no way will he be able to beat the Hawks in their stadium.

i agree to a certain extent. i've been hearing some people bringing up the panthers as the biggest obstacle for the seahawks. i'm on the fence with that sentiment. I think the panthers offense doesn't match up well against the hawks. however, the panthers defense is so damn good that i could see them single-handedly winning any ball game against anyone.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the playoffs are pretty much going to be chalk except for whoever plays the niners in the first 2 rounds. I hope I am wrong & get surprise by some upsets.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure that has held true much lately. Last year the Ravens were ranked something like 17th in the regular season. The year before that the Giants were 27th. The year before that the Packers were 5th. The year before that the Saints were 25th. The year before that the Steelers were 1st. The year before that Giants were 7th. And finally the year before that the Colts were 21st.

All that to say that the old saying defense wins championships doesn't always hold true. There are many ways to win in the NFL these days. Last year for Baltimore it was because Flacco got hot and they got a couple of lucky bounces to go their way at the right time.

The Giants stat is misleading. I believe they had injuries during the seaaon but they got healthy for their playoff run
Their defense played really well during that run. They played well against my team in playoffs. Even Baltimore's D played ok.

CaptainStubing

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the playoffs are pretty much going to be chalk except for whoever plays the niners in the first 2 rounds. I hope I am wrong & get surprise by some upsets.

don't worry. there will be upsets. there always are.

Mondio

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If GB gets by SF I could see them beating the rest of the teams, including Seattle in Seattle. But for now, I give Seattle the nod for the NFC representative. I don't think Carolina beats them, I think Seattle's offense is better than Carolina and I think their Defense is the type defense that will make Carolina change their gameplan and will result in more mistakes by Newton. I don't see the Saints taking a road trip and stringing together enough wins to make it. I'm not sure Philly goes beyond round one. GB either, but I'm hoping :)

for the AFC, I don't think cincy is consistent enough. The Pats are battered, but I think if any team can find a way to get it done, ugly or flashy, they can. I don't think the Broncos make it but my opinion will change depending on the matchups they draw. I don't see the Colts as strong enough to last thru the playoffs. SD might win a game or two, but I don't see them finishing the ride either. I think the Pats or KC is the AFC representative as I think both will beat the Broncos in the playoffs should they meet. I know denver has already beaten KC, but I think Reid will know what needs to be done to beat them, and they will.

boltfan72

ex-Charger fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know denver has already beaten KC, but I think Reid will know what needs to be done to beat them, and they will.

The Chargers showed them how to do it: run it up their asses and keep Manning on the bench. KC is certainly capable of doing that. Wouldn't surprise me one bit.

Midnightangel

Troll slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Chargers showed them how to do it: run it up their asses and keep Manning on the bench. KC is certainly capable of doing that. Wouldn't surprise me one bit.

The problem is that KC is run heavy already. If you put 8 men in the box you take away the run and they don't have the passing game to compensate.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Saints and Colts made it in not that long ago.

People are really underrating Seattle, San Fran and to a less extent Carolina's offense. These guys have been playing elite defenses all year. 1 of those teams will win the Super Bowl

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The last time both #1 seeds made the Super Bowl was 2009: Colts and Saints.

The last time before that was 1993: Cowboys-Bills rematch.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be surprised if the Broncos make it to the Super Bowl. I don't think their defense is good enough, especially with Miller now out of the lineup. Manning still has a lot to prove in terms of being clutch in the postseason as far as I'm concerned. Rex Grossman won't be the QB of any of the teams his team will play.

My darkhorse is Carolina in the NFC. Nobody is really talking about them. They went to San Francisco & beat the 49ers. Their D is legit & Newton is a playmaker. We'll see.

PackMaster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cam Newton had his two worst games as a pro against the Seahawks in his own stadium, no way will he be able to beat the Hawks in their stadium. Saints or 49ers might have a chance to beat the Hawks, but that's about it.

The packers just beat the seahawks last year in their house, I wouldn't discount them..

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
The packers just beat the seahawks last year in their house, I wouldn't discount them..

I wouldn't count out anyone in the playoffs this year except the Bengals & Chiefs. I don't remember ever seeing this much parody at the top before.

...but I'm pretty sure when Alex Smith & Andy Dalton were born God touched them & said, "You will never win a Super Bowl." Pretty sure.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The last time both #1s made it was the year Colts played the Saints. That year those two teams were head and shoulders better than everyone. This year I don't think the margin is that drastic. Seattle is clearly the favorite in the NFC, but imo Carolina and San Fran are really close. The AFC on the other hand, Denver has a much clearer road.

If Seahawks-Broncos does happen I think its gonna have record breaking tv numbers

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have the 9ers and the Broncos in the final dance. Maybe a homer move but I feel the 9ers can make it. I don't see an AFC team beating the Broncos ,but there is that Peyton playoff factor going on. What do I really know about who will be there, it could be the Saints vs the Chargers for all I can tell .

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have the 9ers and the Broncos in the final dance. Maybe a homer move but I feel the 9ers can make it. I don't see an AFC team beating the Broncos ,but there is that Peyton playoff factor going on. What do I really know about who will be there, it could be the Saints vs the Chargers for all I can tell .

I don't think the Saints have a shot. They can't win on the road. I don't expect the Chargers to win in Cincy, but I think it's at least possible.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the Saints have a shot. They can't win on the road. I don't expect the Chargers to win in Cincy, but I think it's at least possible.
I have the Eagles over the Saints due to the weather and their road issues. Wouldn't we be shocked if the Saints light up that offense and wins. Just an 'any given Sunday' scenerio.

ram29jackson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Defense wins championships, so if we go according to that it'll be San Fran, Carolina, Cinci, New Orleans, or Seattle.

no defense has ever won a championship ever. Offense needs to score points or you win nothing. I don't give a damn what defense is ranked number one. Not a single one of them has ever won a championship or outscored an offense. The only thing a defense can do is help the offense to be in a better position to score and keep the other team from scoring too much but no defense has ever won any championship ever. Its just a cute slogan

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no defense has ever won a championship ever. Offense needs to score points or you win nothing. I don't give a damn what defense is ranked number one. Not a single one of them has ever won a championship or outscored an offense. The only thing a defense can do is help the offense to be in a better position to score and keep the other team from scoring too much but no defense has ever won any championship ever. Its just a cute slogan

Yeah that gets the job done. Get your offense easy points with field position and keep the the other team from scoring.

Tacoma_canuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

I agree, especially the bolded part but the newer mantra that seems to be making the rounds is that defense gives you a chance. That seems to be a little more accurate in today's game. As for what's going to happen, I have no clue. Whatever team gets hot seems to be the one this time of year. San Fran scares me right now in the NFC. Lambeau is a tough place to start but I don't think Green Bay can score enough on the Niners D to overcome their bad defense. New Orleans, as we have all stated, is a completely different team on the road. Philly can maybe win one game but I'm doubtful they are a factor yet. Carolina could make some noise and if (big if for now, at least) San Fran can get through Seattle, Carolina would host the NFCCG. That could be huge. As for my Hawks team, yes they are the favorite and have a great defense and great HFA, but they can be beat if the offense doesn't get their act together right from the start. Their slow starts have been putting too much of a load on the defense and a couple of injuries or other bad breaks could spell trouble. I still have confidence in the Hawks going all the way until proven wrong but they won't have it easy.

As for the AFC, I think it's as wide open as any conference in recent memory. As much of a favorite as Denver is, they are not unbeatable. 3 other play-off teams in this conference have beaten them this season and the others could possibly do it, too. Anything is possible, imo.

Last edited by a moderator: