• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Time to Change QB

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The real reasons why Colin Kaepernick isn't starting for 49ers - Inside the 49ers

i like this, even the part about Kelly needing to improve his own thinking.

the run game looks bland, are there any counter plays? Believe Gabbert only kept it once? If he always hands it off, then the ZR play is much less effective.
I think alot of that is speculative. Regarding Kelly's offense, plays were there, just wasn't executed. Maybe with the running game there are schematic issues but when teams don't respect the pass, they can play the run much better. Esp good defenses. In the Carolina game, Gabbert just missed on key throws. I see Gabbert looking better in practice as a reason. All that other stuff, IDK.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think alot of that is speculative. Regarding Kelly's offense, plays were there, just wasn't executed. Maybe with the running game there are schematic issues but when teams don't respect the pass, they can play the run much better. Esp good defenses. In the Carolina game, Gabbert just missed on key throws. I see Gabbert looking better in practice as a reason. All that other stuff, IDK.
yes I will go with that answer. teams plan on the run because they know we can't pass the ball. We have a Qb that can't throw past 5 yards. Seattle players even mention this. Its easy to game plan for us right now.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kelly didn't give Gabbert much of an endorsement on his KNBR morning show this morning. I would not be surprised if he is benched in a couple of weeks if the offense continues to struggle.
The problem is that the Niners don't have a decent backup QB.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We will see Kap or Ponder soon. Both better options right now. Gabbert is the worst QB in the league.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We will see Kap or Ponder soon. Both better options right now. Gabbert is the worst QB in the league.

I think that will depend in part in what happens in the Dallas game. If Gabbert and the offense does well, it will buy more time. If they play poorly, it could be real soon. If a change is made, I would guess it would be the Bills game. If we lose to both Dallas and Arizona and the offense is putrid, than I think Kelly is going to be pressured into a change.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kaepernick and Ponder are better options?

Comedy Gold... :pound:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think that will depend in part in what happens in the Dallas game. If Gabbert and the offense does well, it will buy more time. If they play poorly, it could be real soon. If a change is made, I would guess it would be the Bills game. If we lose to both Dallas and Arizona and the offense is putrid, than I think Kelly is going to be pressured into a change.

yeah of course, its play well or sit, and this applies to every player.

At QB its been especially like this from game 1, just that the rope is much shorter now. It is a tough call because once you make the change, you can't simply flip back the following week. I'll be ok with whenever the change is made, because damn if you do, damn if you don't. At least a change gives the APPEARANCE the QB is now better.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah of course, its play well or sit, and this applies to every player.

At QB its been especially like this from game 1, just that the rope is much shorter now. It is a tough call because once you make the change, you can't simply flip back the following week. I'll be ok with whenever the change is made, because damn if you do, damn if you don't. At least a change gives the APPEARANCE the QB is now better.

We know our QB situation is not good. Kelly knows it for sure too. Too early to make a change now and Gabbert doesn't have to play great to keep his job. Expectations are low. But if the losses pile up and the offense is just bad, the only place to really make a change is at QB.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hopefully that is Gabberts last game. Man he sucks. I don't know if I can watch another game with him being the starting QB.

Sucks to lose Bowman.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hopefully that is Gabberts last game. Man he sucks. I don't know if I can watch another game with him being the starting QB.

Sucks to lose Bowman.

I am sure Gabbert is going to start against Az, but after that who knows. I don't really care either way. This season is toast anyway. With the way the D is playing, even if Kap were to regain some of his prior form, he isn't going to be good enough to make up for the defensive efficieny. Losing Bowman was huge not only because he was the defensive leader and one of the best D players, but also because we have a lot of crap playing behind him. I see things getting worse on D moving forward.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am sure Gabbert is going to start against Az, but after that who knows. I don't really care either way. This season is toast anyway. With the way the D is playing, even if Kap were to regain some of his prior form, he isn't going to be good enough to make up for the defensive efficieny. Losing Bowman was huge not only because he was the defensive leader and one of the best D players, but also because we have a lot of crap playing behind him. I see things getting worse on D moving forward.
Yeah you are right. Season is a waste now and to be honest want to tank now. Got to make sure we get a Top 3 pick. Kelly waited to long to make the switch to try and save the season. Tank now. U are right just play gabbert, keep Kap healthy so u can cut him. Maybe you play ponder later in the season to see who you want as your back up QB for next year and to groom the rookie QB.

Bowman injury is big because now we need another MLB next year because he wont be 100% next year. We also now have the Buckner injury. Hope that isnt as bad.

I will take positives from this year going into next. Secondary is in good shape, Oline is in good shape. We have Hyde as our RB and an ok core behind him. So going into the draft in my order of need:
1)QB
2)WR
3)MLB
4)TE
5)OLB
6)Depth for Dline
7)More depth for Oline Tackle position.

That is my break out of our holes and concerns.

You draft a QB and WR rd 1 and 2 so those guys can start out together and build a bond.

Also we will have one of the most money to spend on FA. I wouldnt spend it stupid. Maybe use that money for depth players and maybe a good pass rusher. Save some money for year 2 of the young QB. If we think we are close go get what you need and if we are still year away continue to add small pieces.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
We know our QB situation is not good. Kelly knows it for sure too. Too early to make a change now and Gabbert doesn't have to play great to keep his job. Expectations are low. But if the losses pile up and the offense is just bad, the only place to really make a change is at QB.

Yeah ok, everyone know we'll make a QB change, so the differences of opinion are when?

Too bad Gabbert can't play like the 1st quarter more often. Asking him to do that for four quarters is unrealistic, but why not two and a half, or three?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Sucks to lose Bowman.

regarding watching the QB on TV.......despite Gabbert not bring consistent either, he is easier to watch than Kaep. Why? Because i feel 'comfortable' he sees the right guy and throws it quickly. The key word is 'feel', obviously he doesn't execute enough times. But at least the pass is away and has a chance. If the play breaks down, he seems to run for positive yardage most times.

For Kaep, you can just see he isn't seeing the field, and thus holds the ball. Worse, when the play finally breaks down, he throws it away, runs out of bounds, or takes a sack.

That said, the offensive line is doing a SOLID job NOW in pass protect (not run blocking). So Kaep should do a little better than HIS last two seasons.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yeah you are right. Season is a waste now and to be honest want to tank now. Got to make sure we get a Top 3 pick. Kelly waited to long to make the switch to try and save the season. Tank now. U are right just play gabbert, keep Kap healthy so u can cut him. Maybe you play ponder later in the season to see who you want as your back up QB for next year and to groom the rookie QB.

Bowman injury is big because now we need another MLB next year because he wont be 100% next year. We also now have the Buckner injury. Hope that isnt as bad.

I will take positives from this year going into next. Secondary is in good shape, Oline is in good shape. We have Hyde as our RB and an ok core behind him. So going into the draft in my order of need:
1)QB
2)WR
3)MLB
4)TE
5)OLB
6)Depth for Dline
7)More depth for Oline Tackle position.

That is my break out of our holes and concerns.

You draft a QB and WR rd 1 and 2 so those guys can start out together and build a bond.

Also we will have one of the most money to spend on FA. I wouldnt spend it stupid. Maybe use that money for depth players and maybe a good pass rusher. Save some money for year 2 of the young QB. If we think we are close go get what you need and if we are still year away continue to add small pieces.

i never want to tank a season, i always want to win every game we play. this isn't a wasted season yet, there are 12 games left.

did you expect we'd be a play-off team? did you expect to win 10 games? i predicted winning 6 games, and that is still doable. Palmer is hurt so this Thursday is yet another break for us. Nothing guaranteed, but still an opportunity to win.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i never want to tank a season, i always want to win every game we play. this isn't a wasted season yet, there are 12 games left.

did you expect we'd be a play-off team? did you expect to win 10 games? i predicted winning 6 games, and that is still doable. Palmer is hurt so this Thursday is yet another break for us. Nothing guaranteed, but still an opportunity to win.
No I just thought we would be better. I think we are better then last year year. We are in games but now with the injuries we might be in trouble. It would of been nice to see this D with Lynch, Ward and Bowman and young guys Armstead and Buckner.

Yes a win would be nice but its time to think about the future and this team needs to be in the Top 3-5 to get one of those QB's. I think Kelly knows its a wasted season or he would of made a change at QB already. Most HC would of made the switch. Kelly will get a pass on this year. Baalke needs to go.

I had this team at 6 wins with an outside shot at 8-8 if everything went right. Now I think we are a 2-4 win team. Dallas was one of those wins. Yes Arizona can now be a chance to get a win especially on short week, at home and Palmer out. Other maybe wins will have to come from Bills, TB, Bears, Miami, Jets and Saints.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
regarding watching the QB on TV.......despite Gabbert not bring consistent either, he is easier to watch than Kaep. Why? Because i feel 'comfortable' he sees the right guy and throws it quickly. The key word is 'feel', obviously he doesn't execute enough times. But at least the pass is away and has a chance. If the play breaks down, he seems to run for positive yardage most times.

For Kaep, you can just see he isn't seeing the field, and thus holds the ball. Worse, when the play finally breaks down, he throws it away, runs out of bounds, or takes a sack.

That said, the offensive line is doing a SOLID job NOW in pass protect (not run blocking). So Kaep should do a little better than HIS last two seasons.
No way. Im sorry. Watching Gabbert play is like watching Paint dry. With Kap he brings that excitement. U dont know what to expect. He can have a good game where he is throwing bombs or running down the side line or we might get the Kap that throws stupid Ints and gets sacked. I rather go with the high ceiling player in my opinion.

I dont get why people say that gabbert throws to the right guy and sees the field better. Am I missing something. He throws Ints, cant throw past 10 yards(man that Int yesterday was bad), and he throws short of the 1st down all time. Just because its caught doesnt mean he made the right call. I will say he sees the pass rush better then Kap but overall seeing better when throwing to the receivers I dont see it. He missed a couple open guys yesterday and instead he threw to a guy underneath short of the 1st down.

Look Im not getting into the argument again about Gabbert and Kap. Im just stating I dont see why people think he sees the field better. He throws more Ints then Kap and he cant throw deep. Yes he might complete more passes but thats because he checks down and falls short of the 1st down. In my eyes its the same as an incomplete pass. In my opinion he isnt a smart QB. Time after time we are short on the 1st down. Will he ever learn that 10 yards is a 1st down.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
report on bleacherreport players want Kap as the starter. very interesting. This can get ugly soon. I dont think kelly has lost the locker room but he needs to make the change soon. In my opinion this is not the week to do it because its a short week. Best time to make switch is after the Arizona game. Gives the new QB 10 days to prepare . If the switch happens now are setting Kep or Ponder to fail(whoever the new QB would be).

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah ok, everyone know we'll make a QB change, so the differences of opinion are when?

Too bad Gabbert can't play like the 1st quarter more often. Asking him to do that for four quarters is unrealistic, but why not two and a half, or three?

He started out well and then flipped. The interception was killer because that should have been a TD. The end of the game throw short of the first down marker was a real head scratcher. He was better about not doing that earlier in the game too.