• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tim Flannery...A.K.A. The Flan Man is stepping down as 3rd base coach

Band of Brothers

A Dreamer...trying to find my way home for dinner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, I am going to miss the Flan Man. He cracked me up with him running up and down the line guiding souls home and was a great 3rd base coach. He is going to concentrate on his music I guess and his support for Bryan Stow will continue. Rock on Guitar Man.. Rock On !!

Go Flan Man !!

:suds::clap::thrasher:

on youtube...

Bread - Guitar Man (1972)

posted by toadworm

Rock On and stay strong !

Last edited by a moderator:

Band of Brothers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

First class all the way. Flan gets it and I hope all of his dreams come true. The dude can pick a mean guitar.
I think it's cool he stood up and decided to live life taking care of his health and his family. I heard the story today on KNBR when he said he was bawling watching the movie Perfect Storm watching those guys go out one more time for a few thousand bucks more for fish and never made it back home. A real person who will continue to fight for the rights of others and continue to help Bryan Stow who has become a big part of his life. The Flan Man is a winner and always will be a winner.

:suds::clap:

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, I am going to miss the Flan Man. He cracked me up with him running up and down the line guiding souls home and was a great 3rd base coach. He is going to concentrate on his music I guess and his support for Bryan Stow will continue. Rock on Guitar Man.. Rock On !!

Go Flan Man !!

:suds::clap::thrasher:

on youtube...

Bread - Guitar Man (1972)

posted by toadworm

Rock On and stay strong !

He was a good 3B coach but in my opinion he can be easily replaced.

Band of Brothers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dude you are not looking at the whole picture. First of all Flan is a good friend to Bochy and they have a special friendship that helps get you through a 162 game grind season. They shared some drinks together trying to forget some tough losses but also could celebrate the good times too. Bochy also respected Flan and his wisdom he brought to the team.

The players love Flan and you just have to see the picture of the Panda kissing him on the forehead before a game to see that. The players respected Flan not for just his baseball knowledge but for expanding their minds and to go for other things in their lives besides baseball. He is a big role model.

Flan gave everything he had in his heart,mind , and soul to the team. He really cared. He loves the game and respects the game. He has passed that on to this group of players.

So he will not be easy to be replaced. Yeah they can find a guy to coach 3rd base and he might do a fantastic job, but when you replace someone you have to look at the whole picture.You can try but there is only one Flan Man. He is an original and he sings songs too on those long road trips.

He will be missed more than you know.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baseball, and coaching specifically, is a business of personalities and relationships. Flann was one of the hearts of the team. His absence will be felt in the locker room, I think.

His actual, in game decisions on when to send a guy or when to hold him up was probably a grand total of 15% of what he brought to the team. And yes, THAT will be easy to replace. But his relationship with Bochy will not be easily replaced. When Bochy needed to blow up, he reportedly turned to Flann and ripped him a new one. Flann knew where it was coming from and the two were such good friends it was allowed. Will that vent for Bochy be replaced so easily?

The average fan will never realize this, but I think that losing Flann is probably a bigger loss than Sandoval. Sandoval may have been loved in the locker room, but I don't think I have heard him described as a "leader". The rest of the team worked to keep him in line.

Flann was a strong part of the coaching staff and confidant to Bochy.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I asked this elsewhere, but cant seem to find it now...

How does the staff change in the wake of Flanns departure?

I think the quick names to be considered for 3B are Kelly, Dunston, LeFebvre and Decker. If Kelly moves over, then I think Clark, Snow and Burrell can be added to the mix of possibilities. A dark horse could be Bonds, but I doubt he wants the daily grind of 162 games with travel, so I don't think they go that route.

Side note...

While looking up a few names, I found that Manwaring is a roving catching coach in the system. I had no idea he was back in the fold. I am surprised he doesn't get more coaching talk, the way Decker does.

Band of Brothers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baseball, and coaching specifically, is a business of personalities and relationships. Flann was one of the hearts of the team. His absence will be felt in the locker room, I think.

His actual, in game decisions on when to send a guy or when to hold him up was probably a grand total of 15% of what he brought to the team. And yes, THAT will be easy to replace. But his relationship with Bochy will not be easily replaced. When Bochy needed to blow up, he reportedly turned to Flann and ripped him a new one. Flann knew where it was coming from and the two were such good friends it was allowed. Will that vent for Bochy be replaced so easily?

The average fan will never realize this, but I think that losing Flann is probably a bigger loss than Sandoval. Sandoval may have been loved in the locker room, but I don't think I have heard him described as a "leader". The rest of the team worked to keep him in line.

Flann was a strong part of the coaching staff and confidant to Bochy.

I think the quick names to be considered for 3B are Kelly, Dunston, LeFebvre and Decker. If Kelly moves over, then I think Clark, Snow and Burrell can be added to the mix of possibilities. A dark horse could be Bonds, but I doubt he wants the daily grind of 162 games with travel, so I don't think they go that route.

Side note...

While looking up a few names, I found that Manwaring is a roving catching coach in the system. I had no idea he was back in the fold. I am surprised he doesn't get more coaching talk, the way Decker does.

Bingo give this Man a cigar! All good points Cal. Nice.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Gotta remember, clubhouse chemistry/leadership is a real thing, we've proved that for 5 years now. We don't win any of our rings without it. Flannery is a big part of it.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Side note...

I'd think Hayes and Mariano would be two top candidates.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Good call on Hayes. He has been around forever. Who is Mariano?

We are only discussing internal options. I suspect the job will actually go to an outsider, though.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kelly to third and Hayes to first.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sometimes (Susac!!, cough, cough)...I'm just that good.

Now, if I can just go back to July and get SabeySabes to trade away the vets....:yahoo:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sometimes (Susac!!, cough, cough)...I'm just that good.

Now, if I can just go back to July and get SabeySabes to trade away the vets....:yahoo:

Still have no idea who "Mariano" is...

Band of Brothers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Flan Man looks rested and ready to play some good music to support come good causes. He has some concerts coming up here in the BAY soon. Check his twitter or whatever to get his dates he will play. Dude looks totally at peace with his decision to hang up the cleats. I wish him the best.

Go Flan !

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Flan Man looks rested and ready to play some good music to support come good causes. He has some concerts coming up here in the BAY soon. Check his twitter or whatever to get his dates he will play. Dude looks totally at peace with his decision to hang up the cleats. I wish him the best.

Go Flan !

He played here in SD last Friday. I actually seriously considered going. I thought it would be a good opportunity to actually have a mini-convo with him and personally think him for being part of the renaissance of the Giants.

Then I saw it was $32 a ticket.

I didn't go.

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched The Odd Couple the other night... the story on MLB about Bochy & Flann's relationship through the years. I think Bochy is gonna have some real growing pains with this one. AB might be making a few more appearances.