• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tigers replace Ordonez with Delmon Young

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are panicking right now it looks like. They are in desperate need of a right handed bat to face our lefties and are bringing Young back from an oblique strain to play. This really could be bad. Young could really hurt himself at the plate, but I have a feeling he will be pretty apprehensive at the plate too thinking about that injury.

TrinDaddy

Trinconceivable!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That's totally irresponsible. If he gets seriously hurt then that not only hurts them in the post season, but also could effect them into next season. Not to mention, the rest of the players would be pretty upset that management had a complete lack of respect for player safety which would create schisms in the club house. Baseball is very much so about player/management cohesiveness and unity and trust in the organization plays a big part of that.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. I really do not see this playing out well for the Tigers, but most importantly hopefully they don't ruin a career with this move.

TrinDaddy

Trinconceivable!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Organizations will rid themselves of terrible teammates and unhappy players regularly in baseball. I was told that Padilla was an awful teammate, hated in the clubhouse with nobody wanting to be around him, and soon after he was gone from the Rangers for being exactly that. I don't know how an organization would deal with a majority of the players being unhappy because management was irresponsible with a well liked player's career.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a feeling that he'll be on the "roster" for the first couple of games.... Then around games 4-5 they're hoping he'll be well enough to play.

If indeed he does start today... that's poor judgement on their part....

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a feeling that he'll be on the "roster" for the first couple of games.... Then around games 4-5 they're hoping he'll be well enough to play.

If indeed he does start today... that's poor judgement on their part....

I agree. They want him around, and will maybe use him late in the series in a pinch hit situation. If nothing else they can run him out to try to get a lefty off the mound, and then call him back once the pitching change is made. Leyland is crafty enough to use him that way. No AB, but he can force Ron to change the pitcher late in a game.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
.....and they just said he's starting in RF batting 3rd today...

REALLY?!?!

wow.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. They want him around, and will maybe use him late in the series in a pinch hit situation. If nothing else they can run him out to try to get a lefty off the mound, and then call him back once the pitching change is made. Leyland is crafty enough to use him that way. No AB, but he can force Ron to change the pitcher late in a game.

Not if Ron waits to make his pitching change until after his name is called. That's exactly how I would play that game.

On another note, they actually have him starting in RF.... That's not gutsy. THat's stupid in my opinion.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not if Ron waits to make his pitching change until after his name is called. That's exactly how I would play that game.

On another note, they actually have him starting in RF.... That's not gutsy. THat's stupid in my opinion.

True, but I meant they could announce him to force Ron to switch pitchers and then announce another lefty batter instead of letting Young hurt himself more.

BUT, now they are going to start him today. I'd give him a steady dose of fastball/offspeed/fastball/offspeed. Keep him swinging off balance. He won't be able to hold up, and he will be cheating to get the bat going.

I hope he doesn't hurt himself anymore, but if he is going out there and Leyland is putting him out there...then I exploit the weakness.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, but I meant they could announce him to force Ron to switch pitchers and then announce another lefty batter instead of letting Young hurt himself more.

BUT, now they are going to start him today. I'd give him a steady dose of fastball/offspeed/fastball/offspeed. Keep him swinging off balance. He won't be able to hold up, and he will be cheating to get the bat going.

I hope he doesn't hurt himself anymore, but if he is going out there and Leyland is putting him out there...then I exploit the weakness.

Can they make the change after he steps in the box though.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Steady dose of inside fastballs.... see if he can get that bat around...

No. Once he has been announced... he can either hit...or be substituted for.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, you can change a batter with a 3-2 count if you want. If nothing else he just has to say he hurt himself warming up and can medical sub.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steady dose of inside fastballs.... see if he can get that bat around...

No. Once he has been announced... he can either hit...or be substituted for.

I'm lost by that last bit. You say he can't be changed for, but then say he can be. Im 99% sure that you can change batters any time you want, but maybe we have a terminology issue here. When I say change, I mean sub/burn/etc. Young would be done and unable to come back in, but if his purpose was to get someone like Dutch of the mound in the 7th inning, then his purpose could be served without ever swinging the bat. He would need to be announced, then another batter announced for him after the pitching change, but he can still be changed out. After announced though, changing him out would mean Delmon is done for the day.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they're hoping he's got 1 homer in him. if he does that they will replace him.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm lost by that last bit. You say he can't be changed for, but then say he can be. Im 99% sure that you can change batters any time you want, but maybe we have a terminology issue here. When I say change, I mean sub/burn/etc. Young would be done and unable to come back in, but if his purpose was to get someone like Dutch of the mound in the 7th inning, then his purpose could be served without ever swinging the bat. He would need to be announced, then another batter announced for him after the pitching change, but he can still be changed out. After announced though, changing him out would mean Delmon is done for the day.

Which is what I was saying as well.... I was reading his post as "once Delmon had been announced (to get say Holland off the mound)... can he go sit back on the bench and be called on again later".

To which, the answer is no. Once he's been announced, he's part of the game.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Young did not look comfortable out there in left. on Hamilton's double he looked like he was going to pass it to Jackson instead of trying to throw it