• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tie's In Sports

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49ers and Rams players fail the test when asked about overtime rules | Shutdown Corner - Yahoo! Sports

I was thinking last night how it is dumb to even have a tie in sports. Maybe in a sport like soccer/football I can see it because scoring doesn't happen as often, but you can just do penalty kicks. Like hockey now has the shootout in case of a tie. But in a sport like football?? This is a sport that is played right during/ in the wake of natural disasters (Katrina, Sandy, 911) rain or shine no matter how much snow fog or whatever else nature can throw at it..... yet they allow for a tie!?!?!?!!? It's like... I know I just watched a football game, but nothing is different. It's like a rip in the space time continuum. There is still a 6 in the win column, and a 2 in the loss and this "-1"..... what kind of sorcery is this?

After reading the article, for one, I can't believe so many players still don't know the rules. My apologies to McNabb. But Goldson makes the point, "It's a competitive sport, man -- you've got winners and losers." There is no such thing as a tie to me. In fights they shouldn't have draws. They should go out there for one more round. Maybe it works in a sport where there are so many games being played, but not football. I don't care if it takes an extra 3 quarters of football, they should play until somebody wins. Yesterday, nobody wanted to win so it might have been a game played until Andy Lee decided to take over and go under center.... in case anybody is wondering, Yes... I love Andy Lee. They should write a movie about him called "Inside the Five." It would win 3 Oscars, eventually spawning a ****o spoof called "Inside with 12" which would then go on to win whatever award gets dished out for ****.

I don't know why I am so hung up on the tie subject. It just makes me feel dirty. My rant is over.

BloodType49

FT Bragg NC, aka the center of the universe.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,210.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I totally agree, feels like the game was pointless and might as well have been a loss as Seattle is quickly gaining ground and arguably has been playing better football recently. Add to that a much easier second half schedule then we have and suddenly I don't feel like we are favored to win the west anymore.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
IMO we should've lost, so hell yeah i'll take the tie.

who knows at the end of the season, this tie might be a huge difference?

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO we should've lost, so hell yeah i'll take the tie.

who knows at the end of the season, this tie might be a huge difference?

Yeah, the tie might come back to help us out, but I am speaking in general. They should do away with the tie and have the game go on until someone wins it. I think what makes it even more frustrating is that the Rams should have won and they kept bailing us out. So we had so many chances to win it and should have escaped with the W. Just sucks couldn't make that happen.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yeah, the tie might come back to help us out, but I am speaking in general. They should do away with the tie and have the game go on until someone wins it. I think what makes it even more frustrating is that the Rams should have won and they kept bailing us out. So we had so many chances to win it and should have escaped with the W. Just sucks couldn't make that happen.

I think the majority of players would support adding a 2nd overtime, but I'd be surprised if the competition committee changed their tune and went for it because of the added emphasis on player safety. That's been the main reason I've read for keeping it the way it is. And for how rare it is that the OT period ends in a tie, I'd be surprised if enough people felt compelled enough to go down that road and push for change.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the majority of players would support adding a 2nd overtime, but I'd be surprised if the competition committee changed their tune and went for it because of the added emphasis on player safety. That's been the main reason I've read for keeping it the way it is. And for how rare it is that the OT period ends in a tie, I'd be surprised if enough people felt compelled enough to go down that road and push for change.

That's true. They should create a shootout in football. Kick field goals with nobody but the holding tee. Start with a 45 yarder and go back 5 yards until one guy makes it and the other guy misses.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But an 18-game schedule is still a talking point? Ridiculous.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder how tiebreakers work with ties. This would be unlikely, but let's say that a team finished with 2 ties or 3 ties. Would a record of 10-4-2 be better than a record of 11-5? You have less wins, but you also have less losses. Would a record of 10-3-3 be better than 11-5?

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can we just adopt the college overtime rules? It's the best and most exciting of any OT rules in sports to me. I'd just move the starting point back to say the 50yd line for the pro's instead of the 25. Then at least you have to score 1 first down to have a real shot at a FG.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can we just adopt the college overtime rules? It's the best and most exciting of any OT rules in sports to me. I'd just move the starting point back to say the 50yd line for the pro's instead of the 25. Then at least you have to score 1 first down to have a real shot at a FG.

I would like that as long as they didn't count overtime statistics toward the overall numbers. Guys can rack up some serious numbers in that overtime format.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

So that's what I said a few hours ago. Here is what Mort said today on NFL Live:

On the idea that ties "go away" in the future: "It'll come up (with the competition committee). It's come up before with the competition committee. I talked with one member of the competition committee earlier today. He did not think (the issue) was going to get there (to the competition committee) anytime soon. He said because of the health and safety factor that the NFLPA has brought up, even though it's a rare event that you go into a 2nd overtime. There doesn't seem to be a lot of enthusiasm to change it."

How's that word-for-word comparison?

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So that's what I said a few hours ago. Here is what Mort said today on NFL Live:

On the idea that ties "go away" in the future: "It'll come up (with the competition committee). It's come up before with the competition committee. I talked with one member of the competition committee earlier today. He did not think (the issue) was going to get there (to the competition committee) anytime soon. He said because of the health and safety factor that the NFLPA has brought up, even though it's a rare event that you go into a 2nd overtime. There doesn't seem to be a lot of enthusiasm to change it."

How's that word-for-word comparison?

ChrisPozz.... Chris Mortensen..... anybody else seeing the connection here?

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
ChrisPozz.... Chris Mortensen..... anybody else seeing the connection here?

Nah. Nothing like that. That's just been the word on this issue for a while now. I just reiterated some of what I've been reading for a while. I just thought it was a little funny how similar the two short statements were.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
if we had another OT period, we'd likely have lost. the Rams were all fired up (all three phases) and were playing with passion. the 49ers were "hanging on", expecting something good will happen?

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
David Akers makes a FG and we don't even have to make this topic =\

Say what you want about being lucky the Rams had those penalties. The fact is they screwed themselves over with those errors and we did not take advantage. There was no penalty that was calling back the Akers FG and for that reason I think the Rams should feel lucky it was a tie, and we should all feel disappointed we did not win.

Not only that we had a 4 point lead late in the game and our D could not seal the deal. Honestly, the Rams are lucky it was tie not us. If our D holds it's game over. If Akers makes a FG it's game over. The only chance the Rams had to win the game came on a 58yd FG. They wiped out any and all other potential plays on their own while we just flat out did not execute on the exact plays Super Bowl ready teams have to be capable of.