• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Three weeks in, elite defense

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don’t get bostic
Yeah ... I wouldn't mind seeing Davis, Hudson or Mayo ... at least give it a try. Holcomb hasn't been good either. LBer and safety play has just not been good ... it is either bad, out of position or both.

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sheehan had Baldinger on the show this morning and Baldinger said the Skins are playing a lot of five man front, something they didn't do a lot of last year. He said it's just not working.

Sounds like they are trying to get Ioannidis on the field. Some reports surfaced he was unhappy with his role before he got hurt.

Still doesn't explain Young and Sweat not winning their matchups.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sheehan had Baldinger on the show this morning and Baldinger said the Skins are playing a lot of five man front, something they didn't do a lot of last year. He said it's just not working.

Sounds like they are trying to get Ioannidis on the field. Some reports surfaced he was unhappy with his role before he got hurt.

Still doesn't explain Young and Sweat not winning their matchups.
It seems to me that they aren't really engaging the man in front of them. They are employing wide loops and avoidance tactics in attempts to get around the opposing player. Saw this many times re-watching the already played games. It came as a bit of a surprise to note that in the last two games both Sweat and Young were being handled one-on-one by the opposition and because of this help was available to secure the pocket.

The good news is coming when both Young and Sweat begin attacking the man in front of them and giving themselves a real opportunity to get to and put pressure on opposing QB's. (Return of Ironman will also help)

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I noticed that Sweat and Young are simply getting pushed past the QB. I can't believe three weeks in and the biggest area of concern is the d-line.

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I noticed that Sweat and Young are simply getting pushed past the QB. I can't believe three weeks in and the biggest area of concern is the d-line.
Me either and having said that, we got REAL problems because we were ALL counting on the dline.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Me either and having said that, we got REAL problems because we were ALL counting on the dline.
Welllllll... perhaps not all of us were counting on the defensive line. Almost without exception defenses take a step back following a good to great season. This is true especially early in the following season and the really good ones do perform better as more games are played that next year. We absolutely cannot discount the value of top of the line QB's, and if Washington had one, I believe that their record would be 2-1 instead of what it is, having beaten the Chargers, Giants and a close loss to the Bills.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, this is what I was referring to when I wrote about taking wide loops. Perhaps you noticed when Sweat was lost in a cluster of blockers and Young was well behind the QB (J. Allen) that cluster included the rest of our interior D'line-men giving Allen an alley (bigger than a normal pocket) in which he could have decided to run, electing instead to flip the ball to the running back for an easy score. It was this play...

• Buffalo Bills

Q2 12:59
    Touchdown
    J.Allen pass short right complete to WAS 5. Catch made by Z.Moss at WAS 5. Gain of 7 yards. Z.Moss for 7 yards, TOUCHDOWN. T.Bass extra point is good.
    8 plays, 52 yds, 4:12
    0 - 14

On this play (couldn't find the singular video, sorry) the LOS was the 8 yard line, when Allen released it at the 13 yard line, Chase Young was at the 17 yard line and out of the play, Sweat and the others were lost in a cluster of humanity. The closest defensive player to QB J. Allen was #94 Daron Payne (4 yards away and behind him)

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, this is what I was referring to when I wrote about taking wide loops. Perhaps you noticed when Sweat was lost in a cluster of blockers and Young was well behind the QB (J. Allen) that cluster included the rest of our interior D'line-men giving Allen an alley (bigger than a normal pocket) in which he could have decided to run, electing instead to flip the ball to the running back for an easy score. It was this play...

• Buffalo Bills

Touchdown
    J.Allen pass short right complete to WAS 5. Catch made by Z.Moss at WAS 5. Gain of 7 yards. Z.Moss for 7 yards, TOUCHDOWN. T.Bass extra point is good.
    0 - 14

On this play (couldn't find the singular video, sorry) the LOS was the 8 yard line, when Allen released it at the 13 yard line, Chase Young was at the 17 yard line and out of the play, Sweat and the others were lost in a cluster of humanity. The closest defensive player to QB J. Allen was #94 Daron Payne (4 yards away and behind him)

Spears said Sweat and Young are playing selfish football and are too sack hungry. Stated instead of taking those wide rush loops as you mentioned, they should have stayed in their lane, collapsed the pocket around Allen so the DT's could get the sack/male a play.

From all accounts Payne and Allen have been good so far. It's really Sweat and Chase.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
country has been saying for awhile now and he is correct. There is very little technique in there game right now. They are trying to speed rush around the corner but OTs are just riding them around and past the QB.

Both guys have excellent speed and quickness but they need to mix up there moves ... inside, outside, bullrush. If OTs are looking for the outside move start to make it then bust an inside move.

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welllllll... perhaps not all of us were counting on the defensive line. Almost without exception defenses take a step back following a good to great season. This is true especially early in the following season and the really good ones do perform better as more games are played that next year. We absolutely cannot discount the value of top of the line QB's, and if Washington had one, I believe that their record would be 2-1 instead of what it is, having beaten the Chargers, Giants and a close loss to the Bills.
Sty you could very well be right however, did we lose to the Chargers and Bills because of our QB play? We have MORE problems with this team than we can shake a stick at my friend, QB play is just one of many and not at the top of that list. Through 3 games based upon "talk" leading up to said 3 games this team is a train wreck.

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

• Buffalo Bills

Touchdown
    0 - 14

"Free Lancing" which is one of many problems I am eluding to

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sty you could very well be right however, did we lose to the Chargers and Bills because of our QB play? We have MORE problems with this team than we can shake a stick at my friend, QB play is just one of many and not at the top of that list. Through 3 games based upon "talk" leading up to said 3 games this team is a train wreck.
If you look at both of those games from a pure scoring perspective, the answer is ...yes!

This team lost to the Chargers by 4 points, so clearly better QB'ing would have made a difference in that one. (It worked for the Chargers correct?)

The Bill's game is a different story because IMHO, our offense couldn't keep up. Again we're ONLY talking about scoring and not defense!

In any case, a more productive offense would have meant less time for this smelly defense to be on the field. In effect, getting a win against the Chargers and being in a shootout with the Bill's. Still might have lost to the Bill's, but I'd rather lose in a shootout than an embarrassing blowout any day of the week.
He'll, I've got friends and a few extended family who haven't hesitated to Nelson Munce (ha-ha) my ass after this team takes the field.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Free Lancing" which is one of many problems I am eluding to
I agree that the team has many problems, but for me the number one problem is at QB. I really like Taylor Heinicke, dude is a gamer and gives all that he has it seems every time out but he's limited and worse being limited for reasons already outlined by RR. If I'm GM, Heinicke has the backup job for as long as he able to play the way that he has thus far. I still would need my franchise guy and that would be my highest priority.

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that the team has many problems, but for me the number one problem is at QB. I really like Taylor Heinicke, dude is a gamer and gives all that he has it seems every time out but he's limited and worse being limited for reasons already outlined by RR. If I'm GM, Heinicke has the backup job for as long as he able to play the way that he has thus far. I still would need my franchise guy and that would be my highest priority.
I will not disagree with ^ and likely that all agree with you regarding finding our leader at QB, it is priority #1 right NOW however, in season nothing will happen. Signing Watson is also unlikely to happen with our team at any juncture. This team +/- a few parts is "win now ready" and bringing in a rookie QB next season won't help (future - yes) but other than AR12, I do not see an available 2022 FA QB that can lead us there.

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adding to the above, I believe RR has backed himself into a corner preaching about building a team then finding his QB which has now back fired. Should have been more aggressive this off season finding that QB rather than bringing in mediocre replacements at the position. By the time he finds a capable franchise QB, it may be too late as the championship window begins to close after this season since a few guys likely leave via FA.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adding to the above, I believe RR has backed himself into a corner preaching about building a team then finding his QB which has now back fired. Should have been more aggressive this off season finding that QB rather than bringing in mediocre replacements at the position. By the time he finds a capable franchise QB, it may be too late as the championship window begins to close after this season since a few guys likely leave via FA.
I could be wrong a bout this, :D but wasn't there a poster saying this exact thing during the offseason and training camp? :doh::scratch::noidea:

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not from a reliable source, but there is a lot of Tua to Washington circling the web right now.

Supposedly Miami is thinking about meeting Houston's asking price for Watson. Three 1st, 2nd, and two 3rds.

Miami then flips Tua to the Skins for a 2nd. I AM NOT REPORTING THIS. Just passing along a little scuttlebutt.

countryroads316

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not from a reliable source, but there is a lot of Tua to Washington circling the web right now.

Supposedly Miami is thinking about meeting Houston's asking price for Watson. Three 1st, 2nd, and two 3rds.

Miami then flips Tua to the Skins for a 2nd. I AM NOT REPORTING THIS. Just passing along a little scuttlebutt.