• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Thoughts on the Lions offensive and defensive lines

LionsWhyMe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,325.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The OL is the one spot on the Lions that I think will struggle quite a bit in 2013. I think they may be better run blocking than the group last year with the addition of Reiff and Warford, but as a pass first offense -- I'm not quite sure how 4 new starters could equate to a better OL, when they have very minimal experience and continuity will take time.
There were a lot of peeps that gave kudos to the old offensive line in pass protection last season; I still stand on Stafford being forced into getting the ball out quickly. Which I don't believe Stafford will get anymore bumps and bruises with a newer Oline than he did with the old Oline. And honestly, I think we'll see Dominic Raiola and Rob Sims back as starters.
Creating the holes for the running game is the easy part, clearing out the pocket stuffers or blocking down field has been a hindrance because of the Oline being full of duds. The limitations of a raw and somewhat inexperienced Oline will come from the coaching staff, not the players.

Coach_Ed_LPW

Coach of the Year
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There were a lot of peeps that gave kudos to the old offensive line in pass protection last season; I still stand on Stafford being forced into getting the ball out quickly

Thats very true.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

Quackerjacked

Falcon
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Warford will count as improved athleticism. If he want him to pull Raiola will have to get out and push.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Warford is pretty much a people mover. That's okay. I've been wanting one of those on the Lions OL interior for some time now.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not like Warford is just a lump, either. He's supposed to be nimble and light on his feet for his size... Is he going to be pulling on screens very often? I doubt it, but Leshoure or Bell running behind him on 3rd and 1 sounds good to me.

Shit, if Nagy beats out Raiola, suddenly we're as big as a real NFL team in the interior...

Quackerjacked

Falcon
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying that I don't think Warford is a player. I am extremely excited about what he brings to the table, but athleticism is definitely not one of those things. I think that we are getting more athletic at the tackle spots, just younger and better at that right guard position.

Vader

Not Quite Evil Enough
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thought of yet another season watching Raiola get manhandled by every DT he faces on a weekly basis just made me throw up a little. The best weapon this team could give Stafford is a solid running game, just the threat of that would vastly improve the offense. But there is no chance of that with Raiola anchoring the middle. How's that for a horrible play on words?

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the first things I remember Schwartz saying, was that he wanted the Lions to get bigger on both lines.

Up to this point, that hasn't happened. The Lions got a lot better at DT, but I don't know about being so much bigger (not that it matters).

Now at DE with Ansah and Taylor, the Lions are a lot bigger. And longer. Taylor with 36" arms. He could be laying on his back on the ground, and if I were standing beside him, he could reach up and give me a wedgie. But I digress.

With Warford and possibly Fox on the right side of the OL, the Lions get much bigger.
I'm kind of excited about the possibilities of running to the right side with Pettigrew lined up outside of Fox.

WARNING: poster also gets excited about the possibility of waking up sometime past 3 AM without a full bladder.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm excited about the possibility of Taylor giving you a wedgie while you have a full bladder at 3am. Especially if reports on his hair are correct.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Warford, Fox and Reiff!

I like the fact they are more athletic but I hate the fact the Lions need to replace three positions on the O-Line. I think teams that contend have a certain level of continuity.

As for the defensive line I think Schwartz and Mayhew know they have a problem at DE. The rotating UDFA door is spinning so fast it's hard to keep track of who is coming and who is going! Ansah, Jones and I believe Jones is a rotational guy, Young and let the gong show begin!

I am thinking Detroit will be looking for 3 Camp cuts of veterans this season. A OT, a DE, and a OLB. Not bad and I think if they get the right guys for short term fixes the Lions can contend.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watchoo talkin' about Willis? You forgot Taylor. Didn't he start three years in the SEC? Pretty good opposition there. I think he'll be starting opposite Ansah. I know. It's a bold prediction in the face of the fact that Schwartz seems to favor experience over potential.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watchoo talkin' about Willis? You forgot Taylor. Didn't he start three years in the SEC? Pretty good opposition there. I think he'll be starting opposite Ansah. I know. It's a bold prediction in the face of the fact that Schwartz seems to favor experience over potential.

Not sure how many seasons he started but pretty sure he was beat out by Clowney.

Second string on a college football team might say something about him, or it might say a whole lot about Clowney.....Don't know yet, have to watch him play yet.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Taylor started on the other side of Clowney, so he still started.

Also Clowney would have been the #1 pick overall after his freshman year, so I would not hold that against his back up, whoever that had been.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Taylor said that he and Clowney never faced one-on-one his senior year. Not that they were double-teamed every play, but that a back, a TE, someone was helping with at least a brush-block. He may be farther along than you think.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His biggest weakness seems to be that he has little technique. He won't be able to get by on pure athleticism, but with an 87" wingspan and 35" vertical, he will be able to disrupt the passing lanes. Had a couple of pick-sixes. Can drop to cover in the flat. Sack numbers were low. Intelligent. Got a degree in Integrated Information Systems. Plays to the whistle. Can hold his ground in the run game. A lot to like.

Oh. And a three year starter.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure how many seasons he started but pretty sure he was beat out by Clowney.

Second string on a college football team might say something about him, or it might say a whole lot about Clowney.....Don't know yet, have to watch him play yet.

???

You know there's two starting DEs on a defense in college, right? It's just like in HS or the NFL, a 4-3 defense always uses two DEs.

Taylor started at DE opposite Clowney.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for the defensive line I think Schwartz and Mayhew know they have a problem at DE. The rotating UDFA door is spinning so fast it's hard to keep track of who is coming and who is going! Ansah, Jones and I believe Jones is a rotational guy, Young and let the gong show begin!

I am thinking Detroit will be looking for 3 Camp cuts of veterans this season. A OT, a DE, and a OLB. Not bad and I think if they get the right guys for short term fixes the Lions can contend.

Wow, I think you guys read waaaaaay too much into these UDFA signings. Teams are allowed to have 90 players on the offseason rosters now. This is a new development. There's going to be a lot more guys coming and going than there used to be.

We have 90 guys now, only 53 can make the final roster. Getting all worked up over every UDFA we bring in won't do you any good- these guys aren't being brought in because the coaches aren't happy with the guys we already have, they're being brought in because we have to have enough bodies to run all of the drills, etc... that are part of camp.

Ansah and Jones are set to be the starters. Willie Young should be their top back-up all year. We just drafted Devin Taylor in the 4th this year, and Ronnell Lewis in the 4th last year, neither guy is going anywhere. So there's 5 DEs that are highly unlikely to be cut, so adding a veteran DE seems very, very unlikely....

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
South Carolina changed it up Tpaul, they had 1 DE, and 1 guy who lined up accross from the OT who rushed the passer.

They are changing the way we see football!

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still wish we would've drafted Clowney, even though he wasn't in the draft. Somebody's gonna take advantage of that next year, on MAY EIGTH!!!