• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Thoughts on Lance Briggs

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yesterday The Score had a interesting clip from Lance speaking to reporters.
This is what he said:

“I don’t know what to do with myself sometimes,” he said. “Sometimes I sit in the meetings while coaches are talking and sometimes the words just phase out and I’m just staring at the screen. The only thing I can tell is the time. I can see the time and it’s like, ‘Damn, I still got 55 minutes left.'”

Note: Context- he was talking about a time when he was injured and knew he wasn't playing. So take that as you will. (don't know if he would do that on a week he knew was playing)

Couple ways to look at this
Does this indict the Coaching staff? Meaning that they have lost the vets and they just don't care anymore? Don't see a reason to be invested in meetings anymore. Coaches don't force any accountability?

Or

Briggs himself- has simply checked out... doesn't care- got his money. Shows he's not a leader?

Which way are you leaning? For one thing it's refreshing he's being honest/and not the same old cliched team speak... but probably not something any fan wants to hear.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He knows his days are numbered as a Bear. He could be checked out already.

Let's hope a game against Green Bay can get him fired up.

Wounded Bear

Pilgrim on a Moutain Top
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't say I blame the guy. He was undoubtedly one of the best WLB in Bears history who put his body on the line every game. Now, when he's struggling physically and mentally and surrounded by strangers.....it probably doesn't even seem like the Bears to him anymore. Not only are his studly teammates gone, but the Defensive Coordinator is an incompetent oaf as well.

Why not collect the few millions from this season and then proceed to your football afterlife of managing your businesses, etc.?

I for one do not really want to bash Lance Briggs because I see myself doing the same if I were in his position. Perhaps I could have been angry with him if Mel Tucker and the rest of the D were performing even at an average level, but they aren't. They just suck. Got to be a tough way to end a very good career.

More than anything, I feel sorry for him.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Means little, he was not gonna play. He has checked out.

Dirk

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a couple thoughts on this.

1. Lance Briggs has always been a idiot. Just really good at football. Now that his body is failing him, all thats left is the idiot.

2. If he was hurt when this happened(the multiple"sometimes" has me doubt it though) you can't really blame him or the coaches. Ghost in the Machine type thing. There but not there, next man up blah blah. No time to spend on you when your unable to advance the cause of winning football games(OR, dragging a defensive franchise through the historic mud,YVMV...).

Wounded Bear

Pilgrim on a Moutain Top
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Lance Briggs has always been a idiot. Just really good at football. Now that his body is failing him, all thats left is the idiot.

I call this the "Brian Urlacher Syndrome."

C

cubzzzfanincali

Lance Briggs showed his stripes at the beginning of he season, blowing off the team days before the season started to go travel to LA to open the night club he is a partner in. Some on here said it didn't matter, I disagreed. I'd chalk this up as part of a pattern.

He was a great Bear. He is still a Bear.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Briggs wore out his welcome a while ago for me. Always seemed like a "me first" kind of guy, who apparently has a non-existent work ethic in the weight room and in the off-season.

The guy can go screw.

I don't give a fuck if the Bears are "strangers" to you now. You signed a contract, are paid millions and have a responsibility to your team. You FIND a damn reason to pay attention and help your teammates. Selfish asshole.

This is a great reflection of everything wrong with this football team. A bunch of individuals with no one looking to take the reigns.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't say I blame the guy. He was undoubtedly one of the best WLB in Bears history who put his body on the line every game. Now, when he's struggling physically and mentally and surrounded by strangers.....it probably doesn't even seem like the Bears to him anymore. Not only are his studly teammates gone, but the Defensive Coordinator is an incompetent oaf as well.

Why not collect the few millions from this season and then proceed to your football afterlife of managing your businesses, etc.?

I for one do not really want to bash Lance Briggs because I see myself doing the same if I were in his position. Perhaps I could have been angry with him if Mel Tucker and the rest of the D were performing even at an average level, but they aren't. They just suck. Got to be a tough way to end a very good career.

More than anything, I feel sorry for him.

I'm sure if you showed up at your job that you were paid millions for, and sat in the corner staring at the clock all day. That'd be perfectly acceptable.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Briggs has shown that his great play was even more dictated by Urlacher. His chance to get out of Urlachers shadow and he has not produced.

As far as the comments, yeah, its pretty clear this coaching staff does not speak the language most of these guys understand. Does not matter how great you think you are, if you cannot get your point across you are mediocre. Bears are mediocre.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like no one has ever done this in the history of meetings... Means pretty much nothing.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Briggs has shown that his great play was even more dictated by Urlacher. His chance to get out of Urlachers shadow and he has not produced.

What? In 2009, Urlacher was injured for the entire year, and Briggs was a first-team All Pro. Last year, after Urlacher retired, Briggs was on pace for a 130 tackle, 6 sacks, 11 pass defended season before he got injured halfway through. Had he stayed healthy, he would have been a Pro Bowler and likely the best 4-3 OLB in football.

I'm not sure how anyone can doubt Briggs' career. Yes, he is only average now as he he approaches his 34th birthday in his 12th NFL season after a couple years of injuries. He still has had a great career and was one of the best players in the NFL at is peak.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like no one has ever done this in the history of meetings... Means pretty much nothing.

Yes, but to say this to the media, like it's the norm at Hallas Hall shows how completely out of touch this team is. Especially the veterans who are supposed to be leaders.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

On its own this wouldn't bother me. But when you add:

1. Him being completely out of shape after coming back from injury last year
2. The constant contract renegotiations
3. Running away from his Lambourghini accident
4. Him skipping town to open a BBQ joint before the first game of the season
5. Reports of him partying until 4am the Friday/Saturday before a game day
6. Him looking like he's going through the motions out there the past two years

...when you just pile on the meeting thing to that heap, it's hard to see him as the captain he's supposed to be. I'm not going to put this on him too... but when I see the pains Marshall goes through to help younger players and then by contrast Briggs throws Bostic under the bus in an interview just before opening day last year discounting his pre-season and declaring DJW should be the starter... I just don't really see this guy as a leader. I had a hunch that as soon as his guy Lovie was no longer his coach, he would be a cancer. I'm not sure if that's how this is actually playing out, but I would be fine with seeing the Bears without him.

Wounded Bear

Pilgrim on a Moutain Top
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure if you showed up at your job that you were paid millions for, and sat in the corner staring at the clock all day. That'd be perfectly acceptable.

I'm not saying it's acceptable or good. I'm just saying I understand it.

nomoreshoop

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this is understandable, I get blank stares watching this team most of the time, lol.

55briggs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Briggs has been solid, everyone freaking out because he is telling the truth, he will give
us his A game tonight, I am more concerned about Bostic bringing it tonight, its time for him
to put up and show us he wants to be a starter on this team.