• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

This Team has zero clue how to draft OT

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you know what sucks ? losing Breno Giacomini and Paul McQuistan should be something that wouldn't hurt us. The fact is it really hurts us. As bad as these two are they were the best options on this team and from what we have remember other than the 2 drafted and the UDFA they had all ready beat out the players on this team to be starters. This says it all about our talent at the position. I will not give up hope that we have some massive growing from players and some total gem steals from the draft. Then maybe we can be a little better than last year. If everyone stays around the same level or improves only a little then this teams Oline will not improve at all.

I'm not sure I agree with that assessment. Last year they had lower than average line play until injuries decimated most of it. Then we had simply terrible play with two first year (one UDFA) players trying to fill in on the fly. Then we had a mix of not so great, ok, and at the end not that bad as more of the injured came back and got up to speed.

We do not know what that line would have been like had the injuries not happened. Given how they ended the season they very well could have had a much improved year.

The question now is did the time those backups got as starters help them prepare this off season for larger roles and will that time accelerate their progression. I think the jury will be out on that until at least the first game.

If they can keep from having the patch work line they had last year I'm not sure how their line could do anything but improve. Simply having continuity alone would make it somewhat better. The chances that they improve more than marginally is there. I'm just not willing to give up on it yet.

Vita, no. There was no change in what they do based on anything your team has done. That's not how it works. You don't just pick up bodies and this group doesn't try to fill holes. They look at every player and ask if they have what it takes to make this team better. There is no focus on what other teams are doing. The focus is just on if each potential prospect has a chance of helping them be better. It's really that simple. On a bigger scale it might be said that if they struggled against a specific type of offense then the lens they are using would ask the question against that, but not particular players on any team.

And to be honest no one is discounting the Rams, but the focus is probably more on the 49'ers as it is.

The hawks just want to put the best 11 out they can. Guys that buy into their philosophy and play the game their way. That's really what most (at least good) NFL teams do.

Trying to focus on this player vs that is what we fans do. The teams focus on themselves, not the other teams.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously the track record for their o-line picks hasn't been great, but I wouldn't say that they have zero clue how to draft offensive linemen. Yes, they've had some busts, but they've also had some pretty terrible injury luck. It seems like we've had at least one significant injury on the offensive line every year since '06 and too many times we've had more than one, last year included. You're just not going to have a cohesive unit if you're constantly having to shuffle your lineup around due to injury and having to play guys that you drafted to be backups. Injuries happen and unless you're consistently picking injury prone players knowing there's a good chance they'll get hurt again at some point, there's really not much the coaches can do besides hope that the injuries they do get aren't significant ones and that the backups can hold down the fort in the meantime.

Three different coaching staffs and two different front office staffs have had to deal with the same problem since that first Super Bowl and I can't believe that they all just happen to be horrible offensive line talent evaluators. There's gotta be more to it than that.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Improved? no they did not actually, it might have seemed like it to you but why i do not know. Games 1-8 they gave up 27 sacks ( 3.25 per game ). We lost Okung and Breno in like weeks 7 and 8. Weeks 9-12 the team gave up and get this 3 total sacks. Then they regressed. Weeks 13-16 ( 4 games ) they gave up 14 sacks (3.5 per game) Now you can look at the teams they played and start playing that card but lets not do the apples to oranges here. This Oline has not improved even though all year long we heard " we are working on it" and " they are improving" or " once we get some starters back" because it has made no difference.

I myself never liked the zone scheme. You are forcing this very YOUNG line to think much more than just react. i believe also that some if not most of our oline seem like they would be better in a man scheme. Let them React more and have to think less when they are so young. They will learn but with the youth on our line we might just need to help them grow and i feel all the different calls and looks that a defensive team can give the oline is retarding the growth of these lineman.

i just want people to see the real truth.
The more you know.....

Dude.... Yes the offensive line play improved... It's not always based on just sacks ... In that case Denver's O-line in the Super Bowl was awesome! Didn't give up 1 sack! Seahawks O-line improved towards the end of the season and in the playoffs... They were never great but they showed signs of better play down the stretch and especially in the playoffs...

Last edited by a moderator:

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude.... Yes the offensive line play improved... It's not always based on just sacks ... In that case Denver's O-line in the Super Bowl was awesome! Didn't give up 1 sack! Seahawks O-line improved towards the end of the season and in the playoffs... They were never great but they showed signs of better play down the stretch and especially in the playoffs...

Brilliant... I forget we didnt get a sack, but we were up in pey peys kitchen all day tho

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm on a let's wait and see on Britt if he is a reach or a solid draft pick. Once mini-camps and training camps kick into high gear, we'll have a better judgement on him. I'd prefer to have stayed at 32 and draft the o-lineman from UCLA but hey, PC/JS know more then me.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember, all it takes is one other team to be willing to reach for a guy and suddenly that "reach" pick was you last shot at him.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember, all it takes is one other team to be willing to reach for a guy and suddenly that "reach" pick was you last shot at him.

Yup...and the only reason people think hes a reach or not is because the talking heads say so, or didnt give him alot of predraft pub....so by saying we reached you are saying the kipers of the world are smarter then the guys who brought you a super bowl, the guys that found all pro and pro bowlers in the 3,4,5,6 and 7 and udfa and from the cfl.......

If you say we reached your taking kiper over pc and js....dumb

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the odds are pretty good that Britt ends up our starting RT for 2014. Lots more to go with camps and preseason, but we'll see.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brilliant... I forget we didnt get a sack, but we were up in pey peys kitchen all day tho

Exactly... a sack is just a glorified tackle for a loss... Getting pressure is key even if it's not a sack... Moving the qb from his spot making him rush passes...