• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

This Offseason Has Sucked

WestEndVol

Rarest Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BuckeyeSports.com - Ohio State Buckeyes Football, Basketball, Recruiting, News, Rumors & Forums Front Page

1.) Ohio State Buckeyes:
Should this really be a surprise? The reigning national championships received all seven first-place votes in Scout.com’s poll. With three quarterbacks on the roster, all of which have a chance to win the Heisman, the Buckeyes will be a tough out for anyone in the country. The biggest question might not be the quarterback job. Can the Buckeyes play with the pressures of being the defending champions? Each and every week, they should get everyone’s best shot.

2.) Michigan State Spartans:
It’s time to start realizing head coach Mark Dantonio doesn’t rebuild - he reloads. The Spartans have won at least 10 games four of the last five seasons. Senior quarterback Connor Cook returns after two years as the starter. The Spartans lose quite a bit: running back Jeremy Langford, wide receiver Tony Lippett, and cornerback Trae Waynes, but have recruited well in the past recruiting cycles. The return of senior defensive end Shilique Calhoun should anchor a strong front four.

3.) Wisconsin Badgers:
Expectations are high for new head coach Paul Chryst, who inherits a team that finished 11-3 last season, but loses first-round running back talent Melvin Gordonand three starters up front. The good news, the defensive line is going to be more than stout. Corey Clement takes over at the running back spot and has a 6.4 yards per carry average in his first two seasons in Madison.

4.) Nebraska:
Ameer Abdullah is gone. Randy Gregory is gone. But, new head coach Mike Rileyisn’t exactly walking into the cupboard is bare type of situation. A lighter schedule should allow for Nebraska to contend for the annual 9-win mark if not more. Quarterback Tommy Armstrong has 21 starts to his name and is now working with resected offensive coordinator/quarterback coach Danny Langsdorf.

5.) Minnesota:
The Gophers lose arguably their two best players off last year’s team, but head coach Jerry Kill is quietly building a winner up North. Will they take another step this year? Quarterback Mitch Leidner will need to play the way he did early in 2014, not the way he ended down the stretch. Senior running back Rodrick Williams has shed 20-pounds in preparation to carry the load.

6.) Penn State:
The Nittany Lions were one team the Scout.com voters had all over the place. Their position in the East Division will greatly be determined on how the offensive line improves this offseason. With five straight home games to start the season, it could give second year head coach James Franklin’s squad major confidence. After a sophomore slump, Christian Hackenberg returns for his third season as Penn State’s starting quarterback.

7.) Michigan:
The Wolverines have talent on the roster to win right away, but implementing a new culture takes time. Don’t expect Michigan to be a top three team this season, but down the road. The defense will be good again, especially with the addition ofJabrill Peppers in the secondary. The Wolverines will likely return to the postseason, but how quickly they can return to the Big Ten elite will likely great depend on the quarterback situation.

8.) Iowa:
Just when everyone starts to doubt him, Hawkeye head coach Kirk Ferentz will pull a double-digit win season out of his hat. After a disappointing 7-6 record last year, Iowa hands the quarterback spot to C.J. Beathard. A big-armed junior completed 57 percent of passes last season, throwing for 645 yards on 92-attempts. With three-fifths of the offensive line needing to be replaced and quite a few starters on defense, it looks like it might be hard for any magic from Ferentz.

9.) Rutgers:
Replacing quarterback Gary Nova will be tough and a quarterback competition between Chris Laviano and Hayden Rettig has emerged. Which way will new offensive coordinator Ben McDaniels want to go? On defense, newcomer Isaiah Johnson looked good in the spring at the MIKE spot, allowing Steve Longa to stay at the outside backer spot.

10.) Maryland:
With quarterback C.J. Brown now graduated and the Terrapins top two-receivers from last year also gone, 2015 could be a long road. Maryland needs to replace over half of the defense and is transitioning to a 4-3 under new coordinator Keith Dudzinski. Road trips to West Virginia in the non-conference and Ohio State/Michigan State don’t make the schedule an easy one.

11.) Illinois:
With Wes Lunt returning as signal-caller and the Fighting Illini’s top returning rusher/receiver back from 2014 – the offense could be good. The problem, Illinois was one of the worst when it came to points against in 2014 (34.0 ppg. 105th). It might not get any better in 2015. If the Fighting Illini are not 3-1 out of the non-conference portion of the schedule, cries for Tim Beckman’s head will likely start to happen from Illinois fans.

12.) Northwestern:
After rushing for over 1,100 yards his freshman year, running back Justin Jackson returns. The question is who will provide offense around him? The quarterback competition is an open one and has three different players heading into the fall with a chance.

13.) Indiana:
Quarterback Nate Sudfeld is back from injury, meaning the Hoosiers could be a few spots higher, but lose running back Tevin Coleman and receiver Shane Wynn. Most of the biggest questions come on defense. Head coach Kevin Wilson is 14-34 in four seasons. Some progress will likely need to be shown in 2015.

14.) Purdue:
Akeem Hunt and Raheem Mostert are gone and the Boilermakers have to figure out the quarterback situation. The good news is the offensive line returns everyone and the receiving corp will be solid – it’s just a matter of who will be throwing them the ball?

WestEndVol

Rarest Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ha Tejas

Btw I'd like to thank you for the updates you put on here, I enjoy reading them all :suds:

Of course it's the offseason so things are slow, so just trying to pass along anything that I can find (or that's slightly interesting).

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UCLA more likely than Michigan State? The only game keeping Maichigan State out of the playoffs is Ohio State, barring some unseen catastrophe. MSU can survive an Oregon loss but nothing else.

I agree 100%. Michigan State will start higher in the polls than UCLA AND will have the much easier road to get it done. There's no way their odds should be worse than UCLA. Plus they have a potential top 10 draft pick in Connor Cook coming back and UCLA still has no clue who's going to start at the most crucial position on the field (by a mile). Will it be Rosen, Woulard, Neiheisel? No one knows. UCLA has to go to Arizona, to Stanford, to Utah, and to USC! They also have to play Arizona State and would most likely have to deal with Oregon in the Pac 12 title game assuming they can even get there. Michigan State has Oregon at home and Ohio State on the road. I'd be hesitant to throw at Nebraska in there too which seems like a stretch to me. Should they get to the Big 10 CCG, they'd most likely have a team like Wisconsin waiting for them (let's face it the West sucks). Michigan State has the much easier road and will actually very likely have the better of the two teams as well. If they can beat their Big 10 foes and beat Ohio State (a big if) and get to that CCG and win it even if they happen to lose to Oregon, they will almost certainly be in the playoffs and from there anything can happen. Look at last year. The controversial #4 seed who barely got in and lost at home handily to a mediocre team from a mediocre (at best) Power 5 conference, dominated in the playoffs and won the whole thing.

On a side note, TCU at 8-1 odds looks attractive to me despite some of the loses they suffered on defense from last season.

WestEndVol

Rarest Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I'm just missing something, but I thought every PSU home game was a whiteout?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I'm just missing something, but I thought every PSU home game was a whiteout?

Any news on Georgia going for a blackout against Alabama this year?

:heh:

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree 100%. Michigan State will start higher in the polls than UCLA AND will have the much easier road to get it done. There's no way their odds should be worse than UCLA. Plus they have a potential top 10 draft pick in Connor Cook coming back and UCLA still has no clue who's going to start at the most crucial position on the field (by a mile). Will it be Rosen, Woulard, Neiheisel? No one knows. UCLA has to go to Arizona, to Stanford, to Utah, and to USC! They also have to play Arizona State and would most likely have to deal with Oregon in the Pac 12 title game assuming they can even get there. Michigan State has Oregon at home and Ohio State on the road. I'd be hesitant to throw at Nebraska in there too which seems like a stretch to me. Should they get to the Big 10 CCG, they'd most likely have a team like Wisconsin waiting for them (let's face it the West sucks). Michigan State has the much easier road and will actually very likely have the better of the two teams as well. If they can beat their Big 10 foes and beat Ohio State (a big if) and get to that CCG and win it even if they happen to lose to Oregon, they will almost certainly be in the playoffs and from there anything can happen. Look at last year. The controversial #4 seed who barely got in and lost at home handily to a mediocre team from a mediocre (at best) Power 5 conference, dominated in the playoffs and won the whole thing.

On a side note, TCU at 8-1 odds looks attractive to me despite some of the loses they suffered on defense from last season.
I believe Ohio State goes 13-0 on their way to the playoffs and Michigan State only loss to the bowl game will be Ohio State. Michigan State for whatever reason, plays Ohio State better away from home than they do in East Lansing but I wouldn't be as big of a surprise as the VTech game if Michigan State won. But the fact that UCLA according to them is more likely to win the title than MSU is ridiculous.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't say way so I looked into it, apparently drug charges. Mary Jane of course. Just legalize the shit already!

Illinois State star running back Marshaun Coprich suspended | INFORUM

placed on indefinite suspension Monday following his recent arrest on drug charges.

WJBC.com reported Coprich was arrested last week on a charge of unlawful delivery of marijuana. The 20-year-old native of Victorville, Calif., allegedly tried to sell between 10 and 30 grams of the drug to an undercover agent with Illinois State Police Task Force Six on April 16.

WestEndVol

Rarest Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

z7yHy.gif

WestEndVol

Rarest Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Level III violations are typical minor and carry no punishment. However, coaches are required to undergo compliance training to ensure similar violations don’t happen again.

Michigan’s most egregious violation was committed by safeties coach Mike Zordich, who spoke about the recruitment of graduate transfer Wayne Lyons with reporters before Lyons had joined the Michigan program. Gwendolyn Bush, Lyons' mother and Michigan's player development coordinator, also spoke about the transfer via Twitter before it became official.

NCAA rules prohibit coaches or school officials from talking about prospective student athletes before they’ve officially signed with the school.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You'd think he would know better.

He's very much beating the hype drums in the media though. Last coach I remember making headlines so often on purpose after coming to a new school was Lane Kiffin, and that didn't end so well.

Calling it now - Harbaugh to be OC coordinator at Ohio St for the 2019 season.

Last edited: