• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

This Offseason Has Sucked

WestEndVol

Rarest Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oregon States Gary Andersen says speed separates Pac-12 from Big Ten | CollegeFootballTalk
Earlier in the day in Chicago new Nebraska head coach Mike Riley was asked about the difference between the Pac-12 and the Big Ten, to which the nicest coach in the world shrugged off the notion of the two conferences being too different. His replacement at Oregon State, former Wisconsin head coach Gary Andersen, has a different take on the subject.

“Well, the speed,” Andersen replied when asked the same question at the Pac-12 media day event Friday. “If you want to talk about something that is different. This is without question, and I’m looking from afar through a TV screen or a big jumbo screen we have in the offices that we watch film from and on the TV.

“[T]his league has what we like to call juice,” Andersen explained. “It is fast. There are a lot of guys that make one mistake and you’re going to pay the price quickly. On the defensive side it is the same way. There are elite pass rushers that are fast and quick. There are linebackers that can run on the back end that I believe can make up for a lot of problems that — it’s hard to solve with a pen in your hand, but genetics take over and make you some special plays.”

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is so wrong. By this logic, all scholarship students at Texas are being "paid to go to school."

Not that I like it or not, but it's not just a Texas thing. Cost of attendance is the future, and the future is now.

Notre Dame will be doing it as well, as will everybody else. From what I understand, it's already creeping into recruiting discussions...

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not that I like it or not, but it's not just a Texas thing. Cost of attendance is the future, and the future is now.

Notre Dame will be doing it as well, as will everybody else. From what I understand, it's already creeping into recruiting discussions...

Yup. It is the here and now. If you think back the whole thing started over a player (UConn?) claiming he was starving because the dining facilities closed too early in the evening.

$4,310/yr = $360/month = $12/day for Burger King

You shouldn't be starving between 8:00pm and 5:00am any more.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup. It is the here and now. If you think back the whole thing started over a player (UConn?) claiming he was starving because the dining facilities closed too early in the evening.

$4,310/yr = $360/month = $12/day for Burger King

You shouldn't be starving between 8:00pm and 5:00am any more.

have any other schools started yet? I just assumed they would all start this at the same time.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Using Texas as an example

500 (student-athletes) X $4310 = $2,155,000/year on the Texas athletic budget.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I guess everyone is starting this.

Going to be somewhat of a financial hit to athletic programs across the country.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I guess everyone is starting this.

Going to be somewhat of a financial hit to athletic programs across the country.

Particularly those already in the red, which is the vast majority.

A/D's will be tightening the belts.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My problem is with calling the "cost of living" amount a "Stipend." They aren't being "paid" so much as they are having their scholarships increased to cover the full cost of attendance. The thing is that the "cost of attendance" figure is calculated the same for all financial aid recipients - regardless of whether they are athletes or not. The item I cited seemed to miss that point, instead refering to the extra money as "pay for play."

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as I'm concerned, if the money is not earmarked (i.e. can be used for whatever the recipient wants) it is pay-for-play.

It's not "cost of living" as someone on a full ride scholarship has all of their basic needs taken care of (tuition/housing/food/books) .

It is a "stipend" that does not require receipts as to where it was spent. No different than a typical employment paycheck.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is a "stipend" that does not require receipts as to where it was spent. No different than a typical employment paycheck.
It's actually extremely different. If it was a paycheck, it wold be the same for all of the people receiving it. But this amount actually varies wildly from student to student, based on things like how far the student's residence is from campus.

One campus officer commented in a story I read that the difference between filling out the "cost of attendance" paperwork and that needed to take out a mortgage, is that the mortgage is considerably simpler. I can't speak for you, but if my paycheck was that complicated, I would not consider it typical.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's actually extremely different. If it was a paycheck, it wold be the same for all of the people receiving it. But this amount actually varies wildly from student to student, based on things like how far the student's residence is from campus.

One campus officer commented in a story I read that the difference between filling out the "cost of attendance" paperwork and that needed to take out a mortgage, is that the mortgage is considerably simpler. I can't speak for you, but if my paycheck was that complicated, I would not consider it typical.

Not sure where you're getting that?

For Nebraska it's $3600. The student athlete spends it where they feel they need to.

Last weekend, the 80 schools in the Power Five conferences approved a proposal allowing universities to provide additional “cost-of-attendance” expenses to scholarship student-athletes to cover personal travel, entertainment and other out-of-pocket expenses.

I don't know the timeframe of the payout...Weekly, Bi-weekly, monthly, or lump sum.

I would hope it would be bi-weekly or monthly, so they don't blow it all immediately.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure where you're getting that?

For Nebraska it's $3600. The student athlete spends it where they feel they need to.
That number, as I understand it, is an average. Some students will receive more and some less.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That number, as I understand it, is an average. Some students will receive more and some less.

Well do you have a link to support it, or everybody's just supposed to take your word for it?

At Nebraska.... Only football, men's and women's basketball, and volleyball get it. But they don't say some people in those sports get more than others.

The $3600 was derived because the student would have to pay taxes on anything more.

"The other two dozen or so sports are given a pot of money from which the athletic department can offer varying partial scholarships."

So it appears to me that anybody in a revenue generating sport/on a full ride scholarship gets $3600 each.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well do you have a link to support it, or everybody's just supposed to take your word for it?
Here is one: How Colleges Figure "Cost of Attendance" - COLLEGEdata - Pay Your Way

And here is why it is a complicated mess to calculate:
As dictated by Congress, the COA is the average cost to attend for one academic year (fall through spring). It includes tuition and fees, books and supplies, room and board, transportation, and personal expenses. Colleges adjust the COA yearly to reflect changes to these costs.

Here is another good source: Wide Variance in COA Calculations with No Good Solution for Power Conferences

And a salient point:
A few notes on my methodology:
I generally used out-of-state numbers for public schools. Travel allowances tended to be larger and the idea is these power conference schools are recruiting beyond state borders.
– I generally used entering freshmen numbers. Again, this is focused on the recruiting angle.
– This is not the full cost-of-attendance gap in many cases. I did not include books and supplies, nor did I include any loan fees or health insurance costs.
– The goal was to approximate how much “pocket money” per year a school might be able to offer a recruit. So only transportation/travel money and personal/miscellaneous expense allowances were included.
– Because school supplies are not included, you can add $250 to $500 to each of these. In many cases you can also add up to $2,000 one-time for purchase of a computer. Case-by-case adjustments are also permitted if the same adjustment is available to all students.
Since some students at public universities are coming from out of state, ther calculations are different from in-state students. Also, not the comment about adjustments being allowed on case-by-case bases.