• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

This is why college playoffs are needed.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just out of curiosity, what would you propose they do? Only schedule the best teams against the best teams in the SEC every year? Pull out one of those crystal balls from one of 5 trophy cases to see which teams will be good this year? What happens when the "good teams" fall off and the "bad teams" heat up? Obviously this all sounds ridiculous, I meant it that way. Get my point?

go to 9 conference games would help.

But ya, pretty much tough to tell who is what coming into each year. I mean we know who will be close to the top and bottom. BUt it can turn into a guessing game.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whats the point of being in a big strong conference where you do not play the best teams in your conference like Bama the last two years? How can you claim better conference if a team does not play them? You can have the best 8 teams in the country but what does that matter if you only play 2?

If you only play 2, you only get credit for playing 2.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just out of curiosity, what would you propose they do? Only schedule the best teams against the best teams in the SEC every year? Pull out one of those crystal balls from one of 5 trophy cases to see which teams will be good this year? What happens when the "good teams" fall off and the "bad teams" heat up? Obviously this all sounds ridiculous, I meant it that way. Get my point?
I said the same problem with the B1G so don't get your panties in a bunch. Get rid of the every year cross divisional games. Go to 9 games if you want to keep one then leave the other 2 open and make sure the top teams play the top teams cross division. It is not rocket surgery, actually rather easy if you want to do that.

metal_frk_334

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I said the same problem with the B1G so don't get your panties in a bunch. Get rid of the every year cross divisional games. Go to 9 games if you want to keep one then leave the other 2 open and make sure the top teams play the top teams cross division. It is not rocket surgery, actually rather easy if you want to do that.

Hey bro, dial your internet rage meter down. It's a bit to sensitive atm. There isn't any animosity here. I was just curious what solution you had come up with to fix it. Now... I see you don't really have a workable solution. Good luck making the league steer away from iron clad schedules. It is kind of what all sports use for a reason.

Mamba had a rational response, btw. So you have an example to guide you now.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey bro, dial your internet rage meter down. It's a bit to sensitive atm. There isn't any animosity here. I was just curious what solution you had come up with to fix it. Now... I see you don't really have a workable solution. Good luck making the league steer away from iron clad schedules. It is kind of what all sports use for a reason.

Mamba had a rational response, btw. So you have an example to guide you now.
The NFL does not make the schedule until after the season and when they do they like to put games together of rivals or from the previous SB. See there is a way if the NFL can do that. No rage here, you were getting all bunched up with your post.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A number 4 can now be a title winner. Not a fan of a playoff. But I have no problem if a split championship is needed as one was in 2005. Most years the top two is clear.

If #4 plays two games in which they beat a #1-3 team to end the year, I think they've proven themselves as at least being better than #4.

metal_frk_334

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The NFL does not make the schedule until after the season and when they do they like to put games together of rivals or from the previous SB. See there is a way if the NFL can do that. No rage here, you were getting all bunched up with your post.

A misunderstanding in tone is expected on a message board. Allow me to explain myself. I'm not against a better schedule. What I'm saying is that there isn't a simple plan like the NFL uses to mold a college football schedule. These teams play 12 games and these games are planned years in advance. Remeber that money drives everything and college athletics have the burden of àccounting for and using every dollar they make. A good amount of foresight is needed in this league.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

By adding more conference games you merely go towards "regionalizing" college football even more, and that makes it hard to judge the real strength of teams in the conference. You need conference vs conference games so that people can accurately judge who are the best teams.

More conference games are not the answer, less conference games are needed. And to drop FCS games completely, which they can do simply by not counting them for being bowl eligible.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A misunderstanding in tone is expected on a message board. Allow me to explain myself. I'm not against a better schedule. What I'm saying is that there isn't a simple plan like the NFL uses to mold a college football schedule. These teams play 12 games and these games are planned years in advance. Remeber that money drives everything and college athletics have the burden of àccounting for and using every dollar they make. A good amount of foresight is needed in this league.
The SEC and B1G schedule for the 2013 was made a year prior. It was easy to know that FL, GA and SC were the top teams in the east at that time. It would have been just as easy to ensure the top teams in the west played at least one of those teams in the regular season as there are several cross over games. I think all those conferences that are bigger could do this very easily without too much disruption of anything else.

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BSU being ranked 19th is certainly not the best ever reason for needing a playoff. Far from it. BSU may well end up dominating the rest of their schedule which is a much tougher run than anything Louisville will face in that weak ass AAC.

A playoff is needed to curb the corruption that is the BCS. Theres no consistency with voters a full 1/2 of them are complete nitwits.

4 teams is a good start, but all it is in reality is the BCS giving the fans what they want while maintaining a degree of control.

8 Teams is the best format for a playoff, while being able to keep ties with bowls. You take the existing 'aq' conference champs, and then 2 at large bids. No conference can have more than 2 teams in the playoffs. Not even the SEC. AQ needs to be re-evaluated as well because that new AAC is crap. MWC for aq!!!

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BSU being ranked 19th is certainly not the best ever reason for needing a playoff. Far from it. BSU may well end up dominating the rest of their schedule which is a much tougher run than anything Louisville will face in that weak ass AAC.

A playoff is needed to curb the corruption that is the BCS. Theres no consistency with voters a full 1/2 of them are complete nitwits.

4 teams is a good start, but all it is in reality is the BCS giving the fans what they want while maintaining a degree of control.

8 Teams is the best format for a playoff, while being able to keep ties with bowls. You take the existing 'aq' conference champs, and then 2 at large bids. No conference can have more than 2 teams in the playoffs. Not even the SEC. AQ needs to be re-evaluated as well because that new AAC is crap. MWC for aq!!!

I disagree, as there are usually not 8 teams that deserve a shot a shot at the NC.

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree, as there are usually not 8 teams that deserve a shot a shot at the NC.

Actually there are. Every AQ champ deserves a shot. Then theres usually 2 other teams that certainly deserve a shot.

So in sum USUALLY there are 8 teams deserving a playoff bid. In fact, always.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually there are. Every AQ champ deserves a shot. Then theres usually 2 other teams that certainly deserve a shot.

I disagree with that. Just because you win your conf. does not mean you deserve a shot. Last year Wisky won the B1G, did they deserve a shot? I say hell no. If Nebraska would have won the CCG they would not have deserved it either. The regular season should still mean something.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I disagree completely. If an AQ conference winner has 3 losses do they do deserve a shot? No way.

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree completely. If an AQ conference winner has 3 losses do they do deserve a shot? No way.

Yes they do. Who are you to say for example that a 3 loss SEC conference champ is worse than a 1 loss B1G champ?

No one, thats who.

We all have opinions but on the field is where it should be settled, not in a sports forum or by some nitwit with a vote.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes they do. Who are you to say for example that a 3 loss SEC conference champ is worse than a 1 loss B1G champ?

No one, thats who.

We all have opinions but on the field is where it should be settled, not in a sports forum or by some nitwit with a vote.

Sorry bud, but were gonna have to agree to disagree.

metal_frk_334

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The SEC and B1G schedule for the 2013 was made a year prior. It was easy to know that FL, GA and SC were the top teams in the east at that time. It would have been just as easy to ensure the top teams in the west played at least one of those teams in the regular season as there are several cross over games. I think all those conferences that are bigger could do this very easily without too much disruption of anything else.

As far as I know the SEC made changes to the schedule due to the fact that teams like Bama and Florida weren't going to play each other for another 5 or 6 years. After a hasty conference expansion a hasty schedule was thrown together. They already knew they were going to have to adjust it when they planned it out last year. Now they are scheduling years in advance again. Btw, Bama now plays Florida next year.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-
I like more. Mostly from the entertainment aspect of the situation. The more good games the better. Plus I love a big upset. there is a reason one of the most memorable BCS games ever was OU/BSU. In a perfect world the regular season would be shortened a game or 2 and a bigger playoff format would come about, but schools only care about money, so that wont happen. Another reason I would like to see an expanded format is style of play. I would like to see teams face other styles. I want the champ to face high scoring spread team and a power offense on their march to a title.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as I know the SEC made changes to the schedule due to the fact that teams like Bama and Florida weren't going to play each other for another 5 or 6 years. After a hasty conference expansion a hasty schedule was thrown together. They already knew they were going to have to adjust it when they planned it out last year. Now they are scheduling years in advance again. Btw, Bama now plays Florida next year.
Good. The top teams should always play a top team or two in the other division.