• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Things Jim Harbaugh has done (it's amazing)

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Resume doesn't make someone the best. Being better than everyone else makes you the best. I assume the people who put Harbaugh in their top 5 do it for similar reasons as I do. They believe he can and may even believe he will accomplish all of the things you've listed. So you're asking yourself "Does Urban Meyer's Grim Reaper have one of the best 5 resumes in college football?" when you should be asking yourself "Is Jim Harbaugh one of the best 5 motivators and teachers of football to college players?"
Resume (acomplishments) are exactly what make someone the best. There are many with potential but to be the best they have to achieve those accomplishments. So far Harbs has not achieved what many consider what defines the best in college football and thats a NC. Could Harbs achieve this, yes. Has he yet, no. You dont get considered the best from potential.

B_dub

Hoopla Cash
$ 547.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jimbo invented the anti-theft ziplock sandwich bags, the baby mop, and tie-flask.
crazy-inventions-11.jpg
crazy-inventions-7-1.jpg

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear he parted the red sea, led the chosen ones from the pharaohs grasp, and carried a staff he could turn water into wine and make into a serpent at any point he needed.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And nobody would say otherwise. I just find it odd that a HC that doesn't even have 50 career W's, or even a single conference crown, has yet to win multiple big time bowl games & doesn't have a Natty is somehow considered w/ such an incomplete CFB coaching resume a top 5 coach right now.

I think that he turned around 2 collegiate programs and took his pro team to 3 NFC title games and a super bowl (in his first 3 years) has something to do with his hype.

Remember, he has only technically been coaching d-1A football for 5 seasons. So expecting him to have 50 career wins and multiple big bowl wins when he inherited a 1-11 team in Palo Alto and a 5-7 team in Ann Arbor is being a bit biased. Not that I'd ever expect a bucknut not to be when it came to Meatchicken.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that he turned around 2 collegiate programs and took his pro team to 3 NFC title games and a super bowl (in his first 3 years) has something to do with his hype.

Remember, he has only technically been coaching d-1A football for 5 seasons. So expecting him to have 50 career wins and multiple big bowl wins when he inherited a 1-11 team in Palo Alto and a 5-7 team in Ann Arbor is being a bit biased. Not that I'd ever expect a bucknut not to be when it came to Meatchicken.

I judge coaches on their resume & JH's in incomplete. I can't rank him that high right now based on future expectations. If that makes me a bit biased then so be it.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Stop making sense -- there is no place for that here. :)

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Urban Meyer inherited a 6-7 team at Ohio State and won 50 games in 4 years along with a National Title. Harbaugh has a lot of work to do.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
starwars.gif

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But wouldn't the person with the best resume be the best?

Not necessarily. A coach with 25 years experience, a national championship, 8 conference titles, and a hand full of good bowl victories has the resume but a guy can be 5 years in with none of those accolades and actually be better at the job than the seasoned guy. Then you talk about college sports where it's easy for certain schools to bring in talent but really hard for others. The guy at a big time program, who didn't really build a thing himself, might get enough talent to make up for his deficiencies and win a title or 2 while a guy at another school may squeeze every single ounce of talent out of his players but just can't get the top level players to come to the school therefore they never even win a conference title. I mean how many coaches are better than Mark Dantonio? Better than Frank Beamer? Gary Patterson, Chris Peterson, Barry Alverez, Bill Snider? How about my guy Bo? Plenty of great coaches do big things and never finish the deal and they aren't any less great. How many programs wouldn't dump their guy right now if Mark Dantonio were available?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not necessarily. A coach with 25 years experience, a national championship, 8 conference titles, and a hand full of good bowl victories has the resume but a guy can be 5 years in with none of those accolades and actually be better at the job than the seasoned guy. Then you talk about college sports where it's easy for certain schools to bring in talent but really hard for others. The guy at a big time program, who didn't really build a thing himself, might get enough talent to make up for his deficiencies and win a title or 2 while a guy at another school may squeeze every single ounce of talent out of his players but just can't get the top level players to come to the school therefore they never even win a conference title. I mean how many coaches are better than Mark Dantonio? Better than Frank Beamer? Gary Patterson, Chris Peterson, Barry Alverez, Bill Snider? How about my guy Bo? Plenty of great coaches do big things and never finish the deal and they aren't any less great. How many programs wouldn't dump their guy right now if Mark Dantonio were available?

Getting better jobs is part of being a good coach. If you are working at McDonalds and getting the most out of those frozen patties, it doesn't mean you are or should be recognized as among the best cooks. Your buddies can brag about how great you'd be in another region and how much easier the others have, but it don't mean shit.

Coaches fail at the higher level constantly. Would you say Richrod and Hoke weren't having success before they came to Michigan?

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Getting better jobs is part of being a good coach. If you are working at McDonalds and getting the most out of those frozen patties, it doesn't mean you are or should be recognized as among the best cooks. Your buddies can brag about how great you'd be in another region and how much easier the others have, but it don't mean shit.

Coaches fail at the higher level constantly. Would you say Richrod and Hoke weren't having success before they came to Michigan?

What does this have to do with anything? Nick Saban is probably the best in the business. He didn't become a great coach at Alabama. He didn't become a great coach at LSU. I'd probably go as far as saying he didn't become a great coach at MSU. He was a great coach when he got those jobs which is why he got them. But he didn't win big at MSU. Had he stayed at MSU and won some confrerence titles but no natty, does that mean he's not great? No it doesn't. He did a fantastic job at MSU. He hasn't done any better a job at Bama, he's just able to pull a lot better players. Stats and records are only a part of what makes great coaches great. They sure as hell aren't the end all be all.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What does this have to do with anything? Nick Saban is probably the best in the business. He didn't become a great coach at Alabama. He didn't become a great coach at LSU. I'd probably go as far as saying he didn't become a great coach at MSU. He was a great coach when he got those jobs which is why he got them. But he didn't win big at MSU. Had he stayed at MSU and won some confrerence titles but no natty, does that mean he's not great? No it doesn't. He did a fantastic job at MSU. He hasn't done any better a job at Bama, he's just able to pull a lot better players. Stats and records are only a part of what makes great coaches great. They sure as hell aren't the end all be all.

Yes it does.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice rebuttal

Ralphie W, for the WIN!
Motion denied no natty. Stanford's success was due to Luck.The only thing Harbaugh accomplished at Stanford was having a 50k private bathroom installed. Shaw has done more for Stanford with less. @HammerDown s objection sustained :nod:

HzHQNDS.gif