• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

There are literally too many bowl games

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DI Board approves process to fill football bowls in case of shortfall

"Under the process approved Thursday, if a bowl has one or more conferences/teams unable to meet their contractual commitments and there are no available bowl-eligible teams, the open spots can be filled – by the bowl sponsoring agencies – as follows:

• First pool: Teams that finish 6-6 but would not normally be bowl eligible because they have a win against a Football Championship Subdivison team.
  • Second pool: A team that has a 6-6 record but beat two FCS teams.
  • Third pool: A team that finished with a 6-7 record, with the seventh loss being in a conference championship game.
  • Fourth pool: A team that played 13 games but finished with a 6-7 record.
  • Fifth pool: A team in the process of reclassifying to FBS football and has at least a 6-6 record.
  • Sixth pool: Any top 5 APR team with a 5-7 record."

Read all the message board rumors you want and come here and argue. That is the NCAA rule above.

It's my opinion they left it open to allow conferences to fill their own tie-ins OR bowls to pick teams that have historically traveled well.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only way I could agree to that is if P5 teams were forbidden to play FCS teams at the risk of being automatically disqualified for the playoffs.

Works for me

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You get the extra month of practice which most teams use for player development. If it wasn't for the additional practice teams would be turning down bowls left and right.
Exactly. That is why I think all schools should be allowed to practice through bowl season or add some time to spring ball. Not exactly an even playing field.

I believe, basketball teams are allowed to up until the final four even if they don't make the post season or get eliminated early. I could be wrong though.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DI Board approves process to fill football bowls in case of shortfall

"Under the process approved Thursday, if a bowl has one or more conferences/teams unable to meet their contractual commitments and there are no available bowl-eligible teams, the open spots can be filled – by the bowl sponsoring agencies – as follows:

• First pool: Teams that finish 6-6 but would not normally be bowl eligible because they have a win against a Football Championship Subdivison team.
  • Second pool: A team that has a 6-6 record but beat two FCS teams.
  • Third pool: A team that finished with a 6-7 record, with the seventh loss being in a conference championship game.
  • Fourth pool: A team that played 13 games but finished with a 6-7 record.
  • Fifth pool: A team in the process of reclassifying to FBS football and has at least a 6-6 record.
  • Sixth pool: Any top 5 APR team with a 5-7 record."

Read all the message board rumors you want and come here and argue. That is the NCAA rule above.

It's my opinion they left it open to allow conferences to fill their own tie-ins OR bowls to pick teams that have historically traveled well.

It wasnt message boards I was reading but analysts making their picks. they are putting it as the 5-7 teams with the top APR.

New bowl projections, now that Oklahoma's already in the College Football Playoff

Big 12 commissioner: Bowls could go dark without enough 6-6 teams - CBSSports.com

Bowl projections: Picture clearing up for CFP, New Year's Six games - CBSSports.com

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw this in one of the articles you referenced. LMAO

"Baylor lost the Fort Worth Regatta to TCU Friday night...."

Son-in-law sent me pictures that showed the 18th fairway at Colonial under water today. Colonial is real close to TCU.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

potzer25

The most eubillicant poster.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,909.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm fine with it. Let the kids go play a game against non-typical teams in a new location. The problem is that crap towns have a bowl that no one would want to visit.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They could always schedule those teams out of conference...oh wait they might lose and it would hurt their SoS. Never mind.

WTF are you talking about?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup.

The bowl committees are made up of city politicians and business owners from the host city.
They fill some hotel rooms, get restaurant business, and some local tourist attraction business.
The business owners make money and the city itself makes money from the taxes off of hotels and restaurants. The networks make money from commercials during the game.

The players do get some swag.

Extra practices in college football is a big deal and that's what bowl game teams get. Also, the national exposure and being able to say "went to a bowl" helps with recruiting.

What's fucked up about the whole thing is they force the schools to buy X amount of tickets and if they don't sell out, then the schools are left paying for the tickets. That's pretty much bullshit because it should be the promoters job not the schools. Forcing the schools to do their job is grade A bullshit.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They could always schedule those teams out of conference...oh wait they might lose and it would hurt their SoS. Never mind.

Do you know what SoS is?

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm talking about playing good teams OOC instead of waiting for bowl games between them. Hell most of the teams wouldn't even make it bowl games without their cupcake wins.

Like the FCS Florida A&M Rattlers that Oklahoma played a couple years ago?
Or the (3-9) UTEP miners they played the same season?

Nebraska played BYU (9-3), South Alabama (5-6), Miami, FL (8-4), and Southern Miss (9-3) Out of Conference.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about (3-9) and (2-10) Tulsa that Oklahoma played in 2013 and 2014

That "Good team OOC"?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes I do, the SEC teams are inflated every year with cupcake wins...lose games OOC and it isn't so high is it? Thanks for the BS rating by way. Truth must really suck for SEC people.

Oklahoma played more cupcakes this year than Alabama did.

Out of Conference:

Tulsa(#94), Akron(#75) - neither of them rank in the top70 for the S&P.

In Conference:

Kansas(#127), Texas(#84), Kansas St(#81) and Iowa St(#72) all rank below 70 in the S&P.

2015 Oklahoma advanced statistical profile

Alabama on the other hand played only 3 teams total with such ranks: MTSU(#79), ULM(#122) and our FCS team(who btw is ranked much higher than Kansas in sagarin). Hell, I'll even be nice and throw in Auburn as a cupcake if you want, since they are down there at (#61).

2015 Alabama advanced statistical profile

Almost filled with top50 teams. And btw, these are power rankings and are based 100% on game data and how the teams played. It specifically adjusts for teams that play easy opponents and isn't remotely based on win%.

So I really don't know what the fuck you keep bitching about. Are you under some dellusion that because you play 1 extra conference game and Alabama played a FCS game that somehow you are doing something so much more difficult? Because lol if so.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oklahoma played more cupcakes this year than Alabama did.

Out of Conference:

Tulsa(#94), Akron(#75) - neither of them rank in the top70 for the S&P.

In Conference:

Kansas(#127), Texas(#84), Kansas St(#81) and Iowa St(#72) all rank below 70 in the S&P.

2015 Oklahoma advanced statistical profile

Alabama on the other hand played only 3 teams total with such ranks: MTSU(#79), ULM(#122) and our FCS team(who btw is ranked much higher than Kansas in sagarin). Hell, I'll even be nice and throw in Auburn as a cupcake if you want, since they are down there at (#61).

2015 Alabama advanced statistical profile

Almost filled with top50 teams. And btw, these are power rankings and are based 100% on game data and how the teams played. It specifically adjusts for teams that play easy opponents and isn't remotely based on win%.

So I really don't know what the fuck you keep bitching about. Are you under some dellusion that because you play 1 extra conference game and Alabama played a FCS game that somehow you are doing something so much more difficult? Because lol if so.

Oklahoma played ULM in 2013. I guess that makes them a "good team OOC".

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oklahoma played ULM in 2013. I guess that makes them a "good team OOC".

I think the FCS team we played this year also ranks higher than ULM in Sagarin. But everyone thinks the FCS team is the weakest part of our schedule.

I punished teams for playing FCS on principle, but there are some pretty bad FBS teams.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the FCS team we played this year also ranks higher than ULM in Sagarin. But everyone thinks the FCS team is the weakest part of our schedule.

I punished teams for playing FCS on principle, but there are some pretty bad FBS teams.

(0-12) Kansas is the Big 12's FCS