• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Theory on the offense

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
So, I'll start by saying this is all speculation and hope on my end, but hear me out.

We know that Harbaugh and Roman have great offensive minds. We also know that our offense has been very stagnant, lacking the creativity from the last two years and ravaged by injuries.

Here's what I hope/think:

We are holding back until we see what we can get out of Manningham and Crabtree. The coaches recognize that we have a strong enough roster with a basic offense to still be one of the top 5-7 teams in the league and make the playoffs. Once we get our WRs back, the creativity can be turned up and we hit the final quarter of the season and the playoffs with stuff that teams don't have on film. You can look at it as rope-a-dope, or as if we're hustling the rest of the league.

What brought me to this idea? Harbaugh's comments on LMJ. He swears there's a place for him with us, and from what we saw last year that place is running the read option. Kaep is a fairly effective read option QB as well. Yet we aren't really seeing it at all right now. Maybe, hopefully, we're sitting on the RO and the explosive passing game until we get the weapons back, then we'll unleash hellfire on the rest of the league. Just in time to kick the shit out of Seattle and New Orleans and put a whole slew of new shit on film for teams to prep for going into the playoffs.

Man I hope so.

Pharcyde

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, I'll start by saying this is all speculation and hope on my end, but hear me out.

We know that Harbaugh and Roman have great offensive minds. We also know that our offense has been very stagnant, lacking the creativity from the last two years and ravaged by injuries.

We are holding back until we see what we can get out of Manningham and Crabtree. The coaches recognize that we have a strong enough roster with a basic offense to still be one of the top 5-7 teams in the league and make the playoffs. Once we get our WRs back, the creativity can be turned up and we hit the final quarter of the season and the playoffs with stuff that teams don't have on film. You can look at it as rope-a-dope, or as if we're hustling the rest of the league.

What brought me to this idea? Harbaugh's comments on LMJ. He swears there's a place for him with us, and from what we saw last year that place is running the read option. Kaep is a fairly effective read option QB as well. Yet we aren't really seeing it at all right now. Maybe, hopefully, we're sitting on the RO and the explosive passing game until we get the weapons back, then we'll unleash hellfire on the rest of the league. Just in time to kick the shit out of Seattle and New Orleans and put a whole slew of new shit on film for teams to prep for going into the playoffs.

Man I hope so.

Harbaugh and co are quirky enough to actually do something like this..... Doubt it though.

Wouldn't it be easier transition to just run what you do now regardless of what players you're waiting for and have what players are running it get good at running it? Plus I don't think they held anything back in Seattle. Harbaugh desperately wanted to win that game and winning that game meant upper hand on a tight race. Wouldn't risk it cause we're saving plays.

Pharcyde

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of versatility has been taken out of our offense because of the loss of delanie walker and the fact that its Bruce miller replacing him. They can call Bruce the new Swiss Army knife, but he's not able to be quite the pass catching threat walker was.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Harbaugh and co are quirky enough to actually do something like this..... Doubt it though.

Wouldn't it be easier transition to just run what you do now regardless of what players you're waiting for and have what players are running it get good at running it? Plus I don't think they held anything back in Seattle. Harbaugh desperately wanted to win that game and winning that game meant upper hand on a tight race. Wouldn't risk it cause we're saving plays.

He did it to a lesser extent last year though. They stopped running Read Option plays the last few weeks of the season specifically so GB wouldn't be ready for it in the playoffs. And that included the game in Seattle which winning would have eased a lot of tension going into the last week.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Also, I think once we get Manningham and Crabtree (assuming he comes back) back in the lineup, Boldin becomes the Walker type. That was my thought when we acquired him, but then Crabtree went down and Boldin had to take on the role of a traditional WR.

Pharcyde

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He did it to a lesser extent last year though. They stopped running Read Option plays the last few weeks of the season specifically so GB wouldn't be ready for it in the playoffs. And that included the game in Seattle which winning would have eased a lot of tension going into the last week.

Yeah true they did hold off on the RO for a few weeks to hide it until GB. They did run that a lot prior to hiding it. Just can't think of what they possibly would have after manning ham and crabs get back specially not knowing the type of players they would be getting back post injury.

I think everyone is just thinking that as soon as manningham and crabs are activated they will automatically be their old selves. I hope they are just wouldn't be surprised if they weren't. Both players suffered the most severe injury in their careers, we'll see how quickly they can shed the mental hurdle of the injury.

Pharcyde

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're thinking isn't too off though if we get crabs and manningham back. I'm sure the offense opens up quite a bit and hopefully gets more creative with their additions. Just so limited with only boldin as a real nfl receiver.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I see are issues on offense more personnel than philosophical.

Right now we just don't have the playmakers in the passing game to stretch and stress defenses which in turn poses problems for some of the things we want to do on offense since defenses are really only afraid of VD burning the deep.

Once we get Crabtree and MM back (assuming they can come back to full speed) I believe you'll start to see the offense open up far more because now defenses are forced to respect the passing game and they can't just play it close to the line of scrimmage like they can now.

HighTopFade

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:agree:

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who do the Niners have who can go up and get a jump ball right now? Baldwin? Boldin isn't being used like that except that he can catch Kaep's low passes. SF doesn't have anyone who can burn DBs, and I don't think Manningham/Crabtree will change that.

I was highly critical of the Manningham signing, and I was happy to eat crow last year, but I'm worried about how SF plans to improve one of the worst passing games of the league. I'm not so sure SF's passing game gets a lot better this year. Where is the burner that defenses have to respect?

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think IMAC has some good points, there were certainly clues last year from stories about Roman from Mike Silver, and Peter King I think, that he was holding back until the playoffs on some things in the playbook. It's also explains why two of the most creative offensive minds in the game would suddenly stall out, I think maybe they abandoned their running game for a bit because they knew they could always go back to it and were trying things out. Regarding the read option though, I really think that they're dialing back on that in part because Harbaugh and Roman have no confidence in their backup situation.

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Man I hope so.

I hope that's the case. You did see it in the 2nd half against Green Bay in the playoffs when they unleashed the read option on them. The defense is good enough to keep us in games until the offense hits its stride with a full compliment of weapons.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Man I hope so.

Since each win is just as important as another whether its early or late, wouldn't the time for creativity be when we are at our least talented, like now?

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of versatility has been taken out of our offense because of the loss of delanie walker and the fact that its Bruce miller replacing him. They can call Bruce the new Swiss Army knife, but he's not able to be quite the pass catching threat walker was.

Delanie Walker? That dude had hands of stone! He knocked down more passes than any DB on our team.

Abeka

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Man I hope so.

Spot on Imac, we also got used to the "hell fire" we displayed last season and with the injuries we have now there is no way we can operate at that level so i also believe we are just pausing till our WR's are healthy again and things will open up or like you said we shall commence "Hell Fire"

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Our offensive staff clearly has a record of keeping things up their sleeve until necessary. But it has to be balanced against the fact that we can't lose home field advantage to SEA. I can see it in some circumstances, but it doesn't quite explain the performance against the Colts, which as a home game was somewhat a "must win" in this light. Seems like that game was more of a screw-up than anything else.

Jtymer49er

Jtymer49er
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Our offensive staff clearly has a record of keeping things up their sleeve until necessary. But it has to be balanced against the fact that we can't lose home field advantage to SEA. I can see it in some circumstances, but it doesn't quite explain the performance against the Colts, which as a home game was somewhat a "must win" in this light. Seems like that game was more of a screw-up than anything else.

we lost the colts game because we forgot to run the ball down their throat

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We currently lack the threat to take the top off of defenses, allowing S to sit on routes in front of them. Our supposed deep threats can't get off the jams at the line.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Exactly. If it comes at the expense of losing home field to Seattle...not worth. I can't imagine us winning up there even if we get Mario and Crabs back.