• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: The XFL thread

Rowdy

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,698.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DC about to be upset the 2nd week in a row to a team getting their 1st win?

I’m wondering if Snyder bought them after their first two wins. They look awful in all three phases

Rowdy

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,698.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
About like this DC team isn’t even coached

Cowboyinexile

I have spoken
Hoopla Cash
$ 52,518.49
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've seen more fans at a high school football game.

I kinda wonder if it being a Sunday night game is an issue. It's a novelty without time to develop real fandom. Saturday or Sunday afternoon games are easy to do but Sunday night when you're looking at getting home late with work the next morning, unless you are into it you watch on tv.

I noticed next week the Sunday night game is in LA. From an attendance standpoint that's probably smart going forward. It's an evening game for the east and central viewers but an afternoon game for the fans in attendance.

gobigred

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stupid decision by Cornelius

Tampa Bay had great chance to make a 3 possession game

Cowboyinexile

I have spoken
Hoopla Cash
$ 52,518.49
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this football is not good

It's ok.

In general the league needs better quarterback play. That's hard though because the pool of players who can play that position at an elite level is less than a linebacker or safety. So you have a bunch of quarterbacks who will never sniff the NFL and a bunch of guys in the back 7 who have a shot at camp invites next fall.

The Corndog pick just now. He saw the receiver and released just a second too late. DB made a great move and it looked like it was a lame duck pass. In college that's a touchdown. In the NFL that's a pick with an average quarterback and a touchdown with a good one. Here it's a pick all the time.

gobigred

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol Cardale returns the favor with a stupid throw that gets picked

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,454.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How you liking the XFL so far?
It has moments. Better than the aaf. But like the aaf the qb play makes it so hard to watch a times. It's not even like there's game manager competence. It's just bad nfl re treads from years ago. There's gotta be better out there......

you?

I do like the play clock, the transparency on everything. I think the d play has been solid too- and not just because the qbs suck. There's positives. Just the qbs man!

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,005.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In general the league needs better quarterback play. That's hard though because the pool of players who can play that position at an elite level is less than a linebacker or safety. So you have a bunch of quarterbacks who will never sniff the NFL and a bunch of guys in the back 7 who have a shot at camp invites next fall.
To be fair to all of the QB's and offenses in general, once again they didn't learn the lessons from the first time around. Didn't have the offenses together to even begin work until December? Both college and the NFL have spring ball to at least go over fundamentals, install plays, etc. Give your guys stuff to work on so fall camps come and you have the chance to go into deeper areas.

These guys were not together anywhere near long enough to build quality reps and learn each other.

They will never be top tier, but they should be a heck of a lot better than they are now. And it really isn't the fault of the players.

Cowboyinexile

I have spoken
Hoopla Cash
$ 52,518.49
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It has moments. Better than the aaf. But like the aaf the qb play makes it so hard to watch a times. It's not even like there's game manager competence. It's just bad nfl re treads from years ago. There's gotta be better out there......

you?

I do like the play clock, the transparency on everything. I think the d play has been solid too- and not just because the qbs suck. There's positives. Just the qbs man!

Part of the problem for them is mid level quarterbacks get paid by the league and continually get another opportunity. Someone like Paxton Lynch would probably be solid here but he already has 15 million reasons not to risk his body for a $60K/year gig. Plus he'll probably spend another 5 years bouncing around as a backup and make more money doing so than either of us will see in our lifetime. For 80% of the players in this league they've made 25% of that if they are lucky and know that this is an audition that could set them up.

Maybe we find some better quarterback play over time here. Cornelius was fine tonight. He isn't a NFL caliber quarterback but in college was more than just a game manager. The Houston QB is undersized for the NFL but looks ok here. Over time the NFL is going to look at this as a developmental league so you may start to see more quarterbacks who need experience before they are ready to play filtering down.