• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The way too early 53 man roster projection

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anybody Wanna take a stab at who they think makes the final 53? I know its really early but it would be fun to see what everyone thinks and compare it too later. I will have mine up soon, really hard to think on this and work at the same time. Some tough calls on here.

bigninerfan56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll take a stab at it. The players bolded are players I can see being replaced by one of the players on the practice squad or cut outright.

QB (3): Smith, Kapernick, Johnson
RB (4): Gore, Hunter, James, Jacobs
FB (1): Miller
TE (3): Davis, Walker, Byham
WR (5): Crabtree, Moss, Manningham, Jenkins, Williams
OL (8): Staley, Iupati, Goodwin, Kilgore, Davis, Boone, Looney, Slowey

DL (6): Smith, McDonald, Sopoaga, RJF, Dobbs, Tukuafu
OLB (3): Smith, Brooks, Haralson,Fleming
ILB (4): Willis, Bowman, Grant, Gooden
CB (5): Rogers, Culliver, Brown, Brock, Cox
S (3): Whitner, Goldson, Robinson

ST (7): Akers, Lee, Jennings, Ginn, Cartwright, Spillman, Jones

Practice Squad: Tolzien, Johnson, Person, Beeler, Reuland, Nelms, Williams

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I'll take a stab at it. The players bolded are players I can see being replaced by one of the players on the practice squad or cut outright.

For the most part that's how I see the roster panning out as well. I think Johnson and Williams might be able to sneak on it at their positions and Dixon might be able to sneak on as well as an ST guy if we gamble and go with one less OL.

JMedlock5186

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I cant narrow it down that far to 53 but I will throw out my first draft at who I think is on the bubble and who will make it. I also cant say to much about the rookies due to training camp needing to start. () denotes Bubble Player

Offense
QB= Smith, Johnson, Kaep.
RB= Gore, James, Hunter, Jacobs, Miller, (Dixon)
TE= Davis, Walker, Byham
WR= Moss, Crabtree, Manningham, Jenkins, Ginn, (Williams)
OT= Staley, Boone, Davis
OG= Iupati, Kilgore, Looney, (Person)
OC= Goodwin, (Beeler)

Defense
DE= Smith, McDonald, Dobbs
NT= Sopoaga, RJF, (Williams), (Tukuafu)
OLB= Haralson, Smith, Brooks, (Fleming)/(Johnson)
ILB= Willis, Bowman, Grant, Gooden
CB= Rogers, Brown, Culliver, Brock, Cox, (Holcomb)
S= Goldson, Whinter, Spillman, Robinson, (Jones)
k= Akers
P= Lee
LS= Jennings

Again, I am not too sure about the drafted players and the UDFA so I will say that alot of these guys have a good chance at making the roster

JMedlock5186

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

props for even trying to narrow it down that far. I was like damn we have so many good players. In the end we will have to wait until training camp and preseason but it is fun to speculate right

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Off top of my head:

Offense - total 26
QB (3) Smith, Kaep, Johnson
O-Line (8) Staley, Iupati, Goodwin, Killgore, Davis, Boone, Looney, Person
WR (6) Crabs, Moss, Mario, Jenkins, Williams, Ginn
RB (5) Gore, James, Hunter, Jacobs, Cartwright
FB (1) Miller
TE (3) Davis, Walker, Byham

Defense - total 24
D-Line (6) McDonald, Soap, J. Smith, Dobbs, RJF, Takuafu
OLB (4) A. Smith, Brooks, Haralson, Fleming
ILB (3) Willis, Bowman, Grant
CB (6) Rogers, Brown, Culliver, Cox, Holcomb, Brock
S (5) Goldson, Whitner, Robinson, Spillman, C. Jones

Kickers (& LS) - total 3
1. Lee
2. Akers
3. Jennings

Notes: Fleming also fills an ILB backup role which frees up the spot.

-Really iffy on Cartwright making the team. Keep going back and forth on that one. Leaning towards Cam Johnson taking his place if he shows anything. Or could go w/ Ian Williams

Last edited by a moderator:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
didn't we sign Tukuafu for two more years? this doesn't guarantee he makes the roster, but does indicate he has the "benefit of the doubt".

three of you think he's on the bubble?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

i know you're just taking a stab at it, so just 'small' comments.

Byham - would have to agree, does the injury affect him? then not so sure we can afford a pure blocking TE?

Slowey - think he has a chance to make the P.S.?

Tukuafu - could be wrong on his new contract, but if its two years, i say he sticks on the roster.

Haralson/Fleming - how can we cut Haralson when we don't even have enough OLB's? Fleming has a decent chance simply because we don't have enough OLB's.

Gooden - isn't he a core ST's guy? this by itself won't save him, just asking?

Cox - think we'll keep four CB's just by the nature of the NFL? Cox is in a battle for a spot unless he can add to ST's? he may not be the primary returner, but being a capable back-up might save him?

Cartwright's spot isn't so sure now, cause one of these rookies could be almost as good on ST's?

with the addition of James, don't see Jacobs making the team. IMO he really isn't a good short yardage guy.....despite his size? so whats the benefit of holding a spot?

EaseUrStorm

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
We could potentially add Vet Min players to G, CB, and S. Then the last spots get really interesting.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Byham - would have to agree, does the injury affect him? then not so sure we can afford a pure blocking TE?

Tukuafu - could be wrong on his new contract, but if its two years, i say he sticks on the roster.

Haralson/Fleming - how can we cut Haralson when we don't even have enough OLB's? Fleming has a decent chance simply because we don't have enough OLB's.

Cox - think we'll keep four CB's just by the nature of the NFL? Cox is in a battle for a spot unless he can add to ST's? he may not be the primary returner, but being a capable back-up might save him?

Cartwright's spot isn't so sure now, cause one of these rookies could be almost as good on ST's?

with the addition of James, don't see Jacobs making the team. IMO he really isn't a good short yardage guy.....despite his size? so whats the benefit of holding a spot?

I see Cox, Gooden, and Byham making the team. Unless Byham isn't healthy yet. I don't see a guy like Holcomb making it and C Jones is very questionable.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will Tukuafu signed a (very cheap) 2-year contract in March. He'll be making 465K in '12 and 555K in '13.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

Jacobs will make the team because he's a big bruising back and if you could cure him of the tip toe disease he can do that well.

EaseUrStorm

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Let me jump in:

Byham should be at full strength and he's a very good blocking TE. He should make the team

Yes

He's a vet min type guy. He's totally expendable, but we didn't draft anyone to take his spot.

Haralson could be gone. We'll be paying him almost $3 mil to backup. Fleming and C. Johnson have an outside chance to both make it.

Don't think Gooden makes the team

Cox has good potential and if he keeps his head straight he can and should make this team. He can also fill backup punt return duties making Williams (or even Ginn) more expendable.

I almost don't want Cartwirght to make this team. Can go w/ the OLB draftees instead

Think Jacobs makes it. He's a much better player than Dixon who's not very good. Gives us change in pace option upgrade.

bigninerfan56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think we'll keep three TEs and if the Byham is healthy I think he stays, if not Reuland or a player on another team that gets cut could be here.

I kept Slowey over Person on the roster because we potentially already have a backup swing OT (Boone), but I can certainly see those two being flipped.

At this point, I think Tukuafu is a better player than Williams, but I could also see Williams sticking on the roster because he plays a position of need (NT).

I wasn't saying we would get rid of both, but I could see Haralson being cut becasue of his salary IF Johnson and Fleming prove they belong. I chose Fleming over Johnson because his potential value on ST.

If Fleming proves he can be a stud on ST, and the coaching staff doesn't think they can hide Johnson on the PS, Gooden may be gone IMO.

I think we most certianly have to keep 5 CB on the roster with today's passing attacks and injuries (I believe brown, culliver, and brock have all missed some time.

I think Cartwright is safe because he'll be the engine behind our ST much like Costanzo was last season.

Great questions and sorry I wasn't clear on this.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Will Tukuafu signed a (very cheap) 2-year contract in March. He'll be making 465K in '12 and 555K in '13.

ok mahalo.

it doesn't show any guaranteed money so again, know it doesn't save him. but makes you think Baalke likes his potential, else why TWO years?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Jacobs will make the team because he's a big bruising back and if you could cure him of the tip toe disease he can do that well.

no argument he's a big back and if he comes in the 4th quarter, no doubt the tired defenders will be tested. but is this worth a roster spot?

we look at his size and automatically think short yardage? but IMO he's never been anything special in short yardage. even Bradshaw seemed better at it?

if Gore gets hurt, do we prefer Hunter as the main back or Jacobs? so Hunter would still get the lion's share of reps right? in this scenario i'd prefer to start using James as teh back-up, not Jacobs.

so again, Jacobs can be 'situational' but is his 'situations' worth a roster spot? i say no.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Haralson could be gone. We'll be paying him almost $3 mil to backup. Fleming and C. Johnson have an outside chance to both make it.

is our cap an issue? if not, why cut Haralson if we don't have to?

Haralson is good on 1st and 2nd downs, so i'd keep him even at $3M. no guarantee Aldon Smith becomes good at it, nor he or Brooks remain healthy all season. do we want quality depth, or rookie depth?

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QB: Smith, Kap, Johnson (3)
RB: Gore, Hunter, James, Jacobs (4)
FB: Miller (1)
TE: Davis, Walker, Byham (3)
WR: Crabtree, Moss, Manningham, Jenkins, Williams, Ginn (6)
OL: Staley, Iupati, Goodwin, Kilgore, Davis, Boone, Looney, Beeler (8)

Total: 25

DL: Smith, Soap, Mcdonald RJF, Dobbs, Tukuafu, Williams (7)
OLB: Smith, Brooks, Haralson, Johnson,Fleming (5)
ILB: Willis, Bowman, Grant, Gooden (4)
CB: Rogers, Brown, Culliver, Cox, Brock (5)
S: Goldson, Whitner, Spillman, Robinson (4)

ST: Akers, Lee, jennings (3)

Total: 3

PS:
1.Tolzien(although he has a good chance of beating johnson i feel he will be claimed if put on PS.
2. Owusu(hope he doesnt get claimed if put on here)
3. Slowey
4. Jewel Hampton(hope he wont get claimed either)
5. Nelms
6. Legree
7. Celek

Bolded are people i can see easily replaced or on the bubble as they would say.

Last edited by a moderator:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
QB: Smith, Kap, Johnson (3)
RB: Gore, Hunter, James, Jacobs (4)
FB: Miller (1)
TE: Davis, Walker, Byham (3)
WR: Crabtree, Moss, Manningham, Jenkins, Williams, Ginn (6)
OL: Staley, Iupati, Goodwin, Kilgore, Davis, Boone, Looney, Beeler (8)

DL: Smith, Soap, Mcdonald RJF, Dobbs, Tukuafu, Williams (7)
OLB: Smith, Brooks, Haralson, Johnson,Fleming (5)
ILB: Willis, Bowman, Grant, Gooden (4)
CB: Rogers, Brown, Culliver, Cox, Brock (5)
S: Goldson, Whitner, Spillman, Robinson (4)

ST: Akers, Lee, jennings (3)

Total: 3

PS:
1.Tolzien(although he has a good chance of beating johnson i feel he will be claimed if put on PS.
2. Owusu(hope he doesnt get claimed if put on here)
3. Slowey
4. Jewel Hampton(hope he wont get claimed either)
5. Nelms
6. Legree
7. Celek

Bolded are people i can see easily replaced or on the bubble as they would say.

think the P.S. is now eight (8)?