• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The way too early 53 man roster projection

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Jacobs will make the team because he's a big bruising back and if you could cure him of the tip toe disease he can do that well.

He's been in the league seven years. If he hasn't been cured of it yet, it's unlikely he'll get over it at age 30.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
A little late to this, but figured I'd take a shot. This will be the toughest year since '03, probably, in terms of cuts.

OFFENSE (25 players)

QB (3): Smith, Kaepernick, Johnson

No real controversy here, other than who takes over #2. Tolzien should be safe on the PS. Johnson isn't guaranteed a spot, but obviously Harbaugh likes him to some extent.

RB (5): Gore, James, Hunter, Jacobs, Miller

The first tough call. Personally, I'd rather Dixon get his shit together and stick than go with Jacobs, but I don't think it's likely. For now, Cartwright loses out to other, more versatile players.

TEs (3): Davis, Walker, Byham

The only question here is whether Byham is recovered. He'll have over a year since the injury, so I think he will be. The coaching staff desperately wanted a better blocking TE last year, and Byham was looking like one of the better guys in the league as a rookie. He's versatile enough to play some FB, and might even offer something as an occasional receiver.

WRs (6): Crabtree, Manningham, Jenkins, Moss, Ginn, Williams

Williams is really on the bubble, especially as none of these guys can really contribute on coverage units. But he's a talented young player who could be a great fit in the slot, and I'd hate to get rid of him at this point.

OL (8): Staley, Iupati, Goodwin, Davis, Boone, Kilgore, Looney, Person

No real surprises here. Not certain person grabs that last spot. Slowey has a legit shot. It probably goes to whoever looks the best at center.

DEFENSE (25 players)

DL (7): Smith, McDonald, Sopoaga, Jean-Francois, Tukuafu, Dobbs, Williams

This is tough, as well. These guys aren't STs contributors, at least on coverage, so their spots are not secure. However, with Sopoaga and RJF FAs next season, Williams has to make it. Tukuafu was the first guy off the bench before he was injured last year. We didn't add any depth here, really, and none of these guys are safe on the PS.

OLB (4): Smith, Brooks, Haralson, Fleming

I wouldn't be shocked if Haralson gets cut, or if we keep five with Johnson earning a spot. Fleming is a good STs player, and could take the spot that was reserved for Cartwright or Gooden. He could also back up ILB in a pinch.

ILB (4): Willis, Bowman, Grant, Gooden

Gooden is in a dogfight for a STs role. I'll give him the nod for now, as he's relatively young and ILB is thin without him, but he could easily lost his spot to Cartwright or Fleming.

CB (5): Rogers, Brown, Culliver, Brock, Cox

Holcomb is safe on the PS, so no need to use a roster spot. Cox was a starter before his legal troubles, albeit a shaky one. I think he sticks for now.

S (5): Goldson, Whitner, Spillman, Robinson, Jones

Like many of these folks, Jones is on the bubble, but the team seems to like his STs ability. Not sure if he's a S or a WR these days, but I'll leave him here for now.

STs (3): Akers, Lee, Jennings

PS (8): OLB/DE Johnson, WR Owusu, TE Reuland, OL Slowey, RB Hampton, CB Holcomb, OLB Brown, DL Butrym

No real strong sense on these guys, but this positional mix looks about right. Might keep another OL. Two OLBs cause Johnson and Brown seem to have pretty good skill sets.