• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The University of Nebraska at Lincoln Cornhuskers vs Northwestern wildcats of Evanston, Illinois

psaboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he needs to give it a couple years before re-evaluating his own staff.

He was handed a turd here at Nebraska and was expected to turn it into a gem. That’s not going to happen in year 1. Many of the glaring issues we had last season are still glaring this season.

Add in the fact that these players now have a new daddy. They’re all young men. Many of them are immature. Some of them still feel loyal to Mike Sprinkles Riley. That’s just how this goes when you make a coaching change after 3 seasons.

We are going to win a few games down the stretch here. We’ll carry a wee bit of momentum into the offseason and then next year we will see a big difference. We’re not going to contend for the West next year or anything like that, but we will be much more competitive.

By year 3 Frost will be contending for the West. Bookmark it, copy it, write it down......it’s a damn guarantee.

I was talking at end of year. Surely don't want to do anything during course of season, that would send wrong message. I'm just not liking the intensity or lack of, that the D is playing at. I think next years schedule sets up good for a 500 record or better, 2020 schedule is not bad either, few tough road games.

corn train

Have some of it
Hoopla Cash
$ 76,445.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I gave SF and his staff three years minimum before I thought weed see some real results, mainly on the lines. Still do

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I must have watched a different game or something. I didn't see anyone quit or stop trying. I saw a team that didn't know how to win yet. I saw a defense that got tired.

It’s pretty much that plus the dumb penalties down the stretch that lost it for us.

I mean, the odds of Nebraska losing with 5 mins left in that game were sooooo slim. We had to fuck it up in a very special way in order to lose.

We did.

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s pretty much that plus the dumb penalties down the stretch that lost it for us.

I mean, the odds of Nebraska losing with 5 mins left in that game were sooooo slim. We had to fuck it up in a very special way in order to lose.

We did.

The defense played well early, relatively speaking. Fatigue in the second half lead to some late pi's. Need more bodies that can play.

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NWs last drive in regulation should of been of no consequence. Yeah our defense was tired and made the same old penalties sustaining g their drive but it still should not have mattered.
Our final drive before that was horrendous.
Up o e score with 2 minutes on the clock and NW with 3 (?) timeouts all we needed to do was score and make it a two score lead.
The three runs called did nothing to the clock k because of timeouts. If he called pass plays it wouldn't have either but it would have given us a chance to sustain the drive. 2 or 3 receivers downfield and AMs ability to scramble and run would have given us a chance.
With that said if we had a line that could create some holes at that point in the game those calls may have worked. it would be nice to be able to just pound the ball when we need to but we can't and every team knows we cant so they stack the box stuff itup our a** and they wi the game.
Personnel is definitely a problem but I think a little creative play calling would have gone a long way on that drive.

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yea, i was thinking the same thing. i'd have liked to see more RPO in that ending situation. i said it somewhere, maybe it was twitter. winners want the ball in their hands and i understand we think Ozigbo is a winner but it certainly looked like they were called handoffs, it certainly looked like AM might have had some room to run on those.

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it just annoys me a little bit at the regularity that SF goes back to the pass when the run is working. I think that is one problem AM has too vs what Milton does down at UCF. He just doesn't tuck it as early as he could and get the yards on the ground. I was screaming several times for AM to take off and he didn't. other than one instance below, i didn't note any runs that were actually passes that AM did take off on.

1st drive: penalty, 5yd pass, 33yd run, 0yd run, 42 yd pass TD
2nd drive: 8 runs - 27 yds, 3 passes (1 incomplete) - 25yds
3rd drive: 3 passes, 3 &out
4th drive: incompete, 12yd run, 6yd pass, 13yd run, incomplete, holding on a run, 3yd pass, 7yd pass.
5th drive: 2runs, 1 incomplete pass, 3&out
6th drive: no gain run by AM, incomplete pass, sack/fumble return for TD
7th was TD drive at end of half so passing necessary, 2 runs - 7yds, 4 passes
8th was a TD on 1st possession after half: 10 runs - 42 yds, 5 passes
9th drive - pass, pass, 4yd run for 1st down, interception
10th drive, TD: 5 runs- 76yds (all RBs, no AM runs either)
NW scores a TD, 28-21, need points
11th drive: run, pass, run (no gain on 3rd and short), 3&out
interception from Thorson, starting Field Position NW36
12th drive: 2 runs, 12 yards, 2 passes 9 yds, Maurice with the miraculous 1st down run off an AM fumble. pass (marked as a run for 2 yd loss, but recollection was this was a passing play that AM scrambles), incomplete pass, run. FG
13th drive, TD lead, need to drain 2 minutes of clock. 3 runs (2 by Ozigbo for no gain) and one sweep from Spielman. NW has 3 timeouts so waste a total of 25 seconds.

ok, so having written it out, it's not quite as bad as i thought. the 3rd drive sticks out after having a TD and missed FG on the first 2 drives, going to 3 passes seems wrong. the 4th drive we went to the pass on 1st down every time. which immediately puts you behind the chains if incomplete. the 9th drive too. i know we got a 1st down, but it seems like drives where we pass more than run aren't good to us. and again SF sticking with a trend of passing plays on 1st downs.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is amazing how close we are to being 4-2.

Seriously incredible when you really think about it.

I’ve been playing Martinez, Ozigbo and Spielman on my DraftKings teams every week because they’re going beast mode. You’d never know based on the production they have that their team would be 0-6.

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you should be playing the best player from opposing teams every week. against Wiscy that would have been Taylor and against NW that would have been the QB WR combo of Thorson and Nagel.

I seriously don't understand how we are so bad in coverage. isn't that what film study is for? just seems like we are typically giving too much cushion and backing off further even when it doesn't make sense for the down and distance. look at a lot of the 3rd &10 completions since the start of the season. the other team didn't do anything fancy, they had guys running to the first down marker and our guys were playing too far off and the QB made the throw. i know you don't want to get beat deep, but if you've done your film study, you know what the offense is going to attempt in most situations and you have to go with the probabilities and go after it when you see it. it seems to me they are always anticipating a deep ball on 3rd & 10 instead of the other team just going for the 1st down, thus they end up with a 1st down. Reed made some magnificent plays on this very situation, he was in the perfect spot, hit and tackled the guys before they could get to the 1st down marker.