• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The SEC Bias in Polls is Ridiculous

Ballboy534

Resident Rehabilitator
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While this seems to be a good idea, many teams would then load their schedules with cream puffs the first 5 weeks and back load their schedules with the tougher opponents hoping to get ranked high and survive. No clear cut answer to this problem, but in the end, either a team can play or not. We had ND last year who played a decent schedule of opponents, but got embarrassed in the title game. On the field is where it matters and if you can play, no obstacle will deter you, not even where you are ranked to start a season.

Doubtful, not with the changes coming next season. Besides, with conferences likely going to a nine game conference schedule in the future combined with early conference games and in-state or perennial rivalries, more teams will have tougher schedules. Ask UVA or Tennessee about their early season schedules this year...

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doubtful, not with the changes coming next season. Besides, with conferences likely going to a nine game conference schedule in the future combined with early conference games and in-state or perennial rivalries, more teams will have tougher schedules. Ask UVA or Tennessee about their early season schedules this year...

Or Bama, they have already played 2 FBS schools to start the season and one was top 10 ranked. My point is teams will find a way to make this work for them, there is no simple answer to this problem.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why i agree with this statement, its as plain as the intelligence and lack of bias in most of your posts:lol:
How do I 5 start this? hahahaahaha

Ballboy534

Resident Rehabilitator
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or Bama, they have already played 2 FBS schools to start the season and one was top 10 ranked. My point is teams will find a way to make this work for them, there is no simple answer to this problem.

Just depends on the year; we play two in-state FCS schools this year, but we also play UGA and SCar. The more the top 50-60 programs (and eventually 4-5 conferences) separate themselves financially and in the public's eye, the more I think some other rift is coming. Maybe it'll lead to an "FAS," "FBS," and "FCS" with regard to division one football, but the better teams aren't going to pull the mid-majors along forever.

Berkeley_Blues

Retired Experience Junkie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the SEC played and prevailed in more tough OOC games against the PAC and Big 12 -- I could be converted to an SEC bigot.

But until they do, I'll just consider the SEC a very good but not dominant conference.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the SEC played and prevailed in more tough OOC games against the PAC and Big 12 -- I could be converted to an SEC bigot.

But until they do, I'll just consider the SEC a very good but not dominant conference.

I think you are missing the point, from what i have read, most posters dont think the SEC is dominant. Perception versus reality tells us this and only the most hardcore posters think the SEC is dominant overall. Now in title department, we have been, but that comes down to lots of factors and many different trains of thought will tell you differing opinions on why this is.

My perception is the SEC is not a dominant conference top to bottom, but at the top they do have some teams who seem to be in the discussion alot lately and that is the reality of the situation. No one judges a conference by its bottom feeders or middle of the pack teams, its judged on the top runners and where they finish each year....and that is the reality of where we are today.

Notice i didnt use the words bigot, northern idiots, midwestern losers or anything to discuss my thoughts, I did it with careful thought and without calling stereotypical names or insults.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you are missing the point, from what i have read, most posters dont think the SEC is dominant. Perception versus reality tells us this and only the most hardcore posters think the SEC is dominant overall. Now in title department, we have been, but that comes down to lots of factors and many different trains of thought will tell you differing opinions on why this is.

My perception is the SEC is not a dominant conference top to bottom, but at the top they do have some teams who seem to be in the discussion alot lately and that is the reality of the situation. No one judges a conference by its bottom feeders or middle of the pack teams, its judged on the top runners and where they finish each year....and that is the reality of where we are today.

Notice i didnt use the words bigot, northern idiots, midwestern losers or anything to discuss my thoughts, I did it with careful thought and without calling stereotypical names or insults.
Well bo I am disappointed for not calling any names, this is a message board after all. All that aside this post should be put as the first response for any thread that puts the SEC vs whoever or one about polls. As most of us know we do not count who many times a team won the Orange bowl, we count how many NC they have. That is really the only one that matters nationally. That is obviously different for each individual team that is not in the NC game and wants to win their bowl. The NC is what matters most and the SEC has won it as of late so they get the benefit of their wins.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well bo I am disappointed for not calling any names, this is a message board after all. All that aside this post should be put as the first response for any thread that puts the SEC vs whoever or one about polls. As most of us know we do not count who many times a team won the Orange bowl, we count how many NC they have. That is really the only one that matters nationally. That is obviously different for each individual team that is not in the NC game and wants to win their bowl. The NC is what matters most and the SEC has won it as of late so they get the benefit of their wins.

True and why i posted that as far as that is concerned the SEC has been pretty dominant, but top to bottom we are not any better a conference than any others out of the Big 12, PAC, B1G, ACC...you know the big dogs. We are simply a normal conference that wiins some and loses some but has some top tier teams that challenge year in and out for a title and due to our stranglehold on that title game dominance, we will continue to be in that game until someone dethrones us. This perceived "Bias" is just that, perception of the individual. I see threads touting that TAMU should not be in the top 10, but I dont see any top teams stepping up to play them currently and if they did they would not find it as easy as many would like to think it is even with their defense being so lackluster, that offense is no joke.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Conferences that don't have top tier teams at the top of their standings do. They claim their depth makes them better. :lol:

TROJAN-MAN

Been around the block more times than the mailman
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Band, you just did it, what folks are crying about. You claimed your team beat a top 10. Making it sound like its a great feat. Most folks would agree that if A&M were in the Big 12 they would be ranked in the 15 to 20 range. But now they're in the SEC and get the higher ranking

This is what has folks panties in a wad

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Band, you just did it, what folks are crying about. You claimed your team beat a top 10. Making it sound like its a great feat. Most folks would agree that if A&M were in the Big 12 they would be ranked in the 15 to 20 range. But now they're in the SEC and get the higher ranking

I would not have made the claim had i know believed they truly are a top 10 team. There is no disgrace is losing to the top team in the country and i really dont see 9 other teams better than Bama that could beat A&M on any given day and it would take one hell of a defensive effort to do so. WE can play the if, and and buts all day, but in the end it comes down to can you do it on the field and that is what counts. I am willing to listen to arguments as to why someone feels there are 9 other teams that are better than A&M, if anyone wants to go to that extent, feel free and knock yourself.

BucksFanInGA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It may piss people off, but when a team from said conference has won the last decade's worth of titles, that perception gets cemented into a reality by the people that matter, and it doesn't hurt that the number 1 most influential sports network has several billion invested in continued SEC success...

But bottom line, with the exception of one year, other conferences have had the opportunity to shut up the talking heads and SEC fans and without exception have failed to do so...

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If A&M were in the big12, they would have run the table last year and likely been in the NCG. They would be ranked higher than 15-20 right now.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It may piss people off, but when a team from said conference has won the last decade's worth of titles, that perception gets cemented into a reality by the people that matter, and it doesn't hurt that the number 1 most influential sports network has several billion invested in continued SEC success...

But bottom line, with the exception of one year, other conferences have had the opportunity to shut up the talking heads and SEC fans and without exception have failed to do so...

No truer words have ever been spoken.:agree::10::suds:

SEC Official

Elongated Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is the kind of logic that scares me when I think about the future out our country...

So they play a brutal in conference schedule most years... but we focus on the 3 OOC games? Really...

Meanwhile teams like BSU play cupcakes all year long, and play 1-2 tough games all year (including the bowl) and they are suppose to get credibility.

Sorry... I take 5-6 tough games with multiple top 15 and top 10 teams in it over 1 game a year against a mediocre team in a large conference.

SEC Official

Elongated Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:agree:

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the kind of logic that scares me when I think about the future out our country...

So they play a brutal in conference schedule most years... but we focus on the 3 OOC games? Really...

Meanwhile teams like BSU play cupcakes all year long, and play 1-2 tough games all year (including the bowl) and they are suppose to get credibility.

Sorry... I take 5-6 tough games with multiple top 15 and top 10 teams in it over 1 game a year against a mediocre team in a large conference.
Gotta call B.S. on that.