• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The SEC Bias in Polls is Ridiculous

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Georgia wins out and they're in....sad but true
Not true at all ... we have to win out, and then we have to have less than 2 undefeated teams, which is very unlikely this year. I can easily see two of Bama, Clemson, Oregon/Stanford winner, OSU and and Louisville going undefeated. That's 5 teams.

Why would that be sad ... we would have lost to Clemson by 3 on the road, have beaten USCe, UF, LSU, GaTech, and then Bama/TAMU or LSU again. Seems pretty legit.

But, the only thing we control is winning the SEC, so that is the only goal right now. If we do that, we have to have a lot of luck to get the NC game.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're still losses. You shouldn't get rewarded for losses, plain and simple. It's kind of like the whole pussification of America where "everybody's a winner" in sports today..........

You aren't rewarded for losses. It's just that a loss to the #1 team doesn't mean you suck as bad as a loss to the #125 team.

It's nothing like a participation reward. In fact, trying to pretend like all losses are equal is more like it.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While the SEC has some very good teams -- the SEC is also an overblown joke.

I really feel The PAC just might straight up smoke the SEC head to head. The Big 12 might smoke the SEC too -- just look at Texas A&M in 2 short years.

Hell, The MWC conference is almost .500 against the SEC head to head during the BCS era, while playing almost all of those games in SEC country.

That so called .500 stat was shown to be BS already. Not to mention teams no longer in the MWC were used, as well as team records of current members before they even joined the MWC just to get it to that point, which was also shown to be incorrect.

Nevermind the mismatch in terms of ranks that such a stat ignores on top of it.

But regardless of the actual truth, Boise St fans have no problem bringing it up. Which is funny.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blind Resume Time:

Team A: Team B:
* 3-0 vs * 2-1
* Wins Nevada, Nebraska * Key win Rice
* 5th Ranked offense, 43rd Defense * 3rd Offense, 108th Defense

Team SEC is willing to defend that Team B deserves the higher ranking by a substantial margin.

Team A: Team B;
* 3-0 vs * 2-1
* Key wins West Virginia, Tulsa * Key win UNC
* 30th Offense, 14th Defense * 35 Offense, 51st Defense

Team SEC is willing to defend that Team B deserve the higher ranking by a substantial margin.

I can come up with 4 or 5 more examples, but will stop there for now.

hatcher3333

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
why do you just not look at the polls until the BCS poll comes out? there will be a better sample size by then. right now everything is based on perception.

right now I cannot see #6 losing to #1 being jumped by #15 or whatever because they beat a #25-#30 team.

hatcher3333

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not true at all ... we have to win out, and then we have to have less than 2 undefeated teams, which is very unlikely this year. I can easily see two of Bama, Clemson, Oregon/Stanford winner, OSU and and Louisville going undefeated. That's 5 teams.

Why would that be sad ... we would have lost to Clemson by 3 on the road, have beaten USCe, UF, LSU, GaTech, and then Bama/TAMU or LSU again. Seems pretty legit.

But, the only thing we control is winning the SEC, so that is the only goal right now. If we do that, we have to have a lot of luck to get the NC game.

Georgia doesn't have the luck needed to make it. the ball never bounces their way.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Team A: Team B:
* 3-0 vs * 2-1
* Wins Nevada, Nebraska * Key win Rice
* 5th Ranked offense, 43rd Defense * 3rd Offense, 108th Defense

Team SEC is willing to defend that Team B deserves the higher ranking by a substantial margin.

Team A: Team B;
* 3-0 vs * 2-1
* Key wins West Virginia, Tulsa * Key win UNC
* 30th Offense, 14th Defense * 35 Offense, 51st Defense

Team SEC is willing to defend that Team B deserve the higher ranking by a substantial margin.

I can come up with 4 or 5 more examples, but will stop there for now.

No no, it's week 3 and everything rides on these polls. Please, keep going with this. It is highly informative and of the utmost importance that we get week 3 polls correct. Keep up the good fight, you are doing Gods work here.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While the SEC has some very good teams -- the SEC is also an overblown joke.

I really feel The PAC just might straight up smoke the SEC head to head. The Big 12 might smoke the SEC too -- just look at Texas A&M in 2 short years.

Hell, The MWC conference is almost .500 against the SEC head to head during the BCS era, while playing almost all of those games in SEC country.

Might is possible, but when you look at reality its not that simple. Take the recent Texas and Ole miss game. Texas smoked that team last year and was the number three team in the Big 12, while Ole Miss was the number 9 team in the SEC. This year they were saying Texas was supposed to be better than last year yet that Ole Miss team rolled into Austin and smoked Texas's ass in front of its own fans. Now I will use the same analogy that you tried to use with past history, looking at this game we have a lower tier SEC team laying waste to an upper tier Big 12 team. Seems your logic might have a flaw in it. And I wont even go into what Texas A&M did to Oklahoma last year in the bowl game. Head to head the SEC would be fine against the PAC or BIG 12 and hold their own. Neither conference would "smoke" the SEC, it would be about even, which it should be.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That so called .500 stat was shown to be BS already. Not to mention teams no longer in the MWC were used, as well as team records of current members before they even joined the MWC just to get it to that point, which was also shown to be incorrect.

Nevermind the mismatch in terms of ranks that such a stat ignores on top of it.

But regardless of the actual truth, Boise St fans have no problem bringing it up. Which is funny.

To be fair, people have been ripping the B1G roundly lately due to something like this, but if you argue it people just say it's an excuse. Just saying.

ktg8trgrl

Go Gators!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, that was just wording. I considered power conferences and Aq schools the same. The SEC is 5-5 against the aac, acc, big 12, big 10 and PAC.

:thumb: I don't care really...this whole argument is pointless this early in the season.. win you move up lose you go down unless you barely win against a truly inferior team ie: D1 v D2-3 then you may drop in the polls due to perception. Then again win against good teams you move up and it was just a bad game early in the season.. it will all shake out by Nov..people are going to believe what they want and you aren't going to change their minds..

Uman5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Agian, there should be NO polls until after at least week 5.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agian, there should be NO polls until after at least week 5.

But then what would fans of shitty teams circling the drain have to talk about? :noidea:

BucksFanInGA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Until someone knocks them the fuck off their perch, this is what we have to deal with...

SECHATER12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope. I'm butthurt that my team is sucking, yes. I'm just calling out b.s. when I see it. The voters consistently putting SEC teams where they don't belong is b.s.

Bama and LSU both deserve their rankings. The rest mentioned are all undeservedly too high.

agreed the sec bias is clear as day everyone out side of the sec can see it.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
agreed the sec bias is clear as day everyone out side of the sec can see it.

Why i agree with this statement, its as plain as the intelligence and lack of bias in most of your posts:lol:

Ballboy534

Resident Rehabilitator
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This thread is exactly why I don't pay attention to rankings until October.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This thread is exactly why I don't pay attention to rankings until October.

Late October is when to really start to watch, but we have those whiners who want to make something out of nothing.

Ballboy534

Resident Rehabilitator
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one should be ranked in any poll that matters until after week 5.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one should be ranked in any poll that matters until after week 5.

While this seems to be a good idea, many teams would then load their schedules with cream puffs the first 5 weeks and back load their schedules with the tougher opponents hoping to get ranked high and survive. No clear cut answer to this problem, but in the end, either a team can play or not. We had ND last year who played a decent schedule of opponents, but got embarrassed in the title game. On the field is where it matters and if you can play, no obstacle will deter you, not even where you are ranked to start a season.

BlackSand

Pirate At Large
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I Want More Butt Hurt ... Less Reasoning ... Now Get With the Program Here

ETEN6.gif

We Need More Entertainment ... This Crap Is A Rerun.
Most of the people could get by just saving posts from the last few years, and switching the team names a little.