• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Score Reporting today:

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You make a great point, and really I don't know. If I were a coach I would think twice about it.

BTW, thank you for being classy. I hope the Lions kick the shit out of the Packers this Sunday. You guys deserve it!

:suds:

Not big on the trolling shit. I am also a guy who welcomes Peter Gozintite to the Lions board. Drives them guys crazy over there. I just can not do it.

I just wonder when the Packers have a dumpster fire style season? Way over due for sure.

Yes, I guess money can make many coaches think twice. Never really looked at it that way.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marc Trestman's contract was 4 years, 32 mil.

Not cheap.

Wait...rich...
Where did you get that? That's $8M a year? That's more then Belicheck. Check your source man.
It wasn't reported- but I think it was in the $4M a year range- slightly above rookie head coach level.
Need to eat about $8-10M on his deal. Plus whatever for asst. coaches. Bears need to cover something like $18M to fire all coaches.

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The most talented guys (Forte, Marshall, Bennett) are gonna be over the hill by the time the defense gets good enough to compete at a high. Alshon obviously is a keeper, as is Kyle Long. None of the other OLs have played well-enough to warrant staying around. And I think our defensive personnel is catastrophically bad. I wish I thought it was all Tucker, but I see 2 above-average defenders on this team right now (Fuller and 29-year-old Willie Young). Paea, Allen, TJ, and Briggs (if he ever comes back to the Bears) aren't sieves. None of the other defenders belong on an NFL field.

So by my count, I have 3 total guys who I want to see on our roster in three years: Alshon, Long, and Fuller. I guess you can throw in Gould. When that's all you have, it is time for a rebuild.

I really can't argue with you there.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody's "staying" away from a job as the Head Coach of The Chicago Bears.
and Jay Cutler isn't a reason to not take one of only 32 jobs in the world. There aren't enough QB's to go around in the league as is. As a head coach you could do a lot worse then Jay Cutler, just ask Lovie Smith... (and if it continues to always be Jay's fault the new coach can cut him after G. money is paid)

People were/are still lining up to coach the Jaguars/Oakland/Titans/Tampa/Texans/Arizona... every team. Shit- one of the most iconic coaches in Bears history even went on to coach one of the worse QB'd franchises in history when he went to the Saints. (pre Brees era)

Only reasons to stay away:
Forced to run someone else's system
Not able to hire your own OC/DC/STC (or someone *cough* Emery, hires them before you)
No Draft picks...thinking Ricky Williams ala Ditka. How'd that leave the franchise?
Expansion team in England. Lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't for firing Trestman up until a few weeks ago, but I can't defend him anymore. I thought he was a good offensive mind with a shitty defensive staff, but the first part of that conclusion seems to be void. It's time for this team to clean house: No Trestman, Emery, Kromer, Tucker, and if we can find a way to exorcise Cutler, Houston, the entire secondary, and more, I say go for it. It is very clear this team, as is, is trending in the wrong direction, and we can't just sit around and watch a trainwreck.

The GB game was when I turned on Trestman. The Detroit game was the nail in the coffin.

And no one is taking Cutler and the 38 mil left on the deal that comes with him. Especially after that big stanley steamer he just laid on national television Monday night.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait...rich...
Where did you get that? That's $8M a year? That's more then Belicheck. Check your source man.
It wasn't reported- but I think it was in the $4M a year range- slightly above rookie head coach level.
Need to eat about $8-10M on his deal. Plus whatever for asst. coaches. Bears need to cover something like $18M to fire all coaches.

I thought trestman was at 3.5 per. It was his first gig, so eating 7 is not much worse than
eating 5 per on a real coach for one year.

thunderspirit

KFFL expatriate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
would have felt better if they met tuesday, not before that embarassment yesterday.
Score host Dan Bernstein confirmed this morning on another Score show that the meeting was Monday afternoon, so several hours before the MNF debacle.

And honestly, it's a good thing that it was before then. I'd much rather think someone is watching the same downward spiral the rest of us are and reached the same conclusion about Trestman.

The future of Emery is reportedly "still under discussion". Whatever that means. Still, it give me some hope, however faint, that someone with authority is legitimately thinking about an overhaul that might actually include hiring someone with football acumen to oversee that part of the team. :hope:

nomoreshoop

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody's "staying" away from a job as the Head Coach of The Chicago Bears.
and Jay Cutler isn't a reason to not take one of only 32 jobs in the world. There aren't enough QB's to go around in the league as is. As a head coach you could do a lot worse then Jay Cutler, just ask Lovie Smith... (and if it continues to always be Jay's fault the new coach can cut him after G. money is paid)

People were/are still lining up to coach the Jaguars/Oakland/Titans/Tampa/Texans/Arizona... every team. Shit- one of the most iconic coaches in Bears history even went on to coach one of the worse QB'd franchises in history when he went to the Saints. (pre Brees era)

Only reasons to stay away:
Forced to run someone else's system
Not able to hire your own OC/DC/STC (or someone *cough* Emery, hires them before you)
No Draft picks...thinking Ricky Williams ala Ditka. How'd that leave the franchise?
Expansion team in England. Lol.

Emery is the monkey wrench in the whole thing, gotta have agreement in the whole chain. Of course winning helps that, but something gotta go first, and winning has long left the building.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wont mind if Emery goes, I just dont want to go thru the bullshit we have of watching the new GM get rid of all the players the old GM drafted or traded for.

There is talent here, Ego, Sutton, Young, Jeffrey, Bennett, Long, Forte, Marshall, even Jay if he is given a playbook he can deal with. I like Bostic, Sharpton, Jones, Mundy, Fuller. I think Vereen can be a player, Conte can play but I am pretty sure he has had 6 or 7 concussions, he would fill that middle deep safety role for me though.

Just give me someone that wont resign DJ williams, Garza, McClellan, and Briggs. I'm fine to cut Jennings, Slausen and Bushrod if they can show they can be replaced. That Groy dude looks like a beast, just a rookie, I think he can be part of a dominant line.

Not sure what they do at center, I was disappointed Boggs kept getting cut. When they didnt let DLP stick at center when Garza returned it might have questioned his future here. You would have thought Kromer would have liked to have DLP there since he had him in NO.

Just seemed like Emery was more concerned about building his team not the bears team.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Emery is pulling the trigger on firing Trestman after two seasons and isn't being "pushed" into it, I say that is a good sign and he should be retained.

When John Paxson was first hired, my only fear was he would never be able to fire Bill Cartwright after an average season. Things would have to be terrible in an obvious way for him to make that call. I didn't even think Bill Cartwright was a bad coach at the time, I just wasn't sure if Paxson could do it if it had to be done. Well... he did. And he wasn't afraid to make another change when Skiles was plateauing, and he was able to do the same with Vinnie who was mediocre.

What does this have to do with Emery? Trestman was his first coaching hire, and if he's guided by his ego instead of what's best for the team, he may be inclined to prove his right instead of cutting bait. Now, we do have a poopstorm of a situation, so it may be too obvious of a decision, but I think the signal he sent when commenting about the Kromer situation was that Trestman was wrong and he intends to send him packing. Good. Team first. If he hires another coach who turns out to be mediocre, maybe we can trust that he won't wait too long to move on from him as well.

All of this said, Emery still killed us with the Cutler deal. But I can't fault him for hiring Trestman... it was an out of the box swing for the fences hire that didn't work out. But at least he didn't play it safe and go with a retread.

The one piece of advice I'd give Emery is this. I know he had propped up analytics and player development until now with his hires (the Stats Inc guy, Joe Kim, Marc Trestman) trying to be the "smart" team. But this team needs a radical culture change. He needs to find a coach that will make that culture change happen and that has to come before playbook savvy on the list of priorities.

C

cubzzzfanincali

That Groy dude looks like a beast, just a rookie, I think he can be part of a dominant line.

Ryan Groy looked HORRIBLE Monday night. Utterly dreadful. He was the worst player on a bad line playing maybe it's worst game of the season. I don't know what you were looking at, he was a total disaster.

The only thing to Groy's credit is that at least he isn't playing like crap while being locked up in a huge long-term contract...like...say the guy playing to his left. Bushrod was pretty awful himself last night. When I think of "guys who have quit playing", he's #2, only behind Martellus Bennett (did you see how many lackluster jogs Bennett took Monday?).

Garza, well he has sucked for three years running now, I can't believe there is any universe in which he gets re-signed. Hopefully Slauson can come back healthy, we could sure use him back next year. As badly as we need to draft defense, I'm not going to cry if we wind up drafting a beast at almost any position along that line.

C

cubzzzfanincali

If Emery is pulling the trigger on firing Trestman after two seasons and isn't being "pushed" into it, I say that is a good sign and he should be retained.

When John Paxson was first hired, my only fear was he would never be able to fire Bill Cartwright after an average season. Things would have to be terrible in an obvious way for him to make that call. I didn't even think Bill Cartwright was a bad coach at the time, I just wasn't sure if Paxson could do it if it had to be done. Well... he did. And he wasn't afraid to make another change when Skiles was plateauing, and he was able to do the same with Vinnie who was mediocre.

What does this have to do with Emery? Trestman was his first coaching hire, and if he's guided by his ego instead of what's best for the team, he may be inclined to prove his right instead of cutting bait. Now, we do have a poopstorm of a situation, so it may be too obvious of a decision, but I think the signal he sent when commenting about the Kromer situation was that Trestman was wrong and he intends to send him packing. Good. Team first. If he hires another coach who turns out to be mediocre, maybe we can trust that he won't wait too long to move on from him as well.

All of this said, Emery still killed us with the Cutler deal. But I can't fault him for hiring Trestman... it was an out of the box swing for the fences hire that didn't work out. But at least he didn't play it safe and go with a retread.

The one piece of advice I'd give Emery is this. I know he had propped up analytics and player development until now with his hires (the Stats Inc guy, Joe Kim, Marc Trestman) trying to be the "smart" team. But this team needs a radical culture change. He needs to find a coach that will make that culture change happen and that has to come before playbook savvy on the list of priorities.

x2. Great post! I don't really fault him for taking a shot on Trestman, under the circumstances. But at the same time, Emery doesn't really inspire me as having what it takes to pick Trestman's replacement. He is probably naturally inclined toward the "smart guy" type, and that may not serve him well here. I do have a problem with his signings of Cutler and Bushrod. His roster moves have been severely mixed. I'm also not a fan of his drafting. I guess at the end of the day, when I add all that up (no confidence in next coaching choice, mixed free agents, bad drafting), I sit here and I keep thinking "why would we give this guy any more time?" Yes I know 3 years is quick to change a GM. But I just don't see in what aspect he has what it takes.

I don't know, I hope I am wrong. Emery is probably staying, so I hope he follows your advice.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
x2. Great post! I don't really fault him for taking a shot on Trestman, under the circumstances. But at the same time, Emery doesn't really inspire me as having what it takes to pick Trestman's replacement. He is probably naturally inclined toward the "smart guy" type, and that may not serve him well here. I do have a problem with his signings of Cutler and Bushrod. His roster moves have been severely mixed. I'm also not a fan of his drafting. I guess at the end of the day, when I add all that up (no confidence in next coaching choice, mixed free agents, bad drafting), I sit here and I keep thinking "why would we give this guy any more time?" Yes I know 3 years is quick to change a GM. But I just don't see in what aspect he has what it takes.

I don't know, I hope I am wrong. Emery is probably staying, so I hope he follows your advice.
He works hard. I would give him one more chance. See if he learned from his mistakes.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
emery is improving with his draft picks too, at least we arent cutting third and fourth round picks before the season starts. The learning from mistakes is really how you build if you can clean them up.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ryan Groy looked HORRIBLE Monday night. Utterly dreadful. He was the worst player on a bad line playing maybe it's worst game of the season. I don't know what you were looking at, he was a total disaster.

Physically appears to be a beast (hence the looks like). Looks to at least have a chance to match up size wise to the 320 pound tackles in the league if given the chance to hone his craft..

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Physically appears to be a beast (hence the looks like). Looks to at least have a chance to match up size wise to the 320 pound tackles in the league if given the chance to hone his craft..

Kinda like another Alonzo Spellman?