• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Return of Lovie Smith... thoughts?

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure some will look at Cutler's stats (and the rest of the offense) and lament Lovie's departure.

As for me, seeing Lovie in action Sunday brought back memories of poor clock management, questionable challenges (particularly the 4th-down play at the 2-minute warning, where he eventually lost a timeout as well), and conservative play. I appreciate everything Lovie did here. But I'm glad we moved on.

Yup, yes and affirmative. Lovie has a way to go in Tampa if he can't beat this Bear team.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just posted this in another thread. But, as bad as it's been, I DO NOT MISS LOVIE SMITH. Him, or his stupid fucking expressionless face.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just posted this in another thread. But, as bad as it's been, I DO NOT MISS LOVIE SMITH. Him, or his stupid fucking expressionless face.

So, you prefer Trestman's even more expressionless face? lol… Lovie reacts and speaks FAR more than Trestman. Lovie would go ape shit when Devin would return a punt.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Piss poor clock management, asinine challenge flags, conservative playcalling, but honest-to-God, that dumb fucking look on his face at all times....like he's trying to determine the flavors in a fart that's hanging around.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Piss poor clock management, asinine challenge flags, conservative playcalling, but honest-to-God, that dumb fucking look on his face at all times....like he's trying to determine the flavors in a fart that's hanging around.

Lol… I just think he was here so long that you started focusing on it. Trestman looks 10x dumber.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can only recall Lovie getting amped one time. One Hester return is it for me?

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trestman is creepy as hell looking to me, but Lovie looks like a mouth-breather that has lost his puppy or some shit.

I dunno, all I know, is seeing him today brought it all back, and I am still glad we moved on.

Wounded Bear

Pilgrim on a Moutain Top
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand this, but at almost no time were the losses due to the defensive performance. The vast majority of the time, I'm pretty sure it was in spite of a great defensive performance. Like I said, the defense performed very well against GB on a consistent basis. The Bears used to "have Rodgers number" as well as visa versa with Cutler. In 2010, those games were 20-17 (the lone Cutler win), 10-3, and 21-14 (14 offensive points for GB). It's hard to ask for anything more against Rodgers and Green Bay. Surrendering 34 points in three games to one of the league's top offenses and eventual SB champs. 11.3 PPG, and you go 1-2? Near impossible to say the defense didn't perform at a high level.

Just saying that the D did perform well against Rodgers.

In 2010, they also halted a Philadelphia offense in their tracks that some thought were unstoppable. In 2011, I don't really remember a poor performance… a lot of ugly offensive games, but the defense was great. In 2012, all I can think of is Kaep's debut game on Monday night with Campbell starting.

Good point.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm kinda surprised how many of you disliked him so much. I myself blamed JA much more then Lovie. But I agree it was time to move on. I don't like the fact Emory had plans to remove him from day one. They should have waited for a losing season. I think he clearly is a better coach then Tdog. Who here thinks Tdog is the better coach?

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm kinda surprised how many of you disliked him so much. I myself blamed JA much more then Lovie. But I agree it was time to move on. I don't like the fact Emory had plans to remove him from day one. They should have waited for a losing season. I think he clearly is a better coach then Tdog. Who here thinks Tdog is the better coach?

I don't think that Emery did plan to remove him from day one. I just think he saw a coach who had remained stagnant with his team for a long period of time, and he wanted to make changes after saw what happened in 2012.

And no… I backed Lovie until his fall, and then admitted it was time for him to go. But I'm not behind Trestman in the least.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think that Emery did plan to remove him from day one. I just think he saw a coach who had remained stagnant with his team for a long period of time, and he wanted to make changes after saw what happened in 2012.

And no… I backed Lovie until his fall, and then admitted it was time for him to go. But I'm not behind Trestman in the least.
When we drafted Shea, it became obvious Lovie was not part of our future. And that was before the season started. I remember posting Lovie is gone right after that pick. Many said not if he wins and I said either way. Hey every GM wants his own guy at coach.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In all honesty, the same mistake is being made, opposite side of the ball. Lovie was all defense guru, Trestman is all offensive guru. The difference is that Lovie was able to motivate his defense, Trestman is too much of a grabby ass buddy to the offensive players.

Either context, an assistant head coach handling the opposite side of the ball taking the load of what the coach does not know too well is the key to success. Lovie was force fed Martz, Trestman, force fed Tucker.

The lesson the bears learned was Ditka and Ryan. Ryan became bigger than ditka, Ryan got carried off the field by the defense and was gone. Its so hard to find the two guys that are gonna accept to give up the spotlight.

I think that pretty much sums it up. People were behind Lovie more because its always been Bear D first, not the afterthought. You cannot run a greatest show in turf when 8 games are in the elements.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as I despise Tucker, his unit has actually out-played Trestman's.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When we drafted Shea, it became obvious Lovie was not part of our future. And that was before the season started. I remember posting Lovie is gone right after that pick. Many said not if he wins and I said either way. Hey every GM wants his own guy at coach.

Hmm. Interesting, but I would contest that Lovie had a lot to do with the Shea pick.

And I do believe that if Lovie makes the playoffs, he stays. We may be a Green Bay win in Minnesota away from still having him as our head coach.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as I despise Tucker, his unit has actually out-played Trestman's.

Outside of the NE and GB game. I agree 100%.

The last two games, I would argue that the defense has played with a little bit of an attitude. Obviously, it's easy to play with some confidence against TB and MIN though.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In all honesty, the same mistake is being made, opposite side of the ball. Lovie was all defense guru, Trestman is all offensive guru. The difference is that Lovie was able to motivate his defense, Trestman is too much of a grabby ass buddy to the offensive players.

Either context, an assistant head coach handling the opposite side of the ball taking the load of what the coach does not know too well is the key to success. Lovie was force fed Martz, Trestman, force fed Tucker.

The lesson the bears learned was Ditka and Ryan. Ryan became bigger than ditka, Ryan got carried off the field by the defense and was gone. Its so hard to find the two guys that are gonna accept to give up the spotlight.

I think that pretty much sums it up. People were behind Lovie more because its always been Bear D first, not the afterthought. You cannot run a greatest show in turf when 8 games are in the elements.

Buddy was never bigger than mike.......Buddy became famous for 46 defense,which was a helluva defense that offenses couldn't,t figure out for the first couple of years.
Then when it faded out so did Buddy while being a coach for the Eagles....Ditka is still around,while Buddy is obscured somewhere.

And yes you can have a top notch offense with home games being played in the elements.....Tell that to Brady,Manning,Favre and Rodgers.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Buddy was never bigger than mike.......Buddy became famous for 46 defense,which was a helluva defense that offenses couldn't,t figure out for the first couple of years.
Then when it faded out so did Buddy while being a coach for the Eagles....Ditka is still around,while Buddy is obscured somewhere.

And yes you can have a top notch offense with home games being played in the elements.....Tell that to Brady,Manning,Favre and Rodgers.

Exactly. Especially today, when field's are kept up so well and you're given a fresh new warm ball every possession.

Unless it's blizzard weather. It really is an overstated factor. The Packers have had a top passing offense in the elements forever it seems.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmm. Interesting, but I would contest that Lovie had a lot to do with the Shea pick.
And that is the question. Did Lovie want him? was Lovie even involved? To me it seemed he was excluded and had no say or want of Shea. I guess well never know for sure.