• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The real reason for rule changes: law suits

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I just wanted to address something very stupid (as ususal) I heard today on sports radio shows. They were talking about the rule changes about hits to the head & how that may have contributed to Dustn Keller's knee injury from a low hit. I think It was Mark Schlereth or someone else who was on with Freddie Coleman saying the NFL is hypocritical for saying certain hits are illegal but allow the media to show the hit on their sports shows (and profit from it). He was arguing that they made these rule changes because there was this so-called public outcry for the NFL to do more to protect NFL players' heads. There was no such thing.

The rule changes are 100% because the NFL is being sued about concussions, and they're doing what helps them in court. There was no public outcry for these rules to change; in fact, the public had the exact opposite reaction. They have to be able to argue in court now and in the future that they are doing everything possible to protect against concussions. If you want to blame people for the NFL getting wimpier, blame the lawyers who got a bunch of ex-players together to sue the NFL. Just a bunch of punks looking for an easy buck.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
It's clearly about the lawsuits and I'm surprised if anyone thinks otherwise.

There was never and never will be a public outcry for the game to be safer and most of the outcry is they hate the rule changes. Most people are of the feeling that these guys are well compensated for what they do and that they know what they are signing up for.

The NFL needs to get out in front of this and show they are proactively trying to make the game safer when the liability lawsuits come around so they can show the courts "Hey we tried as best we could and these guys were fully aware what they were getting into.

Personally I'm not a fan of most of the rules because they just go overboard. I'm fine with the launching rule as that is a dangerous and unneeded move but I'm not a fan of it being a flag if a player gets anywhere close to the helmet especially when there is 0 intention of helmet to helmet contact.

I just think it's stupid if a defensive player is about to make a clean tackle the offensive player ducks and gets hit in the head and that's a flag and a fine.

The other element in these rule changes is the 18 game schedule. The NFL desperately wants it but it currently knows it can't sell it the players and fans without looking like complete fools. So if they can somehow prove the game is "safer" it's a much easier sell to the players and fans. The fans still won't want it but the NFL knows despite us not wanting it we're going to watch anyways so it's the players they have to convince that it's worth their while to play the two extra games.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as making rule changes to avoid lawsuits, I'm ok with that because I can't expect anyone, even the gigantically rich, to just take the lawsuits. However, they should be making real changes that matter, even if they were only made with lawsuit reduction in mind and no concern for the health and safety of the players (though I, of course, do think as a separate matter they should care). Someone suggested better equipment, field, helmets, etc. they also shouldn't push for more games.

I think the talk for more playoffs and fewer preseason games is just to appear like they are compromising by foregoing the extra playoff game and cutting preseason games for 18 games. They are ok with fewer preseason games because they aren't making the money from them or anticipate making less in the future from them.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The rule changes are 100% because the NFL is being sued about concussions, and they're doing what helps them in court.

Bingo. Time to start boycotting and booing the Hall of Fame and NFL vets. They've have turned their back on you, me, the league that made them rich and famous, and all the players coming up. Traitors. Blame them. Goodell is just doing what he can to avoid the NFL folding as a result of a massive lawsuit.

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just wanted to address something very stupid (as ususal) I heard today on sports radio shows. They were talking about the rule changes about hits to the head & how that may have contributed to Dustn Keller's knee injury from a low hit.

If memory serves, James Harrison predicted exactly this; once helmet to helmet rules changed the NFL would see many more blown out knees because defenders would aim lower to avoid fines or penalties that hurt would the defense. Of course the media hounded Harrison like they always do and called him dirty, but I came to the same inclusion as Harrison when I first heard of the change.

Unless the NFL makes a "Strike Zone" like baseball, I would hate to be a TE or big WR right now...

Last edited by a moderator: