• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Packers needed room for Tretter so cut Sherrod

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mr Thompson decided he would get rid Sherrod instead of someone else on the team to make room for Tretter who is now healthy and ready to play. It looks like Tretter will be an o line backup now.

Packers waive 2011 first-round pick Derek Sherrod | ProFootballTalk

Packers waive 2011 first-round pick Derek Sherrod

The Packers appear to be parting ways with one of their former No. 1 picks.

According to the NFL’s Monday transactions, the club has waived reserve offensive tackle Derek Sherrod, the No. 32 overall selection in the 2011 NFL Draft.

The 25-year-old Sherrod has appeared in just 20 regular season games for Green Bay. In his lone regular season start to date, he got the call at right tackle in place of the injured Bryan Bulaga in the Packers’ Sept. 14 win vs. the Jets.

Sherrod’s career path took an unfortunate turn early because of injury. A broken leg suffered in his rookie season robbed Sherrod of his entire 2012 campaign and the first two months of the 2013 regular season.

A Mississippi State product, Sherrod (6-6, 321) is subject to waivers. He’s slated to be paid $1.275 million in salary this season, per Rotoworld data, making a waiver claim a potential long shot. He is the final year of his deal, as the Packers did not exercise an option to extend his contract this offseason.

The Packers filled Sherrod’s roster spot with center J.C. Tretter, who has been activated from the injured reserve/designated to return list. A 2013 fourth-round pick, Tretter has yet to appear in a regular season game with Green Bay because of ankle and knee injuries.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess Sherrod is now officially a bust.

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel bad for the kid. His broken leg was awful.

Mondio

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel bad for him too, but he never showed anything when he got on the field. Seemed like a good kid, i'm sure he worked, he just didn't have it. maybe it was the injury, maybe not, but it was a pretty bad break and then wasted a year with it not healing correctly only to have surgery all over again. I think it's a good move though. I wouldn't be surprised to see Tretter back on the field soon, either center or at Lang's position, most likely Lang's till he gets back.

And though Linsley has done a decent job, especially for a rookie, I don't think his level of play has been so good he can't be replaced if the think Tretter will do better.

Mondio

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well there goes my idea :)

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel bad for him too, but he never showed anything when he got on the field. Seemed like a good kid, i'm sure he worked, he just didn't have it. maybe it was the injury, maybe not, but it was a pretty bad break and then wasted a year with it not healing correctly only to have surgery all over again. I think it's a good move though. I wouldn't be surprised to see Tretter back on the field soon, either center or at Lang's position, most likely Lang's till he gets back.

And though Linsley has done a decent job, especially for a rookie, I don't think his level of play has been so good he can't be replaced if the think Tretter will do better.

I agree. I think he plays at RG until Lang returns. Then the real decision at C will be decided.