• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

THE PAC12 THREAD v.4

Status
Not open for further replies.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,000.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good news for Trojans fans. Sark will NOT be the main play caller on offense this year. He will have input, of course, especially on 3rd down and in the red zone. OC Clay Helton will be the main decision maker.

Smart move, imo. It's too difficult to be a head coach and call the plays. Pete Carroll tried being his own DC and gave it up for that reason.

USC fans were wanting this all of last season. Word is that it's not being done as part of an attempt to appease fans because of the Drunk Sark incident and has been in the works for awhile. Personally, I don't care if that's the case or not. It was the correct decision.
Wouldn't that just be the potential for good news? I mean do you know if the OC is a good play caller or not? :noidea:

Sark did take high risks in his early time here and blew a few games because of it. He seemed to mellow out a bit on those by his 5th season. I wouldn't say his play calling was one of the things our fans had issues with. It was more the lack of discipline (both for his players on the field and off) that was the reoccurring criticism.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Helton: Coach I think the defense is getting tired we should take a shot at the end zone.
Sark: SHOTS in the end zone? I'm there.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was gone out of the country for a week and missed the martel announcement. What were the comments here? I'm glad he didn't pick USC and yet I'm glad he's out of the conference. I know he's Johnny Football ish but I just couldn't see that 5'10 190 (if that) frame playing QB at SC. Adams is probably close to his height but were talking about a much better athlete.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was gone out of the country for a week and missed the martel announcement. What were the comments here? I'm glad he didn't pick USC and yet I'm glad he's out of the conference. I know he's Johnny Football ish but I just couldn't see that 5'10 190 (if that) frame playing QB at SC. Adams is probably close to his height but were talking about a much better athlete.

Not many comments. He looked ok last night. Not a world beater.

I think he got his 5* rating based on potential and a resemblance to JFF

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not many comments. He looked ok last night. Not a world beater.

I think he got his 5* rating based on potential and a resemblance to JFF

I don't see him growing even an inch more and he will probably pack on a few pounds . I think this is as good as he gets.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems legit to me. I'd rather watch HS football over the Seahags.:thumb:
:agree:

I'll watch them a couple of times though.........

And root against them each time! :heh:

#GoRams!

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good news for Trojans fans. Sark will NOT be the main play caller on offense this year. He will have input, of course, especially on 3rd down and in the red zone. OC Clay Helton will be the main decision maker.

Smart move, imo. It's too difficult to be a head coach and call the plays. Pete Carroll tried being his own DC and gave it up for that reason.

USC fans were wanting this all of last season. Word is that it's not being done as part of an attempt to appease fans because of the Drunk Sark incident and has been in the works for awhile. Personally, I don't care if that's the case or not. It was the correct decision.
:agree:
Maybe he's been humbled by the incident?

Of course it's a good thing for any man to be humbled in our stumbles in life but to me, this is more about Sarks leadership.

As much as I like to trash the Trojans, all in in good fun of course, in truth surrounding yourself with leaders you can trust is a fundamental quality of a great leader. Let's see if he can hold true to his decision. Letting go is the hardest part.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wouldn't that just be the potential for good news? I mean do you know if the OC is a good play caller or not? :noidea:

Sark did take high risks in his early time here and blew a few games because of it. He seemed to mellow out a bit on those by his 5th season. I wouldn't say his play calling was one of the things our fans had issues with. It was more the lack of discipline (both for his players on the field and off) that was the reoccurring criticism.

From what I understand, Helton is supposed to be a pretty good play caller. Many USC fans had issues with his play calling last year. Personally, I didn't think he necessarily did a bad job, but there were times when I felt like his head coaching duties interfered with his play calling and vice versa. Just too hard to do both.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,000.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still, Sark has 6 years experience calling plays as a head coach and how many calling plays as an OC under Carroll?

Who is more qualified?

It may be a potential to be better overall, but that remains to be seen IMO.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still, Sark has 6 years experience calling plays as a head coach and how many calling plays as an OC under Carroll?

Who is more qualified?

It may be a potential to be better overall, but that remains to be seen IMO.

Pete Carroll had years of being a DC (including in the NFL) and said that calling the defense plus his head coaching duties was too much. Imo, Kiffin was every bit as good a play caller, if not better than Sark, but after the first couple of seasons, his play calling really suffered (not to mention everything else), but he was too stubborn to give it up. Sark, at least, is willing to try letting someone else call the plays.

I'm sure that if Sark doesn't like how things are going, he'll go back to calling the plays, but as of now, it's the right decision, imo.

Also, almost forgot, Helton called the plays for the 9 games after Kiffin got fired and did a good job.

FORKWDEVIL

shut up and make me a sandwich
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We love you Herbie! From Tempe! Go SunDevils~ Forkem'

Status
Not open for further replies.