• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

THE PAC12 THREAD v.4

Status
Not open for further replies.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stanford WR Francis Owusu will not play this Friday due to concussion symptoms.

SUBuddha

Stanford Nerd
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 84,965.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still think that was targeting.

WABLTY

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
USC hasn't done shit since Carroll more because of the sanctions than the coaching changes, but they are only just now coming out from under that long ass penalty. That makes the job attractive to a level it hasn't been since Pete left. They are fully back to scholarship levels on top of that recruiting advantage. And it's in LA so it's great weather and the ocean all year long.

If USC is going to make a change it is right up there as one of, if not the, best job openings in the sport. Some might argue LSU being bigger because it's in the SEC and has had more recent success, but no. USC and it's not even close. Nor Oklahoma if those rumors come true and they are in the hunt. The only other program that could come open and challenge for a top candidate is Texas.

It's unlikely USC will be back to Carroll levels of year in, year out dominance anytime soon. Very good, occasionally elite, sure, but it's not like they're destined to always be amazing. We used to have a winning record against SC prior to the Carroll hiring. It's 3-3 since then. CPC was the aberration.

It's a premier job, no doubt, but the more they rotate coaches, the more they're going to fall into a cycle. The next guy needs to be a solid hire and given a very long leash.

Not Neutral

Cross Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I keep seeing the Houston coach being brought up for LSU but "speculation" obviously online but keeps saying he is waiting for offseason for the Texas and SC jobs to open up. Obviously I'm not familiar with SC and stuff but just seems weird that Helton would have his job in jeopardy after losing to 3 solid to great teams. Didn't Carroll have worse losses in his first few seasons than Alabama, Stanford and Utah?
According to some reports, the Houston coach would welcome an offer from USC. USC's main problems was and is coaching. You need someone special to manage the available talent there, someone to take them back where they belong. USC can afford it andUSC needs to make that offer now. Another coach available, now on the shit list, could likely do it too.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to some reports, the Houston coach would welcome an offer from USC. USC's main problems was and is coaching. You need someone special to manage the available talent there, someone to take them back where they belong. USC can afford it andUSC needs to make that offer now. Another coach available, now on the shit list, could likely do it too.

I was just trying to figure out if it was legitimate by SC fans. I get firing guys like Kiffin and Sark getting canned for disgracing the programs with embracing losses and off the field actions. But Helton has losses to 3 quality teams and cutting ties seems premature. SC's problem has and will always be coaching not talent but Carroll's losses were more embarrassing I'm his first two years than Helton's. Also the Pac 10 was massively down at the time Carroll took over. Outside of SC, there what 1 or 2 other good teams in the conference per year? Depth is the best in our conference without question, but depth is also a huge issue going forward when alumnus bases want instant gratification.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's unlikely USC will be back to Carroll levels of year in, year out dominance anytime soon. Very good, occasionally elite, sure, but it's not like they're destined to always be amazing. We used to have a winning record against SC prior to the Carroll hiring. It's 3-3 since then. CPC was the aberration.

It's a premier job given the built in recruiting advantage, no doubt, but the more they rotate coaches, the more they're going to fall into a cycle. The next guy needs to be a solid hire and given a very long leash.

USC fans are like the Nebraska fans who still think Osbourne is going to walk back through the door and they'll be a national championship contender every year. They're living in the past. The Carroll era was an amazing ride, but they were helped greatly by the rest of the PAC being historically bad and providing little to no competition for them. But it's now cemented such unrealistic expectations that it's going to actually work against them and their gonna keep shooting themselves in the foot by it.

And the media only makes it worse for USC since they provide them hysteria levels of coverage no matter how good or bad they are. And when they're bad, they act like its some fucking national tragedy worthy of 24/7 reporting when no one out side of their fanbase gives a rats ass. That its some big loss to the world of college football if USC isn't on top. Talk about vomit time.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,048.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People would say the same about us and Don James regent. USC has a built in recruiting advantage that should always put them one good coach away from a fairly easy path to tops of the conference. Doesn't mean win it every year, but they should pretty much own the south and contend 3 out of every 4 years at the very least.

JonBlaze

KFFL Alum
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CU is playing some good ball. Was hoping you guys would pull it off last week at the big house.

If they figured out how to punt that day it might have happened.

WABLTY

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People would say the same about us and Don James regent. USC has a built in recruiting advantage that should always put them one good coach away from a fairly easy path to tops of the conference. Doesn't mean win it every year, but they should pretty much own the south and contend 3 out of every 4 years at the very least.

Should they though? A strong UCLA should be just as potent as USC. Both the Bruins and ASU have historically given the Trojans problems. Over 100 years I imagine USC will win the South more often than the rest, but 3 out of 4 is fucking crazy talk. 1 out of 3 on average is ambitious.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,048.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should they though? A strong UCLA should be just as potent as USC. Both the Bruins and ASU have historically given the Trojans problems. Over 100 years I imagine USC will win the South more often than the rest, but 3 out of 4 is fucking crazy talk. 1 out of 3 on average is ambitious.
They are one of the very top of the top of the blue blood programs. Their history is inescapable and will ALWAYS attract more of the very elite players. It doesn't always do so now because they have been down, but even then they STILL manage to get some crazy high 4 and 5 star players just because they are USC. UCLA doesn't have a fraction of that history and prestige. Neither does any other school in the Pac. Nor any school west of Texas.

They are by far the easiest then of all of the programs out here to get back to the top with the right circumstances. It's honestly only a matter of time.

WABLTY

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are one of the very top of the top of the blue blood programs. Their history is inescapable and will ALWAYS attract more of the very elite players. It doesn't always do so now because they have been down, but even then they STILL manage to get some crazy high 4 and 5 star players just because they are USC. UCLA doesn't have a fraction of that history and prestige. Neither does any other school in the Pac. Nor any school west of Texas.

They are by far the easiest then of all of the programs out here to get back to the top with the right circumstances. It's honestly only a matter of time.

They're the easiest, but a decent UCLA will always pull a healthy share. In periods where UCLA has a high end coach, they will probably come out on top. To be honest, it's a phenomenon begging to be put on its head. If UCLA gets a Carroll, it'll switch. Hell, if ASU or Utah get a Jimmy Johnson or Switzer, it could flip. I'm still convinced if Kush hadn't punched his punter as we were entering the Pac 10, ASU would be thought of far, far differently, because he wasn't going to dip out in 5 years if he was allowed to stay. When he got shitcanned and was forced to the NFL, he was younger and had more wins than Paterno. There would have been no Larry Marmie to tank us and we beat a national championship SC team right as we came in.

There's always going to be an Oklahoma to the Texas. I think USC's hold on the premium talent in LA is more tenuous than most believe it is. If another one of the South teams starts to really pick up momentum, they'll lose it. At least temporarily.

Last edited:

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,048.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're the easiest, but a decent UCLA will always pull a healthy share. In periods where UCLA has a high end coach, they will probably come out on top. To be honest, it's a phenomenon begging to be put on its head. If UCLA gets a Carroll, it'll switch. Hell, if ASU or Utah get a Jimmy Johnson or Switzer, it could flip. I think USC's hold on the premium talent in LA is more tenuous than most believe it is.
We can agree to disagree. It's not unlike Bama. Auburn was sexy for a minute, LSU had it's moment, a few others in the SEC have given them a run for their money, but it always comes back to Bama with the others flashing in and flashing out. USC is our Bama only without currently having a Saban. Doesn't mean others in the south can find flashes of success or tough coaches, but USC will out last them and reload faster. Just my opinion.

WABLTY

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We can agree to disagree. It's not unlike Bama. Auburn was sexy for a minute, LSU had it's moment, a few others in the SEC have given them a run for their money, but it always comes back to Bama with the others flashing in and flashing out. USC is our Bama only without currently having a Saban. Doesn't mean others in the south can find flashes of success or tough coaches, but USC will out last them and reload faster. Just my opinion.

I acknowledge that USC is the blue blood. As blue as it gets, right up there with ND, Michigan and Bama. I just don't think their current position is inherently ensured. Like you said, agree to disagree. I believe that pecking order can be disrupted.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the loss is to a team in the North. If there's a tiebreaker I could see it possibly costing them, but it certainly doesn't "take them out of the running."

Hell, USC has 2 conference losses and isn't even out of the running to win the South (although we probably have to win out now)>
You're right, if the Bruins were in the North, the head to head loss to Stanford might be enough to keep them out of the CCG, but the Bruins can win out, and by doing so they would put a loss on all South teams and get in by the head to head over any team with a 8-1 Conference record in the South.

Besides, if that dude paid any attention to the South champs, he would know that out of the 5 CCG the South Champs have never gone undefeated in Conference play, and only once has a South team had only one loss. That one loss Devils team, by the way, lost to guess who, Stanford.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well we are screwed with recruiting. Luani was not charged with assault and should get a nice lawsuit against the Pullman police department for defamation since the prosecutor essentially says Luani was a victim.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're the easiest, but a decent UCLA will always pull a healthy share. In periods where UCLA has a high end coach, they will probably come out on top.

Doubtful. Nothing against the Bruins, but USC has been down (in worse position than now) while the Bruins were decent and they couldn't capitalize. USC would have to be down a long time.

I acknowledge that USC is the blue blood. As blue as it gets, right up there with ND, Michigan and Bama. I just don't think their current position is inherently ensured. Like you said, agree to disagree. I believe that pecking order can be disrupted.

It takes a long time to become a blue blood and takes even longer to lose that status. That's why, while the pecking order could be disrupted, it almost never is.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like TF12 wrote, the pecking order can move around some but USC just cares more about football than ucla. Many more kids kids grow up wanting to play for USC than ucla. Part of what fuels other PAC teams when they play USC how much cali players on those teams are told by their coaches you're only here because they didnt want you , they didn't think you were good enough. After the Utah game that was what many cali players from Utah said made them play harder. You never hear USC players say I really want to beat UCLA because they didnt recruit me.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love it that Petersen keeps it as should always be at home. Gold helmets and the purple and gold unis. We'll be rocking them again this Friday.

And point spread has stayed at -3 to 3.5 at most books right now. Vegas is basically calling this a pickum game. Can't wait for Friday.

Status
Not open for further replies.