• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

THE PAC12 THREAD v.4

Status
Not open for further replies.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,048.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the budgets the schools have for recruiting i'd be shocked if they didn't do their own evaluations. There's no excuse. You obviously (unless you're alabama) can't get all high rated players so they will be evaluating plenty of 3*s that they think fit your style of play and can be contributers. But playmakers- impact players are usually on the radar early and they come already numbered. I remember hearing about De Anthony Thomas when he was a freshman in High School and Matt Barkley when he was a sophomore.I'd hate to think how USC would have fared these past few years without Lee, Woods, Cravens,Williams,Adoree, and Juju . All lived up to their hype.
can't wait for the season to start. So many questions. Not one clear cut team better than all others. I still give stanford the edge because they have won the PAC so many times and they still have the best player. If Washington does come out on top in the north I gotta give Peterson tons of credit because just a year or two ago oregon looked like it was unstopable. I still think they have a little gas in the tank and will play stanford and the Huskies tough.
No one knows what UW will do this year. We all expect them to have the top defense and given their recent history there is no reason to question that. The offense is another matter. Even in fall camp I don't think they scored many TD's. Sure, they are going up against the first string D, but other teams in the Pac have defenses that aren't THAT far behind UW's. It's not like they are all running out mid-major level defenses.

The good news is they have 3 games against what shouldn't be terribly challenging defenses to see if they can put it all together on offense. Not sure that even blowing people out by 50 will really tell you how ready they are for Pac12 D's, but at least they have time to work on coming together.

Obviously the bad news is then they go to Zona, home against Ferd, and on the road at Oregon before their bye. That Stanford game will go a long way to telling us where UW's offense is at this year. Sure, their D could end up being good enough to carry an average offense if that's all they have, but you aren't going to win the North with that most likely.

Everyone is just picking Stanford because of McCaffrey and Shaw, just like everyone is down on the Ducks because their D isn't great, new staff on D, their recent struggles at QB (don't even bother Oly lol), and the perception that Helfrich is no Kelly.

All 3 teams are unknown quantities at this point. WSU could disrupt the apple cart as well and Cal should be on the climb even if you don't think they are contenders. To me the North is as wide open as it's been in at least a decade, but likely one of the top 3 will end up running away with it. We just don't know which one at this point.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one knows what UW will do this year. We all expect them to have the top defense and given their recent history there is no reason to question that. The offense is another matter. Even in fall camp I don't think they scored many TD's. Sure, they are going up against the first string D, but other teams in the Pac have defenses that aren't THAT far behind UW's. It's not like they are all running out mid-major level defenses.

The good news is they have 3 games against what shouldn't be terribly challenging defenses to see if they can put it all together on offense. Not sure that even blowing people out by 50 will really tell you how ready they are for Pac12 D's, but at least they have time to work on coming together.

Obviously the bad news is then they go to Zona, home against Ferd, and on the road at Oregon before their bye. That Stanford game will go a long way to telling us where UW's offense is at this year. Sure, their D could end up being good enough to carry an average offense if that's all they have, but you aren't going to win the North with that most likely.

Everyone is just picking Stanford because of McCaffrey and Shaw, just like everyone is down on the Ducks because their D isn't great, new staff on D, their recent struggles at QB (don't even bother Oly lol), and the perception that Helfrich is no Kelly.

All 3 teams are unknown quantities at this point. WSU could disrupt the apple cart as well and Cal should be on the climb even if you don't think they are contenders. To me the North is as wide open as it's been in at least a decade, but likely one of the top 3 will end up running away with it. We just don't know which one at this point.
Im not going to bother with that part but my thing is Helfrich isn't trying to be Kelly. If you look at the numbers he is running the offense quite differently than Kelly did so the comparison of the two just doesn't work.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's set the proper mood for this read with some music...

IRVINE – Former USC star and Raiders quarterback Todd Marinovich was arrested after he was found naked with marijuana in someone else’s backyard, police said Monday.

The 47-year-old was cited for trespassing, possession of a controlled substance, possession of drug paraphernalia and possession of marijuana, Irvine police Commander Mike Hallinan said Monday.

Police received a complaint call

About 9 p.m. Friday, police received a complaint call.

“The caller stated that there was a naked person on Venta Spur Trail,” said Hallinan, referring to a paved bike and walking path that runs along a greenbelt between homes.

IRVINE – Former USC star and Raiders quarterback Todd Marinovich was arrested after he was found naked with marijuana in someone else’s backyard, police said Monday.

The 47-year-old was cited for trespassing, possession of a controlled substance, possession of drug paraphernalia and possession of marijuana, Irvine police Commander Mike Hallinan said Monday.

“The caller stated that there was a naked person on Venta Spur Trail,” said Hallinan, referring to a paved bike and walking path that runs along a greenbelt between homes.

Hallinan said that Marinovich, an Irvine resident, was in a backyard of a home on Bluecoat: “He was carrying the items in a brown bag.”

Marinovich, who rose to stardom while playing quarterback for Mater Dei in the 1980s, went on to play for USC and professionally for the then-Los Angeles Raiders.

In 1989, Marinovich became the first freshman quarterback to start the first game of the season for USC since World War II after starting quarterback Pat O'Hara suffered a leg injury.

He was a Heisman Trophy candidate in 1990 and led the Trojans to victory over Michigan in the Rose Bowl that season.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,048.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, he must have just left TF12's place.
:lol:

Must have been some good shit you gave him man.

All he saw was purple. :dhd:

Last edited:

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's set the proper mood for this read with some music...

Hallinan said that Marinovich, an Irvine resident, was in a backyard of a home on Bluecoat: “He was carrying the items in a brown bag.”

Marinovich, who rose to stardom while playing quarterback for Mater Dei in the 1980s, went on to play for USC and professionally for the then-Los Angeles Raiders.

In 1989, Marinovich became the first freshman quarterback to start the first game of the season for USC since World War II after starting quarterback Pat O'Hara suffered a leg injury.

He was a Heisman Trophy candidate in 1990 and led the Trojans to victory over Michigan in the Rose Bowl that season.
Never been a fan of the Raiders although they are all right, and y'all know how I feel about U$C (Dollar sign is just for them powder blue folks :D)

But I always like Todd. I thought at the time, with his talent and size (I've stood aside the man early on, and I'm 6'3")' that he would do well in the NFL.

So sorry to hear this story, even as a Bruins and Rams fan.

Note, I had to take back a dislike from @RegentDenali b/c I get it. just don't feel the "same way I guess.

SUBuddha

Stanford Nerd
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 84,965.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
11 days until kick off. I expected more at the next level from this man, but this video is worth a watch.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hows he doing at the next level? Who does he play for?
Fair, he's on the outer fringe of making the team.

He is currently with the 9ers and having a decent preseason. He was signed last year by San Fran to their Practice Squad as an UDFA.

SUBuddha

Stanford Nerd
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 84,965.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@socaljim242, @Vitamike is correct. He is in position to make it on special teams and nickel packages right now. Blake Martinez may end up starting for the Packers.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,048.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UW Jr LB Sean Constantine out for the year with a broken ankle.

He was the primary backup for inside LB. Not a starter, but someone who figured to have a fair amount of game time. Worst of the injuries so far this camp.

SUBuddha

Stanford Nerd
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 84,965.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK you fine sports fans, except the Weenies (fuck those guys)......

The 2016 edition of the PAC12 Pickem's is now open.

To join: scroll to the top of the screen and click SportsHoopla Pickem's.

Then click Manage My Pools. Select the PAC12 2016 season. Select Join.

Week 1 is now posted. The only game for the next 2 days is the Weenies vs. the Rainbow Warriors. However, all of the games next week have been rolled into the 1st week.

This season you have until roughly 5 minutes before kickoff for each game to make your picks for the week. I will post spreads no later than 1600 Wednesday PST to allow lines to settle. So for this week, CAL has the line posted already but I will adjust if it changes tomorrow.

Since there are 12 games each week, with a bonus for picking the game of the week correctly 2 times (first week is, obviously, 'Bama vs. U$C). That makes 13 points possible the first few weeks. To compensate, each week will have 13 points possible based on Game of the Week (GOTW) being picked 2 times and teasers once we get into conference play.

If any of you have time to check over week one for start times, home times, etc., it is appreciated. @Vitamike set up the hard work last season, so this season is much easier.

My only question is if we want final score of the GOTW to be part of the comments for a tie breaker again this year?

Post questions in the comments section and good luck you fine folks.

There will be a cash/gift card prize this season (for sure) and epic bragging rights as @mrwallace2ku has flexed from years past.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, he must have just left TF12's place.
:lol:

Must have been some good shit you gave him man.

All he saw was purple. :dhd:

I mean, it was good. But I didn't end up naked in my backyard. Guess he can't handle the good shit. :noidea:

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UW Jr LB Sean Constantine out for the year with a broken ankle.

He was the primary backup for inside LB. Not a starter, but someone who figured to have a fair amount of game time. Worst of the injuries so far this camp.

:gaah:

Status
Not open for further replies.