• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

THE PAC12 THREAD v.4

Status
Not open for further replies.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
USC gets a 2017 verbal commit from 3* Strong side defensive end James Lynch from Texas. He's 6'4: 270 Lbs.
It kinda shows the coaching staff is out looking for talent they think they can work with no matter where and no matter the star ranking.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,048.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well they better be looking at kids no matter the star ranking. In fact, I would hope there isn't a coach on that staff that even looks at site rankings at all. Do your own homework and look for kids that meet your assessments.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All right, seriously, someone join... it's not like a typical fantasy league, it's less involved, kind of like a pickem, except you draft your picks and keep them for the year (or trade/add drop).

Pigskin Fantasy U (fantasy league)
i joined but I may not be available at 6 to draft. i put a few in que though. hopefully my friend will let me use their computer. IM headed over to watch summer slam. that is assuming i dont get called in to work.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ive never done a team fantasy is this like what you get is what you get or is there opportunity to change through the year?

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well they better be looking at kids no matter the star ranking. In fact, I would hope there isn't a coach on that staff that even looks at site rankings at all. Do your own homework and look for kids that meet your assessments.

Obviously you want the staff to evaluate the kids on their own but it's not a surprise Alabamas D line is full of 4 and 5 star ranked kids. Some are easier to evaluate.You're going to fail if you're hoping diamonds in the rough are going to be enough.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,048.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously you want the staff to evaluate the kids on their own but it's not a surprise Alabamas D line is full of 4 and 5 star ranked kids. Some are easier to evaluate.You're going to fail if you're hoping diamonds in the rough are going to be enough.
Every team has those 2*'s that end up studs because these services miss, more or less lots of 3*'s. The coaches on these teams and their networks have much deeper resources than they do. They go watch the games, not just film highlights. They talk to coaches and others around them.

I really don't pay much attention to the star ranking. I'm far more interested in other teams with offers. Tells me more about the kids upside than any ranking service.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i joined but I may not be available at 6 to draft. i put a few in que though. hopefully my friend will let me use their computer. IM headed over to watch summer slam. that is assuming i dont get called in to work.
Right on. And no worries about the draft, I had something come up and my not be able to do much more than check in to make sure it gets going with no issues. Just make sure you set up board and make sure autobdraft is turned on.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every team has those 2*'s that end up studs because these services miss, more or less lots of 3*'s. The coaches on these teams and their networks have much deeper resources than they do. They go watch the games, not just film highlights. They talk to coaches and others around them.

I really don't pay much attention to the star ranking. I'm far more interested in other teams with offers. Tells me more about the kids upside than any ranking service.

Yeah one out of every thousand 2* is a stud and one out of hundred 3* is a stud and one out of every ten four star is a stud and one out of every 3 five star kid is a stud. You can be Boise and hope your 3*s pan out or you can be Michigan -Alabama-Ohio State -Clemson- Florida State and load up on highly rated kids and be in the running for the playoffs . You dont want a team full of those players but you can't have all 2-3 stars and only a few 4-5 and compete for a National Championship. If you're recruiting class is near 3.5 average then you're going to be able to compete. Oregon and TCU and Baylor have been the exceptions with those offenses.

Last edited:

Eco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,396.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have many 'good things' to say about SC but one thing I can't refute, they are if not the best, one of the best traveling teams in the PAC.

Win or lose, they will show up in Jerry World!

I meant more along the lines of I hope for their sake that they don't get smoked by Bama.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,048.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah one out of every thousand 2* is a stud and one out of hundred 3* is a stud and one out of every ten four star is a stud and one out of every 3 five star kid is a stud. You can be Boise and hope your 3*s pan out or you can be Michigan -Alabama-Ohio State -Clemson- Florida State and load up on highly rated kids and be in the running for the playoffs . You dont want a team full of those players but you can't have all 2-3 stars and only a few 4-5 and compete for a National Championship. If you're recruiting class is near 3.5 average then you're going to be able to compete. Oregon and TCU and Baylor have been the exceptions with those offenses.
Again, you are looking at it like a fan, not as the coaches do. Stars mean nothing. That those services are more often generally right in their major groupings doesn't mean they have ANY value what so ever. At least in terms of what the teams do to evaluate talent and make their decisions on who to offer to.

Obviously more 5*'s hit than miss and less 2*'s hit than miss. In general.

I'll still personally not pay much attention to stars and look more at which other teams are interested in the same players. I value those other teams evaluations FAR more than ranking services.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, you are looking at it like a fan, not as the coaches do. Stars mean nothing. That those services are more often generally right in their major groupings doesn't mean they have ANY value what so ever. At least in terms of what the teams do to evaluate talent and make their decisions on who to offer to.

Obviously more 5*'s hit than miss and less 2*'s hit than miss. In general.

I'll still personally not pay much attention to stars and look more at which other teams are interested in the same players. I value those other teams evaluations FAR more than ranking services.

How a player got to be a 5* is not my argument. If it was because scouting systems rated him because of his offers or if hes getting offers because of his rating was high when the scouting systems saw him. I'm just stating a fact that the 4-5 star players are coveted by the Sabans and Meyers and they win. Next time someone beats those teams with 3 star players I will think differently but if your teams is average 3* players you arent going to win a national championship. Now you can be good once every four years if you're a Wisconsin and you have beef and players that stay four years but for the most part you need 4-5 star players to be in the NC conversation year to year. Ohio State lost a ton and they are still ranked higher than PAC teams because those new players are all highly ranked .

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't pay much attention to those star ratings. How many stars a kid is rated at seems to be based on what schools are recruiting him. It seems that a kid will have a certain rating and then as soon as an Alabama, USC, tOSU, etc. start looking at him, the stars increase and if they lose interest, they drop.

I just assume that if USC is looking at a kid and other "bluebloods" are looking at him...he's probably pretty good.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't pay much attention to those star ratings. How many stars a kid is rated at seems to be based on what schools are recruiting him. It seems that a kid will have a certain rating and then as soon as an Alabama, USC, tOSU, etc. start looking at him, the stars increase and if they lose interest, they drop.

I just assume that if USC is looking at a kid and other "bluebloods" are looking at him...he's probably pretty good.

If Ohio State ,Michigan , Alabama and Notre dame is trying to get a kid. He's going to be a 4-5 star kid. If he was a 3 and moved up because of the offers or if he was a 4 star all along is not my argument. I'm just saying he's probably pretty good and you're better off getting more like him than getting 10 lower rated players hoping they are the next Clay mathew

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,048.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:L

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can:L all you want but going down the list of top college players for this year (CBS ranking top 50 impact players) I just checked the top 15 and the breakdown was
7 five star players
6 four star players
2 three star players.
Now considering how many 5 stars there are every given year and how many 4 stars and three stars it's obvious if you want to field a good team you try and sign as many of these as you can. Washingtons highest player was Budda Baker a four star. And the teams with the most of these players? Alabama - Ohio State - Michigan- Tenn- Florida State.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,048.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did :L because I was on my phone reading all that long ass drivel while following my wife with a shopping cart at the winco and didn't feel like typing. Otherwise I would have said that's a lot of wind for nothing. All I did was suggest your coaches should probably not be caring about star ratings on secondary sites and there really is no argument for that. The rest is just you trying to find something to argue about. There is nothing here worth even talking about, more or less arguing.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,048.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And no, I didn't read half of it because I was on my phone and it looked like more of the same non related BS. So excuse me if you actually did say yes, you hope the coaches are doing their own evaluations which was all I was talking about. :lol:

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And no, I didn't read half of it because I was on my phone and it looked like more of the same non related BS. So excuse me if you actually did say yes, you hope the coaches are doing their own evaluations which was all I was talking about. :lol:

With the budgets the schools have for recruiting i'd be shocked if they didn't do their own evaluations. There's no excuse. You obviously (unless you're alabama) can't get all high rated players so they will be evaluating plenty of 3*s that they think fit your style of play and can be contributers. But playmakers- impact players are usually on the radar early and they come already numbered. I remember hearing about De Anthony Thomas when he was a freshman in High School and Matt Barkley when he was a sophomore.I'd hate to think how USC would have fared these past few years without Lee, Woods, Cravens,Williams,Adoree, and Juju . All lived up to their hype.
can't wait for the season to start. So many questions. Not one clear cut team better than all others. I still give stanford the edge because they have won the PAC so many times and they still have the best player. If Washington does come out on top in the north I gotta give Peterson tons of credit because just a year or two ago oregon looked like it was unstopable. I still think they have a little gas in the tank and will play stanford and the Huskies tough.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Colorado WR Juwann Winfree out for season ACL. projected to start by Steele so would at the very least been a contributor

Status
Not open for further replies.