• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

THE PAC12 THREAD v.4

Status
Not open for further replies.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one said they just appeared. You can not contact players at other schools. You think Oregon is going to do so and risk something this soon after Lyles? If Oregon recruited him at all it was after he announced his intentions to transfer and that was not quite a while before it was known publically of his interest in Oregon.

So back to back starting option FCS QBs with a year of eligibility and Oregon just waited to get word they were interested in them.Yeah OK. Be right back I gotta feed my unicorn.
You're in the top ten and get a new starter at QB without a lot of negotiations going on behind the scenes? Did they talk to him personally? Probably not but you'd be really naive not to think someone in his camp didn't set this up.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
being on campus 2 weeks has nothing to do with his obvious talent. we all saw what he was capable of while he was at EWU and against Pac 12 teams Oregon State and Washington.

Or he was told he'd be the starter if he transferred. Just like this new kid.

Not Neutral

Cross Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[
I don't recall seeing any other Pac12 team bringing in 5th year grad students at QB in back to back years. I'm not sure UW has ever brought one in. Not that I recall. Hell, it's been ages since they even brought in a JC transfer although they probably should have a couple of years ago when all they had was Miles.

Is that an argument for or against bringing in transfers?

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is that an argument for or against bringing in transfers?
:wtf:

Is this topic a bit too much for you? :noidea:

Nothing wrong with getting transfer students, but when you are supposed to be a playoff caliber team and in back to back years can't rely on your own in-house development at the most important position in football you might be having some problems. Being able to bring up your own kids from true freshmen and allowing them a year or two to learn and master your system is generally much preferred to getting a hired gun for one year. Much easier to take running backs or other skill players as it doesn't take nearly as much time to master their roles in the offense.

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Pac was a car in the early years Washington and Cal drove it often , in the 20s 30s 40s USc Cal Stanford mostly drove it with an occasional trip to the store by UCLA Oregon State and Washington State. in the 50s and 60s it was Washington, USC , Cal , Oregon State and Stanford taking turns . Oh Oregon did take it to fill up the tank a couple of times but always had to take someone with them. In the 70s it was mostly parked at USCs house with Stanford , Washington , UCLA taking it out for long drives and Arizona took it to get washed. In the 80s Washington and UCLA took turns parking it at their house and took it out all the time and USC and Arizona state taking it around the block a few times. in the 90s is was mostly Washington car with Washington State, UCLA, Stanford USC Arizona getting to drive it around the block heck even Oregon drove it once. in the 2000s Oregon took it out handed the keys to USC and USC drove it for the longest time anyone could remember ran out of gas and gave the keys back to Oregon whos had it in their garage but Stanford keeps prying up the garage door and taking it. I think Stanford owns it right now.
All I know is, the PAC is "the conference of champions". Merry Christmas everyone.:suds:

Not Neutral

Cross Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Is this topic a bit too much for you? :noidea:

Nothing wrong with getting transfer students, but when you are supposed to be a playoff caliber team and in back to back years can't rely on your own in-house development at the most important position in football you might be having some problems. Being able to bring up your own kids from true freshmen and allowing them a year or two to learn and master your system is generally much preferred to getting a hired gun for one year. Much easier to take running backs or other skill players as it doesn't take nearly as much time to master their roles in the offense.

All that bull is just your biased opinion and obviously more than a little jealousy. What I see in this situation is that Oregon does/did what they need to do to be a winner but apparently it is your position that this is something that legitimate teams do not do. What exactly is wrong with getting a "hired gun" for one year if that's what the team situation calls for? As posted earlier, it is the opinion of you and yours that Oregon would have been lucky to win six without last years transfer but ended #2 in the PAC. Sort of vindicates that move doesn't it? Because its easier to take running backs or other skill players, that doesn't help much when you need a QB. Developing your own players is "much preferred"? You mean such a player as Marcus Mariota?

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are kind of slow aren't you NN? :L

It couldn't have been made easier for you and yet it went WAY over your head.

Not Neutral

Cross Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are kind of slow aren't you NN? :L

It couldn't have been made easier for you and yet it went WAY over your head.

Yeah, you're way too smart for me, Wiz. And the Ducks had a commitment from Johnny Football himself. Since they were in the same class, that saved you from 4 more years of misery.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe not. but he did come in. How is questioning this any different than saying if not for his broken finger Oregon would have been in the playoff which everyone here has been giving Oregon fans shit for saying?
Because the point of the topic is how desparately oregon needed him...the excuse that they'd be in the playoff if he never broke his finger also shows how much they needed him...

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All that bull is just your biased opinion and obviously more than a little jealousy. What I see in this situation is that Oregon does/did what they need to do to be a winner but apparently it is your position that this is something that legitimate teams do not do. What exactly is wrong with getting a "hired gun" for one year if that's what the team situation calls for? As posted earlier, it is the opinion of you and yours that Oregon would have been lucky to win six without last years transfer but ended #2 in the PAC. Sort of vindicates that move doesn't it? Because its easier to take running backs or other skill players, that doesn't help much when you need a QB. Developing your own players is "much preferred"? You mean such a player as Marcus Mariota?

You're a little lost. We all know Adams and this new QB are hired guns. The only one not admitting it is the Duck fan who seems to think they just fell out of the sky. As for them developing a QB like Mariota they have told us for a few years now about how they had a couple of Marcus 2.0s in the fold but they obviously didn't or they wouldn't need a hired gun.
The question of how ethical it is another question in itself. I just can't see Cal, Stanford, Washington , UCLA, USC doing that with that position. Oregon has more of it's identity wrapped up in the success of it's football program than pretty much every other team in the PAC. USC is going to play Bama in it's opener next year with a young QB whos never started a game. That's how college football is supposed to work.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other teams get JC transfers all the time. If you need one at QB to lead your team then you didn't recruit well. It is obviously much better to build up a kid from inside the program to have them to lead your team for at least 2-3 full seasons after sitting at least a year. You get the most out of them.

Does that mean you can't find success with a one and done? No. Who ever suggested that? All I said it is proves there are issues at Oregon that they needed it at all. And now they are going back to that same well again. This can't be as ideal as going the normal route. It is riskier. It is less likely to give them long term success. Who in the world would argue that? What top program do you see employ this year after year? None. For a reason.

TheLonestarDUCK

Sleep is only for the tired
Hoopla Cash
$ 36,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other teams get JC transfers all the time. If you need one at QB to lead your team then you didn't recruit well. It is obviously much better to build up a kid from inside the program to have them to lead your team for at least 2-3 full seasons after sitting at least a year. You get the most out of them.

Does that mean you can't find success with a one and done? No. Who ever suggested that? All I said it is proves there are issues at Oregon that they needed it at all. And now they are going back to that same well again. This can't be as ideal as going the normal route. It is riskier. It is less likely to give them long term success. Who in the world would argue that? What top program do you see employ this year after year? None. For a reason.

No argument here - hopefully UO can break this transfer stuff and recruit and groom QB's. In the meantime hope this kid works out and provides another double digit win year.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No argument here - hopefully UO can break this transfer stuff and recruit and groom QB's. In the meantime hope this kid works out and provides another double digit win year.
See, this guy gets it. It's not some major insult to suggest rent a QB's isn't ideal even if it worked out fine this year.

CCF151

Low flying fruit bat!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If this kid comes in and has no competition as is fairly obviously handed the job I will agree to this. If he is seriously challenged and wins or if one of the other kids take the spot I'll have to say you are wrong, but we won't know anything until next fall .

Oh and, Merry Christmas, you filthy animals!

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this kid comes in and has no competition as is fairly obviously handed the job I will agree to this. If he is seriously challenged and wins or if one of the other kids take the spot I'll have to say you are wrong, but we won't know anything until next fall .

Oh and, Merry Christmas, you filthy animals!
I think you are confusing me with jim. I really don't care who contacted who, it has nothing to do with my point. All I said is if you have the need in back to back years to put an outside grad transfer in at QB you have some issues in your program. Even if this kid works out it doesn't mean that this is more ideal than growing your own like every other program in the country. Bringing in JC transfers to fill in depth after kids leave is normal. Bringing in grad transfers in back to back years that end up starters? Not so much.

CCF151

Low flying fruit bat!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you are confusing me with jim. I really don't care who contacted who, it has nothing to do with my point. All I said is if you have the need in back to back years to put an outside grad transfer in at QB you have some issues in your program. Even if this kid works out it doesn't mean that this is more ideal than growing your own like every other program in the country. Bringing in JC transfers to fill in depth after kids leave is normal. Bringing in grad transfers in back to back years that end up starters? Not so much.
Like I said, IF he is just handed the job, I agree. If he is pushed seriously or beaten I don't think it would say the Ducks NEEDED him, just an opportunity they took that could possibly improve the team's chances.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said, IF he is just handed the job, I agree. If he is pushed seriously or beaten I don't think it would say the Ducks NEEDED him, just an opportunity they took that could possibly improve the team's chances.
If he wins the job it shows they didn't have anyone at his level from inside the program which is what I said. So yeah, it would very much mean you needed him. If he doesn't make it as starter then he's just another transfer for depth and your home grown QB's are coming along. You have my 'right' or 'wrong' exactly backward.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Let's get real here He's a 5th year senior QB he's there because they think they need him. He's not going there to be in a normal QB competition as if he was a freshman. He's there to be the starter unless he can't pass a math test,tears up his ACL or gets caught robbing a liquor store in the spring. So unless his arm falls off he's been told the job is his or he wouldn't be there. They have years of tape on him they know what he can do just like they knew what Adams was.

CCF151

Low flying fruit bat!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's get real here He's a 5th year senior QB he's there because they think they need him. He's not going there to be in a normal QB competition as if he was a freshman. He's there to be the starter unless he can't pass a math test,tears up his ACL or gets caught robbing a liquor store in the spring. So unless his arm falls off he's been told the job is his or he wouldn't be there. They have years of tape on him they know what he can do just like they knew what Adams was.
You can keep believing that if you want. Won't change my perspective unless there is zero competition when he arrives.

Status
Not open for further replies.