• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

THE PAC 12 THREAD v.5

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, he gave:
$100m for the basketball arena
$30m + another $5m on Autzen stadium
$42m for that tutoring and overall athletics facility
$68m for football training facility

But none of that actually impacts any of Oregon's results on the field/court/etc.

I mean come on Oly. You are really reaching for this. Especially when literally everyone has said there is nothing wrong with him doing that or it resulting in an unfair advantage over other Pac schools. Everyone would take a sugar daddy in a heartbeat.
I just don't see his impact on Track, cross country, tennis, golf, softball, baseball, acro and tumbling, volleyball, lacrosse, and soccer.
I mean I guess the volleyball team uses knight arena also.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't see his impact on Track, cross country, tennis, golf, softball, baseball, acro and tumbling, volleyball, lacrosse, and soccer.
I mean I guess the volleyball team uses knight arena also.
Those numbers do not include the money he has donated to other areas of the campus as well. It all adds up. Over 40 million for a general student athlete facility sure does look like even they believe it had an impact, more or less all of the rest of the campus that might have impact. Knowing there is a major sugar daddy with pen in hand that has helped out so many sports already can't hurt getting a kid of any sport to come aboard. They know if there are any areas in their own sport that need an upgrade that they have a higher potential for that to come than most other schools.

And again, his spending money on those things presumably leaves money the school would have otherwise had to have spent on some of it for other things that also impact student athletes. It has a cascading impact.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he isn't even the only big donator either

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he isn't even the only big donator either
Added up he has already spent and/or pledged almost $800m to that university. I doubt you have had anything close to even half of that from all other donors combined over the last 20 years.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously still debating this? lol

"Phil Knight remembers drinking adult beverages with Mike Bellotti, then head coach of the University of Oregon football team, at a scheduled victory party that felt more like a wake.

Colorado had just buried the Ducks 38-6 in the 1996 Cotton Bowl, and Knight, the founder and chairman of Nike who ran track for Oregon in the late 1950s, had a question for Bellotti.

"What do you need to get the program to the next level?" he asked.

An indoor practice facility, Bellotti replied.

So Knight kicked in almost $10 million to build a facility that protected the Ducks from the elements in rainy Eugene."It's kind of grown from there," Knight told USA TODAY Sports in an exclusive interview, adding that he grew intrigued with the notion of helping the program in 1995"

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously still debating this? lol

"Phil Knight remembers drinking adult beverages with Mike Bellotti, then head coach of the University of Oregon football team, at a scheduled victory party that felt more like a wake.

Colorado had just buried the Ducks 38-6 in the 1996 Cotton Bowl, and Knight, the founder and chairman of Nike who ran track for Oregon in the late 1950s, had a question for Bellotti.

An indoor practice facility, Bellotti replied.

So Knight kicked in almost $10 million to build a facility that protected the Ducks from the elements in rainy Eugene."It's kind of grown from there," Knight told USA TODAY Sports in an exclusive interview, adding that he grew intrigued with the notion of helping the program in 1995"
we weren't talking about football

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We were till you started saying but what about the other sports. You know, some of the ones who use indoor facilities.
no your quote was about knights impact on the overall athletic department. so you started the conversation about other sports.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no your quote was about knights impact on the overall athletic department. so you started the conversation about other sports.
I'm sure Football and Basketball weight heavily on those overall rankings and there is no doubt at all that Knight bought and paid for the advancements of both, on top of the already mentioned amenities and improvements to non sports related areas of the school that might also impact a decision to go there.

I mean football and basketball are indeed sports and count against that.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Nike/Phil the major reason Oregon sports especially football are able to attract the athletes they werent able to before?
It's very obvious to anyone not UO fan.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh it's not all duck fans I'm sure.

I'd bet if you asked Mamba he'd say hell yeah Knight brought them to the promised land and say we are all jelly.

Oly just has some weird issue on this.

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QBs in the PAC are only as good as the O-line in front of them…i mean, IF ya don't have a running game then ya sure in the hell won't have anytime pocket passing time to find your 2nd or 3rd options. Yeah Wazzoo throws a ton and their story is the exception.

always starts and finishes in the trenches, both on the O-side and the D-side.

TheLonestarDUCK

Sleep is only for the tired
Hoopla Cash
$ 36,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oly, Oly, Oly - luv ya man - but of course Phil Knights money has massively improved the entire athletic dept. There are a ton of examples one that comes to mind - Baseball reinstated at Oregon - what happens - state of the art baseball complex with high end proven coach hired. There has been multiple threads regarding the rise of UO, it began in 1989 Independence Bowl win - Phil got a taste of it and has donated his personal (Nike) money ever since. Thus the rise in all sports.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NdNGbXC.gif

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, after ESPN fired all of those employees the Pac12 blog on their site has turned to shit.

I mean, sure it's the off season so maybe it will get better? But damn. Not much happening and what posts there are up there are all insider crap and nothing else worth reading outside of maybe that piece on Tuttle two weeks ago. They killed the only halfway redeeming thing on that entire site.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not a Rams fan, but I live in SoCal so I hear about them on sports talk radio. Jared Goff has one season in the NFL and there is already talk that if he doesn't show enough improvement this season, they will move on from him.
No way will the Rams move on if he struggles this year. (I don't think he struggles though, as I think the problem was more to do with Fishers' lack of coaching talent he put in place on the offensive side of the ball, especially compared to all the tenured coaching talent they have now)

If they gave Greg Robinson 3 seasons to prove himself and a partial off season, who was a No. 2 pick overall that they acquired in the the RGII trade, than they will give Goff, who they traded a lot of draft capital to move up to No. 1 overall, at least three years before thinking of moving on.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd bet if you asked Mamba he'd say hell yeah Knight brought them to the promised land and say we are all jelly.
Who the hell is this Mamba guy you refer to? :noidea:

Anywho, Lonestar made your point. :nod:

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously has to work more on his percentage outside of a clean pocket, but this is pretty much what we already knew about him. Better get him moving or he's deadly.

Also, notice Herbert in clean pockets. He's going to a handful for Pac defenses this year for sure.