• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Original Freak

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just because I'm a real oldtimer and I found a home (this board) that allows me to talk about baseball -

I love Timmeh BUT for me this is the original Freak. Look though his profile and statistics. Look at his physical size! If Timmeh can folow in this player's footsteps - I would be very pleased for the next million years!

Ron Guidry Statistics and History - Baseball-Reference.com

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Just because I'm a real oldtimer and I found a home (this board) that allows me to talk about baseball -

I love Timmeh BUT for me this is the original Freak. Look though his profile and statistics. Look at his physical size! If Timmeh can folow in this player's footsteps - I would be very pleased for the next million years!

Ron Guidry Statistics and History - Baseball-Reference.com

I was a huge Ron Guidry fan. And, yeah, if Timmy can last as long as Guidry that would be fantastic. And the 5'11" listed for Guidry is at least two inches to tall (maybe they measured him in spikes). And note: Guidry was throwing a lot more innings than Timmy.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn.....I knew/heard of Guidry and how small he was for being so dominant. That said, the 1978 year is absolutely disgusting. It's like Mickey Mouse numbers.....those are video game numbers.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just knew that you guys would appreciate something like this. Many youngsters talk about Timmeh as being a unique product. They talk about the wear and tear on his arm relative to his size.
As soon as I saw Timmeh the first time I immediately related to Guidry. I lived in NY during Guidry's time in the majors. Never a NYY fan (hated them actually) but was well aware of Guidry. He was amazing and as Filo stated - his 1978 numbers were like video game numbers - 273 innings pitched with a 1.73ERA
I also agree that 5'11" is on the high side. I also remember him being listed at 5'9" in some of the sporting magazines of that time.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
BTW, back last year when NN was pants-shitting about the stupidity of letting timmy start a "meaningless" game (because the Giants needed to protect such a small guy), I made two points. There is no true correlation to size and longevity at the ML level, and throwing 200+ innings was essential to get Timmy used to throwing a lot of innings - in case the Giants went deep into the playoffs - you want to avoid a big uptick in innings pitched year over year.

And Ron Guidry was brought up by someone (mays_fan, I think) as a small pitcher who broke down. I replied that Ron Guidry had a long and effective career - longer than most pitchers.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I just knew that you guys would appreciate something like this. Many youngsters talk about Timmeh as being a unique product. They talk about the wear and tear on his arm relative to his size.
As soon as I saw Timmeh the first time I immediately related to Guidry. I lived in NY during Guidry's time in the majors. Never a NYY fan (hated them actually) but was well aware of Guidry. He was amazing and as Filo stated - his 1978 numbers were like video game numbers - 273 innings pitched with a 1.73ERA
I also agree that 5'11" is on the high side. I also remember him being listed at 5'9" in some of the sporting magazines of that time.

Back in those days there wasn't much national coverage, but I always made a point to watch a national broadcast whenever Guidry was pitching.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW, back last year when NN was pants-shitting about the stupidity of letting timmy start a "meaningless" game (because the Giants needed to protect such a small guy), I made two points. There is no true correlation to size and longevity at the ML level, and throwing 200+ innings was essential to get Timmy used to throwing a lot of innings - in case the Giants went deep into the playoffs - you want to avoid a big uptick in innings pitched year over year.

And Ron Guidry was brought up by someone (mays_fan, I think) as a small pitcher who broke down. I replied that Ron Guidry had a long and effective career - longer than most pitchers.

I remember that, lol.....let's see what I can dig up.....

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My first glove was a Ron Guidry model. Great piece of leather. Other than that, yeah, what you guys said. I was surprised when Tim McCarver said Timmy reminds him of Juan Marichal. Sure there are similarities in that they are both great, Giant pitchers, but when Joe Buck asked the question I immediately said, "Ron Guidry," and my dad nodded. Then again, McCarver is an idiot. I mean, "But fuck that guy. Raptor Jesus for the Giants win!"

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My first glove was a Ron Guidry model. Great piece of leather. Other than that, yeah, what you guys said. I was surprised when Tim McCarver said Timmy reminds him of Juan Marichal. Sure there are similarities in that they are both great, Giant pitchers, but when Joe Buck asked the question I immediately said, "Ron Guidry," and my dad nodded. Then again, McCarver is an idiot. I mean, "But fuck that guy. Raptor Jesus for the Giants win!"

Always the best way to win an argument.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I think what McCarver is referring to is the way timmy brings the ball from down low and then comes over the top. Or maybe he is referring to Timmy becoming Marichal-like in his use and command of 4+ pitches.

If Marchal had a longer stride there'd be some greater similarities.

Last edited by a moderator:

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that was another thread killed by AGS's intrusion.

Can't find it mang. A lot of deleted threads back there. I can't even find the GDT's for Timmays last 3 starts of 2009.....

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Even though timmy and guidry are similar in size, i think they're pretty different as pitchers - and diverging. Guidry was a slider-fastball pitcher that just over powered hitters. Timmy was a 12-6 curve-fastball pitcher that over powered hitters his first year - but since then he's really diverged from that and become an artist out there.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Can't find it mang. A lot of deleted threads back there. I can't even find the GDT's for Timmays last 3 starts of 2009.....

I think i bumped it after the giants made the play-offs - saying something like "thank god timmy maintained his arm strength last year."

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think i bumped it after the giants made the play-offs - saying something like "thank god timmy maintained his arm strength last year."

Gotcha. Well.....that might make it easier.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think what McCarver is referring to is the way timmy brings the ball from down low and then comes over the top. Or maybe he is referring to Timmy becoming Marichal-like in his use and command of 4+ pitches.

If Marchal had a longer stride there'd be some greater similarities.

Yeah. He did mention that it was because of how low they both bring the ball down. It just seemed more logical when talking about a guy who is 5'10" and throws in the mid to low 90s with accuracy consistently to compare him to Ron Guidry. The extra two inches and twenty pounds that Marichal had on Timmy makes a big difference between a guy that you expect to throw in the mid-90s and another guy seemingly defying the laws of physics and genetics. I like the command of 4+ pitches similarity. McCarver didn't mention that, and I don't think Joe Buck cares enough to add to any discussion about sports.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. He did mention that it was because of how low they both bring the ball down. It just seemed more logical when talking about a guy who is 5'10" and throws in the mid to low 90s with accuracy consistently to compare him to Ron Guidry. The extra two inches and twenty pounds that Marichal had on Timmy makes a big difference between a guy that you expect to throw in the mid-90s and another guy seemingly defying the laws of physics and genetics. I like the command of 4+ pitches similarity. McCarver didn't mention that, and I don't think Joe Buck cares enough to add to any discussion about sports.[/QUOTE]

LOL. He really is teh suck. McCarver sucks too, but at least he knows a little about baseball. He's just terrible and annoying in how he delivers it.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
My biggest problem with McCarver is he thinks we're all 8 year olds and he has to dumb everything down to that level, after that it's the endless tangential subjects he brings up, and after that it's the terrible terrible puns. From a pure baseball perspective, McCarver knows his stuff, but he lacks specific knowledge of individual players and teams. He's lazy, and he's commenting for the lowest form of fan.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL. He really is teh suck. McCarver sucks too, but at least he knows a little about baseball. He's just terrible and annoying in how he delivers it.

Yeah. I read an interview with Joe Buck about three years ago where he said that he doesn't even watch sports in his free time and only does research for whatever game he is covering that week the day before it's played. He said he would much rather be watching a reality TV show with his family.

Now, I'm all for family time. I'm 28, and I still have dinner with my parents at least once a week. Family time is the only thing that makes positive additions to society. But reality TV? What does Joe think sports are? Aren't they the original reality series? His dad was arguably the greatest baseball broadcaster of all time. I'm sure he got to share some pretty amazing moments with his family that centered around sports. He might just be burned out on them for that reason, and I can understand that. Or it's hard for him because it's a constant reminder of the loss of his father. Either way, if you don't love sports, Joe Buck, join Entertainment Tonight or Access Hollywood, and let someone with some passion call the World Series. You can keep calling football games, but only for the Cowboys. I know you have a hard-on for Troy Aikman.

Of course a lot of that was meant to just be a funny rant, but in all honesty, that article changed my perception of him forever. Really? Reality fucking TV?

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yeah. He did mention that it was because of how low they both bring the ball down. It just seemed more logical when talking about a guy who is 5'10" and throws in the mid to low 90s with accuracy consistently to compare him to Ron Guidry. The extra two inches and twenty pounds that Marichal had on Timmy makes a big difference between a guy that you expect to throw in the mid-90s and another guy seemingly defying the laws of physics and genetics. I like the command of 4+ pitches similarity. McCarver didn't mention that, and I don't think Joe Buck cares enough to add to any discussion about sports.

I'm sure McCarver still has nightmares about facing guys like Marichal, and he probably never faced Guidry. So he's was going for the "enchanter" comparison more than anything else.