• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The option play

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not for me...I think Votto not being on the field WAS the biggest reason the Reds flopped. Im also rigid about that because I really believe he COULD have played most of last year. More to the story there, but I'm hopeful he's ready to go back to work this year.

I was thinking about the LF thing. There are probably more options than we know about- beyond Morse, who is just a younger Ludwick, IMO, and Aoki...Alex Rios is a likely 1-2 year offer guy at a salary not much more than Luddy got last year. Tori Hunter is 39, but he is a Cincinnati native, and he still plays the OF like he's 29. I'd rather give him a 1 year shot than Ludwick. Hell, Asdrubal Cabrera could be signed to play 3b, moving Frazier to LF...would also give a nice backup at SS/2b just in case. He IS only 29, and coming off 2 consecutive declining years wouldn't be expensive.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bingo on moving Frazier to LF -- as an option.
I said earlier that the Reds do have some options if they chose to look that way.
Frazier is easily our best 3B, and I'd rather use him there than Negron.
But Negron is a better 3B than Schumaker is a LF at this point. Negron is really a AAAA ballplayer, though.

I hear ya on the Votto thing, and yeah ... him not being in there hurt the team. But since he wasn't in there, the guys who were showed they weren't very good. I like Pena, but let's fuckin' be real ... he should get 12 at-bats a week, tops.

Aoki smells more like a Red with each passing day.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A better option than Ludwick probably. Im not sure if Aoki at whatever he costs would be better than Yorman Rodriguez and what he costs though. Time may tell.

Another subject- I think deGrom winning the NL ROY over Hamilton is a farce. He was 9-6. No where bear a full season start total. Hamilton played great D and had over 50 SB. Before you scoff at hitting .250- remember Pete Rose only hit in the .260's his ROY season.

Although I agree any Mets pitcher 3 games over .500 deserves an award, I just think the BBWAA outdid themselves on this one. If the media sucks, the NYC media is the vacuum of space. The Yankees implosion has contributed to the massive media addiction to forwarding positive spin the the biggest sewer in the US. The Knicks and Nets blow, the Jets ditto. The football Giants and the Mets are going to be next in line for the undying love of optimism in NY sports I guess.

IMO, the Phillies and Marlins have done more to keep the miserable Mets out of the cellar than the Mets have. I've despised the Mets since that fag Bud Harrelson tried to hit Pete with his purse after the broken DP.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I started hearing the buzz about DeGrom about the middle of September and the ongoing blather from the booth about how Hamilton was basically not playing well enough to earn the award.
The kid did run out of gas, but for all the right reasons, he's still the most exciting player in the league now with less than 2 years in the bigs.
Seems like the scribes are all over the FA market, wondering how all these guys would fit in a Yankees uniform. Today, I read where A-Rod might not be the 3B this year and that the Reds are "talking to rival GMs" about trading a pitcher.
I am OK with news but inventing it really sucks. What bothers me is that the millions of jerkoff fans who actually believe this stuff.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's drivel 90 % of the time. Hamiltons finish was no worse than deGrom's start- which by the way was way too few of them to take an award away from an everyday lineup rookie that not only played a full season of gold glove ( that he got hosed out of by another Met) D, but stole 58 bases in his spare time, almost accidentally. The Yankees suck, so Selig's minions are obligated to spin for the Mets, one of the worst run organizations with large revenue stream since the Cubs.