• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

THE OFFICIAL UNOFFICIAL STEELERS BS THREAD..PART 15

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a valid point, but I still think the coaching in the 1st quarter is far worse than the play by the personnel. Just my opinion.

Our coaches are a bunch of stubborn mules. They don't make changes until they've been taken out to pasture multiple times.

But, and not by any means am I taking the Tomlin route, if they executed better the play calls shouldn't be a factor.
Yes, the play calling sucks, but if they could make a first down or the D could 3 and out teams once in a while I think all around it would work out better.

It just seems they run simple plays because they are so out of sync early in the year, due to very little play time in preseason.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But, and not by any means am I taking the Tomlin route, if they executed better the play calls shouldn't be a factor.
Yes, the play calling sucks, but if they could make a first down or the D could 3 and out teams once in a while I think all around it would work out better.

It just seems they run simple plays because they are so out of sync early in the year, due to very little play time in preseason.
No doubt execution helps. I just want to see the coaches put the players in a better position to succeed (as Shazier said in that tweet even if he wasn't talking about PIT). Especially for such a raw group with average "above the neck" skills. They clearly aren't the cerebral players they need to simply rely on better execution.

Yea the simplicity makes the team look lethargic & out of sync. As I've said before, there's plenty of blame to throw around to both coaches & players. But the fact remains, each year with some level of roster turnover & youth injection, we get the exact same results. This team has been doing this for what feels like a decade now. That amount of roster turnover & the same level of play should produce different results if it were simply execution. But that also could point towards drafting & Colbert. Hard to pinpoint exactly where the shitshow is being produced, but I think you catch my drift.

Whatever it is... This amount of talent should be able to produce better results.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a valid point, but I still think the coaching in the 1st quarter is far worse than the play by the personnel. Just my opinion.

Our coaches are a bunch of stubborn mules. They don't make changes until they've been taken out to pasture multiple times.

So far...the WTF game to me was the KC game...everyone is now seeing that CLE is no longer an automatic W...BAL? yeah, they always seem to lack creative OFC wrinkles against them and that's kinda what you need to beat them at their place. The DEF played not great, but well enough to win I thought.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt execution helps. I just want to see the coaches put the players in a better position to succeed (as Shazier said in that tweet even if he wasn't talking about PIT). Especially for such a raw group with average "above the neck" skills. They clearly aren't the cerebral players they need to simply rely on better execution.

Yea the simplicity makes the team look lethargic & out of sync. As I've said before, there's plenty of blame to throw around to both coaches & players. But the fact remains, each year with some level of roster turnover & youth injection, we get the exact same results. This team has been doing this for what feels like a decade now. That amount of roster turnover & the same level of play should produce different results if it were simply execution. But that also could point towards drafting & Colbert. Hard to pinpoint exactly where the shitshow is being produced, but I think you catch my drift.

Whatever it is... This amount of talent should be able to produce better results.

Some of it is coaches, but some of it is talent as well...you can kinda see that from a lot of players that have turned over...most are not picked up and sticking in the league.

I think the team has some misfit pcs they're working with, but they chose the pcs so it's really on them at the end of the day. One thing that bothers me a little but I think I know why...w/ Shazier the DEF still needed some work (CB2, Slot CB & FS notably).

They lose Shazier (CB2 is still not locked down, FS, Davis is holding his own, Slot CB, amazing they were able to get Hilton. They replace Shazier with a LB that is more suited for the Buck role, and the new SS FA has yet to play a whole game.

I love Bell as a talent, I just don't think waving $13-$14 mil per at him was the best way to go about getting another ring. I can't help but think if they had pursued a top level CB, S or LB with that money how much further along this team would be. I really think the FO wanted to cater to Ben and ensure he had his top weapons.

The optimist in me says it's week 6, let's see what happens this week. It just seems like the staff kicks into gear as you eluded to, when they've been kicked in the face. I heard the week before the ATL game was not real pleasant....why can't it stay that way?

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some of it is coaches, but some of it is talent as well...you can kinda see that from a lot of players that have turned over...most are not picked up and sticking in the league.

I think the team has some misfit pcs they're working with, but they chose the pcs so it's really on them at the end of the day. One thing that bothers me a little but I think I know why...w/ Shazier the DEF still needed some work (CB2, Slot CB & FS notably).

They lose Shazier (CB2 is still not locked down, FS, Davis is holding his own, Slot CB, amazing they were able to get Hilton. They replace Shazier with a LB that is more suited for the Buck role, and the new SS FA has yet to play a whole game.

I love Bell as a talent, I just don't think waving $13-$14 mil per at him was the best way to go about getting another ring. I can't help but think if they had pursued a top level CB, S or LB with that money how much further along this team would be. I really think the FO wanted to cater to Ben and ensure he had his top weapons.

The optimist in me says it's week 6, let's see what happens this week. It just seems like the staff kicks into gear as you eluded to, when they've been kicked in the face. I heard the week before the ATL game was not real pleasant....why can't it stay that way?
Agreed. We've all said it at some point or another. Seems strange that they keep forcing these young kids away from their strengths. They draft kids that don't fit their schemes on defense. And to a degree, the offense. Not only that but the talent over accolades approach is hurting this team as well. Just all around poor strategy from top to bottom.

I see what your saying on the offseason approach... Bell or FA etc. I'm not convinced though. I still think if they had say picked up Earl Thomas that this defense would still be struggling. But that's just my disbelief in the coaches. We obviously have no way of knowing the results. But like you said, can't help but think it would be different.

Haven't been paying close enough attention lately. I think ever since the KC game I sort of checked out to a degree. I'm no longer perusing the media sites & staying close to the happenings on a weekly basis. I sort of just skim the articles and only click what looks important. I've been rolling my eyes at the rest. Diminished faith & work has me in a stranglehold. Would love it if the coaches kept the short leash, but history shows that's not Tomlin's way.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. We've all said it at some point or another. Seems strange that they keep forcing these young kids away from their strengths. They draft kids that don't fit their schemes on defense. And to a degree, the offense. Not only that but the talent over accolades approach is hurting this team as well. Just all around poor strategy from top to bottom.

I see what your saying on the offseason approach... Bell or FA etc. I'm not convinced though. I still think if they had say picked up Earl Thomas that this defense would still be struggling. But that's just my disbelief in the coaches. We obviously have no way of knowing the results. But like you said, can't help but think it would be different.

Haven't been paying close enough attention lately. I think ever since the KC game I sort of checked out to a degree. I'm no longer perusing the media sites & staying close to the happenings on a weekly basis. I sort of just skim the articles and only click what looks important. I've been rolling my eyes at the rest. Diminished faith & work has me in a stranglehold. Would love it if the coaches kept the short leash, but history shows that's not Tomlin's way.

Overall...the KC game rocked me as well. I've never really ventured much further than Steeler.com/Depot, for media nuggets, but for a good week I was pissed at that effort.

Fair or not, that one game kinda changed my season goals for this team...I'm not going to say what they are or are not right now because I don't really know. The only real positive is they have enough games to overcome this terrible start. They have enough talent to compete for the AFCCG and the SB, but only if they are playing aggressive, limited mistake football...I don't have a problem with zone DEF in general...not when you're bringing heat on the QB fast...but there are times when you need to lock down on a man and still bring the heat on the QB.

This soft zone no pressure DEF is not going to win anything significant.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Overall...the KC game rocked me as well. I've never really ventured much further than Steeler.com/Depot, for media nuggets, but for a good week I was pissed at that effort.

Fair or not, that one game kinda changed my season goals for this team...I'm not going to say what they are or are not right now because I don't really know. The only real positive is they have enough games to overcome this terrible start. They have enough talent to compete for the AFCCG and the SB, but only if they are playing aggressive, limited mistake football...I don't have a problem with zone DEF in general...not when you're bringing heat on the QB fast...but there are times when you need to lock down on a man and still bring the heat on the QB.

This soft zone no pressure DEF is not going to win anything significant.
I'm with you man, that was a rough stretch between KC & BAL. It was a tough pill to swallow but it definitely changed my outlook as well. I stopped looking ahead at games and started taking things week by week, and yet still cringing at the thought. I had a coworker come up to me last week and say:

"So November 8th huh?"

*looks at my completely puzzled face*

"The game"

*I still look lost*

"Steelers & Panthers"

He's a Carolina fan. lol.

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with you man, that was a rough stretch between KC & BAL. It was a tough pill to swallow but it definitely changed my outlook as well. I stopped looking ahead at games and started taking things week by week, and yet still cringing at the thought. I had a coworker come up to me last week and say:

"So November 8th huh?"

*looks at my completely puzzled face*

"The game"

*I still look lost*

"Steelers & Panthers"

He's a Carolina fan. lol.

Fuck Carolina......:lol:

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So @FaCe-LeE- now that I've drug you in here....lol

First, I said it before and I'll say it again Barkley is on the wrong team....in the NFL and on FF....that mother hummer destroyed any chance I had....good game bro.
Secondly, remember the discussion we had week one about Connor and Juju???
It did not take Connor long to get himself on head coaches radar....and of coarse because Juju and Connor are warranting more attention.... AB is finally getting his catches. Which is good for two reasons, it shuts him the hell up, and it gets us wins. I wasn't doubting Connor, he just needed to let it be known he's a big part of this team....and he has more than done so.
I was reading somewhere the offensive line had commented they preferred Connor's running style as opposed to Bell. They were saying Connor has the one cut and burst where all th they have to do is hit the blocking assignment and Connor hits the hole. As opposed to Bell, they said he does his double sometimes triple cut, sometimes hesitates and its harder on some of the guys. As they have to hold blocks longer and some of theguys even said about injuries were more frequent having extra blocking time with bell.....
I can see there side of it honestly, what's your take on it???

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

First, I said it before and I'll say it again Barkley is on the wrong team....in the NFL and on FF....that mother hummer destroyed any chance I had....good game bro.
It did not take Connor long to get himself on head coaches radar....and of coarse because Juju and Connor are warranting more attention.... AB is finally getting his catches. Which is good for two reasons, it shuts him the hell up, and it gets us wins. I wasn't doubting Connor, he just needed to let it be known he's a big part of this team....and he has more than done so.
I was reading somewhere the offensive line had commented they preferred Connor's running style as opposed to Bell. They were saying Connor has the one cut and burst where all th they have to do is hit the blocking assignment and Connor hits the hole. As opposed to Bell, they said he does his double sometimes triple cut, sometimes hesitates and its harder on some of the guys. As they have to hold blocks longer and some of theguys even said about injuries were more frequent having extra blocking time with bell.....
Well it certainly makes sense in theory, but we still have had more injuries to our O-line this year than we did last year. At any rate, hopefully that doesn't mean the O-line thinks they can relax and not sustain their blocks with Conner's running style.

Glad to see the offense starting to gel and fire on all cylinders. They still need to clean up some execution but overall things are clicking much better than they did say 2 weeks ago. The O-line is playing so much better, and I think health has a lot to do with it. Getting DeCastro & Gilbert back was a huge boost.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bell's running style...I think there's something to it. This is such a unique running style that I'm not a 100% sold that Bell will be just as effective with another OL...at least not initially.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bell's running style...I think there's something to it. This is such a unique running style that I'm not a 100% sold that Bell will be just as effective with another OL...at least not initially.
Exactly. It takes time to gel with that sort of runner. If Bell wanted to make the most out of his future team out the gate then he would definitely want to stick to 1-2 cuts until they find rhythm. If he goes to a power-run style blocking offense then he's in for a very long year lol.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. It takes time to gel with that sort of runner. If Bell wanted to make the most out of his future team out the gate then he would definitely want to stick to 1-2 cuts until they find rhythm. If he goes to a power-run style blocking offense then he's in for a very long year lol.

Yep...PIT is one of the few zone based blocking OLs, that also run the power game with the pulling G...but they were used to sustaining their blocks for that extra second or so.

LB...he's unique runner for sure, but he's not what you would call a quick hitting runner.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
YiryFQP.jpg

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't look now, but look who is in 1st place in the North! HAHA

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's weird to have less wins than the Bungles, and they are still not 1st in the division.

Marvin-Lewis.jpg
But we have less losses too. Ties always make standings look weird.