• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Official Jared Goff Thread

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just realized that we don't have an official Jared Goff thread or any Jared Goff threads since the Goff vs Wentz thread.

Considering we spent so much draft capital on this dude it only makes sense that we have a dedicated thread for the young man.

Jared_Goff_SI_Cover.0.0.jpg

I think it might be fun to track Jared's progress as he learns NFL defenses, huddles, dropbacks and the like and maybe we add the specific convos regarding all three QB's in this thread as well.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I found this nice little tidbit of info that I'm sure @SJ76 would find of interest too. (It's what made me initially look for a Goff thread to post in that led to creating this thread)

While it makes sense to start Keenum early in the year if Goff isn’t quite ready, Rams fans will be eager to see their quarterback of the future, especially after such an impressive 2015 college campaign. His final season at Cal saw him grade higher than both Jameis Winston’s final season at Florida State and Marcus Mariota’s final season at Oregon, and both of those players finished their NFL rookie seasons with an overall positive grade. That doesn’t mean Goff will definitely play well as a rookie, but it’s interesting to compare him to two players who handled themselves fairly well in their first pro seasons.
Keenum over Goff wise short-term move for Rams
Now SJ, I know and agree that Goff didn't have the big game experience that either of these two had but an interesting note for sure. Something I wasn't aware of until I read this.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said for sometime now that we should start the season with Case. Here's just another reason to do so...

The Rams’ low rank at the quarterback position is mostly due to how poorly QBs typically perform in their rookie season. More often than not, first-round quarterbacks end up with negative overall grades, even if they play well in later years. Based on everything we saw from Jared Goff at Cal, it looks like he could eventually be a star, but even current young, rising QBs like Cam Newton and Derek Carr earned negative overall grades in their freshmen NFL seasons. Outside of Goff, Case Keenum graded out as an average quarterback in his limited time. When he wasn’t under pressure, he produced an NFL passer rating of 102.2.
Los Angeles Rams 2016 Season Preview
Now that's a huge proviso, however if we can protect the guy in the first four games and bring Goff in, if ready of course, by Week 5 we get three critical Divisional games off the boards (2 away and 1 home) Well I mentioned all this before but what we really need, whether it is Goff or Kneenum starting, is better pass protection.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I found this nice little tidbit of info that I'm sure @SJ76 would find of interest too. (It's what made me initially look for a Goff thread to post in that led to creating this thread)

While it makes sense to start Keenum early in the year if Goff isn’t quite ready, Rams fans will be eager to see their quarterback of the future, especially after such an impressive 2015 college campaign. His final season at Cal saw him grade higher than both Jameis Winston’s final season at Florida State and Marcus Mariota’s final season at Oregon, and both of those players finished their NFL rookie seasons with an overall positive grade. That doesn’t mean Goff will definitely play well as a rookie, but it’s interesting to compare him to two players who handled themselves fairly well in their first pro seasons.
Keenum over Goff wise short-term move for Rams
Now SJ, I know and agree that Goff didn't have the big game experience that either of these two had but an interesting note for sure. Something I wasn't aware of until I read this.

You talking about NFL.com's rating? JW and MM's combined final 2 seasons were pretty good. JW wasn't as sharp in his final season, but he was still pretty darn good. MM put up massive stats in his last 2 years. Their out of conference schedule's really don't even compare when you bring Goff into the equation.

The reasons he has no business starting are:

Never took 1 snap behind center in college
Never played in a big game
Never beat a good team in his last 2 years
Only really faced 1 top 15 type caliber team in his last 2 years of college ball

I doubt he's going to be ready. I really don't see how the guy "had a better final season" than these other 2 stud QBs. Jameis averaged 27 attempts per game and had 40 TDs + 10 Ints during his natty year. His QBR was off the chart that year. 184.8? Tough to top that + Jameis threw TOO much his last year. Forced too many balls. Goff HAD 43 TDs and 13 Ints his last year on 40+ attempts per game. Goff averaged over 40 attempts per game his entire career at Cal. And Goff never had a better completion % than Jameis - in any year. Mariota's stats are unreal. Never did this guy throw over 30 attempts per game and look at his TD/INT ratio. Solid completion %. And with 4.4 speed? This was the guy to trade the farm for. :L

So give Goff 27-30 attempts per game and then look at his stats. Like i always say, stats are deceiving. Hell Kobe can throw it up twice as much as Jimmy Butler and scored a few more points, but that doesn't mean he had a better year.

Good to see you back here tho Vita :thumb: You know it's hard for me to put Goff in these 2 guys' catagory because the only time i saw him play, it was like 4-5 INTs against Utah. Give him a big game where he looked really good or beat a few good teams.. Then he might be in their catagory.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I'm pulling for the kid to sit and watch for awhile. Make him hungry, not scared and running for his life. I think he's got some talent, but needs experience and to feel somewhat comfortable behind center in a conference that will take no prisoners. If they do, you will be their bitch.

2ec9745f23e48a7e13ac5b1ce20e520c1aa9dc93e7673e30e5c06a1eafc2b325_1.jpg

J-Rod

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What did you guys think about Jared Goff's first performance? I know it was only nine attempts but I didn't find him too bad. He got rattled in the beginning, and that INT from his second throw can really kill a QB mentally. But he came back and made some solid throws (if only Cooper brought his hands). One thing he must remember is that we do not have a great o-line, so he needs to get that ball off faster. He will learn in due time hopefully.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like Goff will get first team reps vs KC.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got rattled in the beginning no doubt. Didn't take 1 snap behind center. Faced prevent the next series towards the end of the half. Tough to say really. It's early.

I was way more impressed with Dak Prescott -- 4th rounder. :facepalm5: This kid has overcome losing his mom and is one of the top QBs in SEC history for total yardage. Not to mention the guy can move outside the pocket.

Maybe.. just maybe one of these days when our FO isn't smoking crack and they realize our Oline is not all that, they draft a mobile QB.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking forward to seeing Goff this Saturday. Hopefully no injuries for either team.
I'll be there Moose, and as always, yours is the sentiment of our crew, no injuries for either team! We were all saying that same line this week whenever we talked to a Cowboy fan early in the day.

The Rams lost a damned good rookie prospect for the season this week vs Dallas in Brian Randolph (ACL). Without injury, I think he makes the 53 man roster when it's all said and done.

Honestly, I don't know how this dude went as an UDFA. Could be for the very reason we now have him on the IR though, a previous ACL in his football career. (Don't know if it's the same leg or not)

Dude is talented and will get a shot at making the team in 2017.

How the Rams got a complete steal in UDFA safety Brian Randolph

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be there Moose, and as always, yours is the sentiment of our crew, no injuries for either team! We were all saying that same line this week whenever we talked to a Cowboy fan early in the day.

The Rams lost a damned good rookie prospect for the season this week vs Dallas in Brian Randolph (ACL). Without injury, I think he makes the 53 man roster when it's all said and done.

Honestly, I don't know how this dude went as an UDFA. Could be for the very reason we now have him on the IR though, a previous ACL in his football career. (Don't know if it's the same leg or not)

Dude is talented and will get a shot at making the team in 2017.

How the Rams got a complete steal in UDFA safety Brian Randolph

Might have been a bit premature on the Randolph story. He was just waived/injured, but could end up back on IR if he clears.