• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Official 2019 Chicago White Sox Thread

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i don't know when the sox suddenly got picking about when to bring up players from AA. they used to do it all the time
such players as:
brian downing,
carlos may
jorge orta
jerry hairston
chet lemon
harold baines
jim morrison
kevin bell
robin ventura
lance johnson
ron kittle
frank thomas
joe crede
alexei ramirez
and i only checked the good players!
Agreed, atho I have to confess I had no idea this list of some pretty damn good Sox players all came directly from AA. And for the record I wasn't suggesting that the Sox SHOULDN'T bring up someone from AA, I was merely going by what seems to be their modus operandi in recent years. I'm trying to recall the number of players/pitchers in the last half decade or longer in which they came directly from AA. Anyone have this info?

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, so... we have been the worst team in baseball the first four days out of the gate into the 2nd half. This has been unwatchable. To think I missed the White Sox over the break and now I can't stand the site of them.

I see no reason to hold onto Colome or any other potential chips.

I think we should keep Abreu on a reasonable 2-3 year deal beyond this season. However, and I'm just spit balling... what if we were to move him by the deadline, pickup a prospect and then re-sign him in the off-season? Just like the Yanks did with Chapman. He's made it abundantly clear that he wants to be here, no matter what. I have to think he'd come back.

I used to roll my eyes at the whole "clubhouse, leadership... etc..." cliché's about him. However, when you listen to the young guys talk, it's obvious that they really do look up to him. I think he's important. Would pulling a stunt like this disrupt the flow of our youth's development?

Eh well... like I said. Just throwing stuff at the wall. I actually don't think the FO is even considering moving Abreu. I think it would have happened by now. We're close to the end of our rebuild. We've gone through a multitude of off-seasons and deadlines without trading him. Why would they do it now? When he's only a half-year rental.

I would move Colome, Bummer, Leury... all of the names that have come up.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy white flag Batman!! I can see moving Colome, altho again I would hold out for over-value. But Bummer? No way. And Leury carries more value in his present role than he would bring in a trade. So my vote would be no on trading him as well.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the sox would be complete idiots to trade garcia OR bummer. together they make less than 2.5 million and they're bopth young and good. how does it help this p.o.s. team in any way to rid themselves of a good prospect and a cheap great utility player?
you want to trade something trade the worthless guys who make too much money like, nova, herrera, NATE FUCKING JONES and yes, jose abreu (while the getting is good!)

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the sox would be complete idiots to trade garcia OR bummer. together they make less than 2.5 million and they're bopth young and good. how does it help this p.o.s. team in any way to rid themselves of a good prospect and a cheap great utility player?
you want to trade something trade the worthless guys who make too much money like, nova, herrera, NATE FUCKING JONES and yes, jose abreu (while the getting is good!)
We'd get virtually nothing for Jose, being he's in his age 32 season of his contract year. Yeah, we could hope that we trade him for a mid level prospect or two, then bank on him returning to the Sox in the offseason, an idea which could backfire big time. And even if he was willing to return, the Sox would then be in direct competition with any number of other teams. For those who want Abreu to remain a White Sox for at least a few more seasons, then the best and most economical bet is to get him signed to an extension during this season, and preferably soon at that. For those who feel he's no longer needed on this team, then yeah, might as well trade him by the deadline to at least get a little something.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'd get virtually nothing for Jose, being he's in his age 32 season of his contract year. Yeah, we could hope that we trade him for a mid level prospect or two, then bank on him returning to the Sox in the offseason, an idea which could backfire big time. And even if he was willing to return, the Sox would then be in direct competition with any number of other teams. For those who want Abreu to remain a White Sox for at least a few more seasons, then the best and most economical bet is to get him signed to an extension during this season, and preferably soon at that. For those who feel he's no longer needed on this team, then yeah, might as well trade him by the deadline to at least get a little something.

signing him to a couple years would be helpful but then i would trade him asap after that. he's already had his influence on some younger players and i don't believe it's imperative for him to remain now. and 32 is certainly not that old. i think they could get more than "a little something".

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
signing him to a couple years would be helpful but then i would trade him asap after that. he's already had his influence on some younger players and i don't believe it's imperative for him to remain now. and 32 is certainly not that old. i think they could get more than "a little something".
It's possible and if they are considering trading him, I'd certainly hope we'd get a decent return. I just wouldn't bet the farm on it.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So we're deciding to trade Garcia now, while he's finally playing decent ball? Nah. Colome is still on contract for next season. Why would we trade him if we're "on the cusp?" He's pretty good.

How about we just dump the sh*tty players and, you know, replace them with better players in the offseason? It's not like we have a huge salary number. Or is that plan no good unless it's a 300 million dollar player?

Guys like Lopez, Cordell, Nova, Banuelos, Sanchez and Alonso come to mind. F*ck those guys. If you can't break 5 in an ERA or .250 in batting average...Hasta.

If we trade a decent player, gotta get two back so we can supplant some of these scrubs...and let's be honest now...Neither Colome or Garcia is gonna pull that kind of haul. Just do what can be done in FA.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
<beware big vent coming>

lost 8 of 9 now giving up an average of almost 8 runs per game in these loses. the brilliant 'brain trust' has done this to themselves. they actually thought they didn't need to add any quality pitching to this train wreck. this bunch of horses asses think it's wise to build a building with more than half the foundation missing. they went out and got the worst pitchers they could find to add and hoped for the best.

(to the nut-job that's going to ask me what I'D have done ... go suck an egg!)

detwiler ... a guy who's been out of baseball for two years and whose prior 6 years era's were 6.10, 6.14, 5.79, 7.25, 7.63 and 7.12.

evan marshall whose prior 4 era's were 7.71, 9.39, 8.80 and 6.08.

josh osich whose prior 2 era's were 8.25 and 6.23.

add this to the trash we already have and it's clear we are aiming down, not up. this bunch does not know HOW to rebuild. i've had it with rick hahn. kenny williams should be taken out in back and shot. and the head nincompoop should FREAKING SELL THIS TEAM!

tell me fellow fans ... why do we root for this team? why would we remain loyal? cause we were brought up to? is this a good reason?

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tell me fellow fans ... why do we root for this team? why would we remain loyal? cause we were brought up to? is this a good reason?

Sure is.

The winning feels so much better after years of punishing anger and losing. Our time will come again...only problem is it might not be in our lifetime. : D

In a similar vein, since my older son is being brought up in Florida he's a Dolphins and Marlins fan. I tried to kind of make them my "second" teams...It's a no go. I just don't give a sh*t if they win or lose. LOL

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So we're deciding to trade Garcia now, while he's finally playing decent ball? Nah. Colome is still on contract for next season. Why would we trade him if we're "on the cusp?" He's pretty good.

How about we just dump the sh*tty players and, you know, replace them with better players in the offseason? It's not like we have a huge salary number. Or is that plan no good unless it's a 300 million dollar player?

Guys like Lopez, Cordell, Nova, Banuelos, Sanchez and Alonso come to mind. F*ck those guys. If you can't break 5 in an ERA or .250 in batting average...Hasta.

If we trade a decent player, gotta get two back so we can supplant some of these scrubs...and let's be honest now...Neither Colome or Garcia is gonna pull that kind of haul. Just do what can be done in FA.
I’d trade a reliever when his value is at an all time high every time. How many relievers are consistently good yr to yr. they are almost always a crapshoot

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’d trade a reliever when his value is at an all time high every time. How many relievers are consistently good yr to yr. they are almost always a crapshoot

You really think we're gonna get a haul for Colome? All I think we'll get is a bigger "crapshoot" at closer and some prospects...which is not what we want if we're truly serious about making a run at the playoffs next year.

But let's be honest...This team is WAY overperforming...and considering that they're now 9 games under, 16 games back of first and 11 back of a wildcard...That's really scary. Our expected win loss puts us at 21 games under. Our run differential is 4th worst in the league. We could be much, much worse off right now basically solidifying an argument that our rebuild is pure garbage in its current state. So yeah, maybe, just trade Colome and dig into more prospects. What's the difference? Our core is not that good. That's a cold hard reality.

Let's look at it this way. These are players I like going into next season:

Garcia
Abreu
Moncada
Anderson
McCann
Jimenez
Sanchez (This is more of a "he's ok/serviceable" than a "like" tbh)

Giolito
Rodon
Colome
Bummer
Maybe Cease
Maybe Kopech

We've got 2-3 glaring holes in the lineup...and 1-3 holes in the SP and God knows how many in the RP.

But still, the majority of the core IS THERE...and we're pretty bad. One of the worst teams in the MLB bad. This team will need a miracle next year. Sigh.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You really think we're gonna get a haul for Colome? All I think we'll get is a bigger "crapshoot" at closer and some prospects...which is not what we want if we're truly serious about making a run at the playoffs next year.

But let's be honest...This team is WAY overperforming...and considering that they're now 9 games under, 16 games back of first and 11 back of a wildcard...That's really scary. Our expected win loss puts us at 21 games under. Our run differential is 4th worst in the league. We could be much, much worse off right now basically solidifying an argument that our rebuild is pure garbage in its current state. So yeah, maybe, just trade Colome and dig into more prospects. What's the difference? Our core is not that good. That's a cold hard reality.

Garcia
Abreu
Moncada
Anderson
McCann
Jimenez

Giolito
Rodon
Colome
Bummer
Maybe Cease
Maybe Kopech

We've got 2-3 glaring holes in the lineup...and 1-3 holes in the SP and God knows how many in the RP.

But still, the majority of the core IS THERE...and we're pretty bad. One of the worst teams in the MLB bad. This team will need a miracle next year. Sigh.

they're 'bad' because of the staff. they'll be close to just as bad next year too with the returning starters (kopech & rodon) starting over (and i have zero hope for rodon at this point.)
i figure cease and giolito will have major arm surgery by mid season next year as well.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Garcia
Abreu
Moncada
Anderson
McCann
Jimenez

Giolito
Rodon
Colome
Bummer
Maybe Cease
Maybe Kopech

I don’t know about a hall but the Yankees stacked their farm when they traded Chapman and Andrew Miller a few hrs ago. Get anything close to what they got for those 2 and I do it immediately. Colome has been fantastic all yr

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they're 'bad' because of the staff. they'll be close to just as bad next year too with the returning starters (kopech & rodon) starting over (and i have zero hope for rodon at this point.)
i figure cease and giolito will have major arm surgery by mid season next year as well.

We're bad because of the staff hurts me so much more than just "we're bad" because it implies you think our lineup, which has put up the 3rd lowest runs in the majors is not bad. But it is too...We're just bad man. But hey, there's still some of us that think we'll be all that and a bag of chips next year...So my body is ready to not suck again, despite all evidence presented.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
<beware big vent coming>

lost 8 of 9 now giving up an average of almost 8 runs per game in these loses. the brilliant 'brain trust' has done this to themselves. they actually thought they didn't need to add any quality pitching to this train wreck. this bunch of horses asses think it's wise to build a building with more than half the foundation missing. they went out and got the worst pitchers they could find to add and hoped for the best.

(to the nut-job that's going to ask me what I'D have done ... go suck an egg!)

detwiler ... a guy who's been out of baseball for two years and whose prior 6 years era's were 6.10, 6.14, 5.79, 7.25, 7.63 and 7.12.

evan marshall whose prior 4 era's were 7.71, 9.39, 8.80 and 6.08.

josh osich whose prior 2 era's were 8.25 and 6.23.

add this to the trash we already have and it's clear we are aiming down, not up. this bunch does not know HOW to rebuild. i've had it with rick hahn. kenny williams should be taken out in back and shot. and the head nincompoop should FREAKING SELL THIS TEAM!

I guess I am just confused...

What do Detwiler, Marshall or Osich have to do with the team's rebuild? They're place holders. The only way your argument here carries weight is if you could convince people that those players are apart of our future or that this team is supposed to be a finished product. Which would be absurd to even attempt.

This year has been extremely promising in terms of growth with our youth. MOST notably at the big league level with Anderson, Eloy and Moncada as positional players. Then, of course, Giolito as a starting pitcher. We actually landed a catcher (a position of need for years) through free agency who turned into an all-star. Yet, you're focusing on the 30 year old journeymen that are just here to eat innings during a rebuild? It's just... odd.

It's like walking into a home when it's in the middle of being built, going to the unfinished rooms and yelling about how nothing has been done yet. Of course it hasn't...

I'm not guaranteeing anything long-term, that's a fool's errand. However, this team loses Anderson and Eloy... goes on one losing streak and suddenly we're acting like the sky fell? Did you think we were going to win a wild card spot or something? Did you think this was THE year? Weird.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Garcia
Abreu
Moncada
Anderson
McCann
Jimenez

Giolito
Rodon
Colome
Bummer
Maybe Cease
Maybe Kopech

Closers net sizable hauls to contenders all of the time. Leury and Bummer are also chips who could potentially net a nice prospect.

As for your list, I think Rodon has more than likely thrown his last pitch as a White Sox.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Virtually nothing is going way too far. Abreu would draw a good amount of interest. There would be competition for his services.

That being said... if we didn't deal Jose when he had multiple years of control left and would have netted something real big. We won't now.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I am just confused...

What do Detwiler, Marshall or Osich have to do with the team's rebuild? They're place holders. The only way your argument here carries weight is if you could convince people that those players are apart of our future or that this team is supposed to be a finished product. Which would be absurd to even attempt.

This year has been extremely promising in terms of growth with our youth. MOST notably at the big league level with Anderson, Eloy and Moncada as positional players. Then, of course, Giolito as a starting pitcher. We actually landed a catcher (a position of need for years) through free agency who turned into an all-star. Yet, you're focusing on the 30 year old journeymen that are just here to eat innings during a rebuild? It's just... odd.

It's like walking into a home when it's in the middle of being built, going to the unfinished rooms and yelling about how nothing has been done yet. Of course it hasn't...

I'm not guaranteeing anything long-term, that's a fool's errand. However, this team loses Anderson and Eloy... goes on one losing streak and suddenly we're acting like the sky fell? Did you think we were going to win a wild card spot or something? Did you think this was THE year? Weird.

you know what your problem is? you're out there all alone trying to be contrary just to hear yourself talk. what do those players have to do with the rebuild? you'd say that if they just kept bringing in losers for the next 5 years. that's how good your argument is. your rebuild would go on forever! MY point is to stop gathering 'placeholders'. stop hiring the worst players you can find!

and didn't you notice the first thing i wrote in that post? <beware big vent coming>! after losing 9 of 10? pretty much what that means is i was letting off some steam. isn't that ok with you?
stop being such a JERK, richig!