• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Official 2014 Lions Draft Thread

Best Option for the Lions at #10

• Anthony Barr

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Sammy Watkins

Votes: 15 40.5%
  • Best CB Available (Dennard or Gilbert)

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Other

Votes: 9 24.3%

• Total voters

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we don't draft Aaron Donald at #10 I'd love to see us trade back 5 to 10 spots and pick from Haha Clinton-Dix, Justin Gilbert, Darqueze Dennard, Kyle Fuller, Eric Ebron, Odell Beckham Jr., Brenden Cooks, Marquese Lee, or Ryan Shazier.

I'd take any one of those guys plus an extra 3rd rounder over anyone not named Jadevon Clowney, Khalil Mack, Sammy Watkins, Greg Robinson, Jake Matthews, Mike Evans, or Aaron Donald (am I missing any obvious ones there?). That's seven guys, and, imo, the next 9 best are the ones I listed above. Throw in two or three QBs and OT Taylor Lewan and we're up to 19 or 20 players. Basically, we can trade back and have our pick of at least one the 15 or so "best" players (imo, of course) in the draft and add a 3rd round pick in the process.

I'd be all about that move.
____________________________________________________________________________________
A lot of speculation, especially coming from a bleacher report I found on ESPN Insider, but if the likelihood did exist, the following would be a good move IMO. Detroit trades their #10, #111 and #227 to the Jets for their #18, #49 and #115... :nod:...... Lions 1374 pts. to Jets 1374 pts....The following on ESPN Insider

North Carolina's Eric Ebron is the consensus top TE prospect as we near next week's draft. He's expected to go in the first round, but where exactly he will be taken remains entirely up for debate.

The North Carolina product has the ability to be a top-10 pick, in the estimation of several front-office men," wrote Dan Pompei of BleacherReport.com. "But he might slip past the top 10 because some teams don't want to take a tight end that high.

"So the word going around is teams in the low teens or even high 20s could make a move for Ebron if he slides a bit. Candidates to move up for him are the Jets, Dolphins, Cardinals and Packers."

The Jets pick 18th, the Fins 19th, the Cards 20th and the Packers 21st.

Other teams that are expected to have interest in Ebron include the Detroit Lions at No. 10 and New York Giants at No. 12, Pittsburgh Steelers at No. 15, Baltimore Ravens at No. 17.

ESPN NFL Insider Mel Kiper Jr. ranks Ebron No. 8 overall in his top 100 prospects:

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the above trade were to occur, I would seriously consider Beckham Jr. 1st as he provides the 3rd best explosive traits on-field regarding wr's and also return abilities. 2nd choice would be OLB Shazier. It would be too difficult to bypass his sideline to sideline and come from behind speed. Another plus is his speed to penetrate the backfield in blitz situations. Should A.P. break off on one of his long runs, Shazier should have the speed to track his ass down. I'm assuming the possibility that Gilbert, Dix and Fuller to be gone by #18 as for my choices of Beckham Jr. and Shazier. I've seen several Mocks where Shazier goes to GB at #21 or Philly at #22.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Latest buzz on WR, TE prospect rankings

The NFL draft kicks off one week from tonight, which means we are getting into crunch time for NFL front offices. With that in mind the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel polled 17 personnel men with national responsibilities to name their five top wide receivers. The paper gave five points for a first-place vote, four points for a second-place vote, etc.

How did the wide receivers flesh out?

"Sammy Watkins, with 15 firsts and two seconds, led with 83 points," noted Bob McGinn. "He was followed by Mike Evans, 59 points; Odell Beckham, 55 (two firsts); Brandin Cooks, 25; Marqise Lee, 22; Jordan Matthews, three; Kelvin Benjamin, Cody Latimer and Paul Richardson, two; and Davante Adams and Shaq Evans, one."

In his Top 100, ESPN NFL Insider Mel Kiper Jr. ranks the top-10 wideouts in this order: Watkins, Evans, Cooks, Beckham, Lee, Benjamin, Latimer, Adams, Matthews and Bruce Ellington.

The Journal Sentinel also polled the personnel men regarding their thoughts on tight ends.

"Eric Ebron got the nod from all 17 execs to become the first unanimous choice at the position since Brandon Pettigrew in 2009," McGinn wrote. "Following Ebron, who had the maximum 68 points, were Austin Seferian-Jenkins, 37; Jace Amaro, 33; Troy Niklas, 16; C.J. Fiedorowicz, 11; Jake Murphy, three; and Arthur Lynch, two."

Kiper has Ebron as the No. 8 overall prospect. As for the other tight ends in his top 100, Kiper ranks them in this order: Seferian-Jenkins (63rd), Niklas (66th) and Amaro (74th).

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't believe Brandin Cooks only got 25. I'd take him over Beckham

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For All the Eric Ebron man-crush lovers

from an article written by CBS' Pat Kirwin...
NFL Draft smokescreens, draftable depth and tight-end breakdown - CBSSports.com

1. Eric Ebron, North Carolina: I watched Ebron's games against Miami and Cincinnati. He had 15 receptions for 277 yards and a touchdown. Ebron is talented and being portrayed as the next Jimmy Graham. He didn't score a touchdown in his final seven games but he is a matchup problem for any defense and should be drafted before No. 20 in the first round. Ebron is a slot tight end and no defense will see him as a man capable of run blocking at the point of attack and rarely used in pass protection. He is a fit with a team that is built on a passing attack.
____________________________________________________________________________________
BB_72... not to mention that drop rate of 11.43% or the fact I saw his bowl game where he clearly had the DB beaten by a minimum of 3+ yards, an easily catchable ball, one over the shoulder and two out front, where he didn't need to stretch/reach for the catch. He dropped all three where he could have scored with ease from less than 25 yards away from the end zone.

Sounds like a Mayhew pick to me.... :laugh3:

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Might as well use this thread for draft chatter

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
here or on Lionstop thread?? OBX wanted the picks posted... so just checkin where to do it

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was so excited when Watkins was taken 4th.. I really thought Mack would somehow fall or the Lions might actually trade up for him.. Then me other team the goddamn Raiders pick him.. They made a great pick and didn't go for the sexy player.. It remains to be seen if they use him correctly..

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so far so good. trade up price for Buffalo pretty reasonable. Surprised that Gilbert went to Cleveland.

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
awright. Lions can take their pick of Donald, Dennard, or Lewan, or look to trade down for someone who really wants a tackle or Manziel. I like a trade with the Giants adding a third.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tight end?????

WORST .... PICK ..... EVER!!!!!!!!!!!

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:L

I don't hate the player- very good looking TE prospect, but Donald or Dennard or Clinton-Dix or a trade back all would have been better options, imo.

This kid better be the next fucking Jimmy Graham.

black_magic

Mass Debater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont understand the pick. We have a Tight End. I like it, but im a homer, but I dont understand it

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get it. So we're going to try to arena-ball it I guess. 11%+ drop rate ? At least he's tall, but if Staff can miss Calvin regularly he can miss anyone.