• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Official 2014 Lions Draft Thread

Best Option for the Lions at #10

• Anthony Barr

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Sammy Watkins

Votes: 15 40.5%
  • Best CB Available (Dennard or Gilbert)

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Other

Votes: 9 24.3%

• Total voters

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last edited by a moderator:

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Travis Swanson

Travis Swanson

• OC 6-5, 312 lbs Arkansas Scouts Grade 51 Position Rank 4
  • Overall Rank 175 Arm Length 33-1/8" Hand Size 10"
  • 40-YD Dash5.28 Conference SEC
Draft Analysis
WHAT HE BRINGS
Much like Colorado State's Weston Richburg, Swanson is a four-year starter and two-time team captain with good length (33 1/8 inches) for the position. He's not as balanced as Richburg and has a tougher time staying in front of defenders, but he shows good awareness and rarely gets caught out of position in pass protection. He's also an adequate positional blocker who gets into position and walls off defenders.
HOW HE FITS
Swanson is a position guy who plays well in space, which should help him thrive in Detroit's zone-blocking scheme. He's not a mauler, but efficient and excellent in blitz pickup -- an area in which the Lions need to improve. Their starting line is in place, but Swanson offers quality depth across the interior of the O-line as the Lions look to keep QB Matthew Stafford upright.
Draft Results

Overall Football Traits

Production
2009: Redshirt 2010: (13/13) 2011: (13/13) 2012: (12/12) 2013: (12/12)

Height-Weight-Speed

Hits all the marks in terms of height, weight and top-end speed but lacks muscle definition and has thin ankles. Above-average arm length (33 1/8") and big hands (10") for center position.

Durability

Started every game of college career.

Intangibles

Two-time team captain. Leader on and off the field. Hard worker that takes professional approach to game. Son of Todd and Gina Swanson. Majoring in sociology.
1 = Exceptional 2 = Above average 3 = Average 4 = Below average 5 = Marginal

Offensive Center Specific Traits

Pass Protection
Longer arms and big hands to lock on and lock out. Active hands and resets quickly. Finds ways to get job done with effort. Digs in, plays with wide base and fights to hold ground against power but doesn't bend well and can give too much ground. Limited athlete that struggles to stay in front of defenders. Top heavy; lunges and gets caught off-balance too often.

Run Blocking

Good first step and adequate initial hand placement. Drives legs once in position and flashes ability to move defenders off ball but more of a positional blocker than bulldozer. Plays high and leans. Gets stood up. Doesn't press defender off frame. Slips off blocks and spends too much time on ground. Footwork, size and enough balance to be adequate zone blocker. Takes sound angles to second level assignments and flashes ability to cut off linebackers despite athletic limitations. Sub-par angles on block back.

Awareness

Smart and makes accurate pre-snap reads. Makes line calls. Keeps head on a swivel in pass pro. Picks up line stunts and blitzes. Keeps head up and locates second level assignments as a run blocker.

Toughness

Not an overwhelming mauler but grinder that finishes when he catches defenders off balance and smells blood in water. Aggressive and throws weight around in space. Agitator that can get under opponent's skin by blocking through whistle and leaning on defenders on ground.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kyle VanNoy

Eric EbronTEJunior6-4⅜, 250 lbsNorth Carolina
Scouts Grade 92 Position Rank 1 Overall Rank 11
Arm Length 33-1/4" Hand Size 10" 40-YD Dash 4.6

• Conference ACC – Coastal
Draft Analysis

WHAT HE BRINGS

Ebron isn't a powerful blocker. He dropped too many passes last year, and his effort is inconsistent, yet he's a good value pick at this point in the first round, and the reason is he's a dangerous receiver. He has the speed to stretch the field and body control to make plays downfield, plus the burst and wiggle to produce after the catch. He's also a nightmare matchup for defensive coordinators. If you try to match up with a linebacker, he can separate underneath or get behind the coverage. If you try to match up with a safety, he does a nice job of getting inside leverage and using his frame to box out.
HOW HE FITS

This was not a real need, with Brandon Pettigrew and Joseph Fauria already on the roster, but the Lions love pass-catching tight ends. Offensive coordinator Joe Lombardi comes from New Orleans and knows how to get big production out of the position. We will see multiple packages with motion, flexes, seven-step drops and go-routes between the hashes. Ebron must be able to flourish in their sight-adjustment package and be on the same page with quarterback Matthew Stafford. He will line up wide and flex a lot using some of the same skills we see from Jimmy Graham. This is an offense with a wealth of receiving weapons.
Draft Results
Overall Football Traits

Production 2 2011: (10/0) - 10- 207-20.7-1 2012: (11/11) 40-625-15.6-42013: (13/13) 62-973-15.7-3

Height-Weight-Speed 2
Average height and added nearly 20 pounds to previously lean frame prior to 2013 season. Has very good top-end speed for position. Also has big hands (10') and average arm length (33 ¼') for position.

Tight End Specific Traits

Separation Skills 1
Unpolished route runner who telegraphs breaks and gets muscled off course. Would like to see better route savvy when working through traffic. However, he naturally separates thanks to outstanding movement skills. He shows the initial burst and top-end speed to threaten a defense vertically. He consistently runs past linebackers and also has enough size to box out safeties when ball is in air. Does a good job of getting inside leverage on seam routes. Finds pockets in zone looks. Could do better job of uncovering when zone collapses on him.

Ball Skills 3
Ball skills are not as good as perception. Makes some circus catches. Has long arms, shows adequate leaping ability and good body control to adjust. Hauls in high-percentage of away-from-frame opportunities. But too many focus drops on 'catchable' balls. Highest drop percentage (11 percent) in 2013 of all the top TE prospects. Big Play Ability 1 Most dangerous TE in class - as both vertical route runner and after catch. Explodes off the line and gains speed quickly. Legitimate seam-stretching weapon. Good suddenness and acceleration transitioning upfield after catch. Above average elusiveness for position and has a second-gear to threaten if given a crease (see: TD vs. Miami (Fla.) 2013 5:39 1st quarter). Competitiveness 3 Highly competitive when he's a top option in passing game. Otherwise, effort and competitiveness are underwhelming.

Blocking 4
Effort as a blocker is inconsistent both in-line and in space. When he does give effort, he is capable of establishing good positioning and occasionally shoots hands inside and shows ability to sustain. Does not project as a player with the mindset, strength and toughness to develop into a decent 'Y' in the NFL. Can be an effective move blocker if focus and consistency of effort improves.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Highly competitive when he's a top option in passing game. Otherwise, effort and competitiveness are underwhelming.

I really hope the coaches work on this with him, as he will not be the top option in the passing game.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This stuff never gets old.....Check swing state!

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Van Noy one didn't come through.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I couldn't help noticing, after the brilliant Ebron pick, there were a few WTF? replies, and this thread died.

Here was my draft day at my friend's house. His team takes Clowney. My team has multiple talents to choose from, and takes......Ebron???

Me: "Fuck you! Fuck Clowney! Fuck the draft! This is fucking bullshit! Fuck you!" And I get in my car and go home. Of course, he's laughing the whole time.

Anyway, that was my true reaction to the pick.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I couldn't help noticing, after the brilliant Ebron pick, there were a few WTF? replies, and this thread died.

Here was my draft day at my friend's house. His team takes Clowney. My team has multiple talents to choose from, and takes......Ebron???

Me: "Fuck you! Fuck Clowney! Fuck the draft! This is fucking bullshit! Fuck you!" And I get in my car and go home. Of course, he's laughing the whole time.

Anyway, that was my true reaction to the pick.
They might trade us Clowney for Ebron straight up at this point. Guarantee they would for Odell Beckham Jr.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I drafted ODell with a late pick in my keeper. I should rub it in their faces.