• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The New Croatian Sensation Thread

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was just focusing on assists. Stockton was more than assists, he could also shoot from anywhere (both close and far) and he could defend. McLeod, Arroyo, and Lopez couldn't shoot nor defend at an average level, so that explains some of the overall dropoff in guard play, as well as the team record...

Another tangent - The reason why keeping McLeod/Lopez/Arroyo at PG and Harpring at PF doesn't work longterm is because these guys can't sustain it longterm, it's just a short-term fix while the Jazz transitioned into better talent (Deron at PG, Boozer at PF). Also, in each case, whether looking at the PG or PF, I was just focusing on one statistic each. Assists from the PG, and scoring from the PF. As previously mentioned, Stockton and Malone did a lot more, and the guys that filled in during those years couldn't fill in the gap on those other things.

Back to your Einstein example, would it be like if those other Kindergarteners got 100%, but Einstein would still do it 6X faster and throw in an answer in a foreign language?

Switched the order of you post in the quote above and cut it down to what I'm responding to.

The fact that you say that McLeod/Lopez/Arroyo was a short-term fix tells me that even in assists, they weren't like Stockton. I don't know how to say it differently, so I don't mean to be rude, but I really, REALLY don't think you can take team stats to discuss individual skills, even when isolating one area like assists. So say our teams are similar, but any reference that players x, y, or z could do it like Stockton, is a stretch unless that's Kidd, Nash, Magic, etc. If Mcleod, Arroyo, or Lopez could produce Stockton's numbers (talking just assists, here) and the remaining team could produce the rest, amounting to the same as the Stockton years (in total, not league rank), I'd say for that stretch, sure. Sloan would have rolled with them. But if McLopOyo do it by committee, I don't agree. The systems and teams could be similar, and in fact were, but that was the system's compensatory abilities.

Excuse me for the rough analogy but David Locke from a local radio stations was talking about how Jefferson's scoring in Minnesota was not that impressive on a losing team because the total points for the T'Wolves was a certain level, well below what was necessary to win. Even the Bobcats averaged a certain number, it was bound for one to carry the load. You could arrange a certain number of professionals randomly and someone would have to average a lot because the team is bound to score 90 or 80 or whatnot (number is just illustrative) and one player is bound to play a long time and take a lot of shots - he could be good at it, but number wise wasn't impressive to Locke. What he does when there are other talented players, speaks a lot more to him. With Favors and Millsap, etc., we're getting a look at Jefferson. (Love was starting to play better like Favors could, etc. so there was some overlap of situations.)

I understand the same can't be said about assists, when you are top 5 team, but a certain number of team assists are a given - the amount above that minimum is impressive, but in regards to individual floor generals, I feel it has to come from one PG to make a comparison. If the flex system was so conducive and Stockton left, someone else would have filled his shoes and replaced the assists (forget about points and defense for a moment) - team scoring from all those assists and team assists outside of the PG would compensate. But it didn't. Stockton wasn't there for his scoring or defense primarily, it was for running the point and he did it better than any other Jazz man, even removing everything but assists. The scoring and defense was a plus.

Maybe Sloan didn't give another PG a chance until we got Deron, but that just speaks to how those others couldn't make up for it - even if just discussing assists. I think Sloan looked primarily for a passer.

I have to say, I know you weren't saying that these guys were the same as Stockton, even when just comparing assists, but I had to discuss what I thought about such hypothetical belief. Obvious when adding scoring and defense, but still true when not considering those.

About the Einstein question, yes, in a way, but the overall assessment of results does not change. Doing it faster or with more style, doesn't speak to effectiveness in a test setting - moving it to on the court, if McLeod gets 10 assists, it's same as Stockton getting 10 assists. The 99 Jazz getting 25 assists, to me, is not the same as the 2004 team getting 25 assists, unless McLeod got the 10 assists, too. I don't mind PG by committee, but I don't like equating them when naming individuals or looking for context to Stockton's record (or anyone else's record).

Some teams scored more than Jordan's team, but no player got more than Jordan, if the 1999 Bulls scored the same, I wouldn't be saying, maybe Jordan was a product of the system - unless one player scored the same with comparable supporting cast and it produced similar results - I know I'm mixing two areas - scoring and winning, which is not fair, but as Locke said, how you score matters (garbage points or real competitive scoring). Yes, the defense factor does remove the analogy a bit and so does level of competition. Making a nexus between flex offense assisting and garbage points could be made, because it isn't the PG driven assist, but I think there's too many factors going on here.

My whole analogy is messy, but my belief is clear - team stats can compare teams, not individuals, IMO. It can shed light on some things, but when comparing individuals in the same system, a lesser statistical output is informative. The decision by Sloan to play one PG less, may be effected by Sloan's belief in his ability to do it like Stock, assists or otherwise.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Paul 9 assists. Hayward with 6. Mo, not so much. So, it seems that much like Burks, Mo seems to need Hayward. Mo is really not a true PG huh.

I want a 10+ assist man, but it won't happen. We need a pass first PG, a disciplined system, a special player, lots of scoring options outside of PG, etc. for that to happen.

Some will say who doesn't want that? Well, I'd be willing to sacrifice a scoring point guard for an assist man. Some wouldn't. Realistically, I'm holding out for a 6+ guy and a respectable a/t ratio. Even that is picky and not common. System matters, too.

Or let's get Stockton's kid (not David, the other one) so I will have someone to personally root for like a Ute or Alex Smith.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mark Jackson doesn't know what he's talking about.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865593662/Utah-Jazz-Golden-State-coach-Mark-Jackson-causes-stir-with-comments-about-John-Stockton.html?pg=all

SALT LAKE CITY — Mark Jackson rankled some Utah Jazz fans on Monday when word started to spread on Twitter about a backhanded compliment he gave John Stockton.

NBA.com writer David Aldridge explored some of the all-time best backcourt combos to evaluate whether or not Golden State's coach was correct in calling Splash Brothers Steph Curry and Klay
Thompson “the best-shooting backcourt tandem in the history of the game.”

Aldridge listed multiple top-tier shooting backcourts: Portland’s Clyde Drexler and Terry Porter; Mo Cheeks and Andrew Toney of the Sixers; Oscar Robertson and Jon McGlocklin of the Royals/Bucks; Vern Fleming and Reggie Miller of the Pacers; Mark Price and Craig Ehlo of the Cavs; Jerry West and Gail Goodrich of the Lakers; and, of course, Stockton and Jeff Hornacek of the Jazz.

The case for and against those duos was made in the interesting article, but Jackson, a teammate of Stockton's in 2002-03, insisted it’s a moot point.

"Whatever you want to rank 'shooting,' my two guys are the greatest shooting, jump-shooting tandem, that this league has ever seen," Jackson told NBA.com. "And that's not even close. And I'm not guessing. I've watched all the greats, and it's with all due respect."

Turns out, Jackson had more respect for Hornacek’s shooting than Stockton’s.

"Hornacek -- great shooter. John Stockton -- good to very good shooter. Not a great shooter,” Jackson said. “Don't get me wrong. He was an all-time great player. But John Stockton would not be considered a great shooter."

Here’s how the four players stack up in some basic shooting statistics:

Thompson (three years): 43.6 percent from the field; 40.9 percent from 3-point range; 83.1 percent on free throws.

Curry (five years): 46.2 percent from the field; 44.0 percent from 3-point range; 89.5 percent on free throws.

Stockton (19 years): 51.5 percent from the field; 38.4 percent from 3-point range; 82.6 percent on free throws.

Hornacek (14 years): 49.6 percent from the field; 40.3 percent from 3-point range; 87.7 percent on free throws.

Just for fun comparison’s sake, check out the effective field goal percentage from basketball-reference.com:

Stockton, Jackson’s version of a “good to very good shooter,” had a stellar eFG percentage of .546 over nearly two decades. Incidentally, that is the same mark the sweet-shooting Curry has had since entering the league in 2010.

Hornacek tallied a .530 eFG percentage compared to .523 for Thompson in his third year.
“Steph can pull up off the dribble, in traffic. They're two of the better guys we've seen at those positions,” Hornacek recently told Aldridge. “But John and I could shoot it a little, too.”

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haven't they done this before?

His other son, if I recall correctly. If I don't recall correctly, then this is the second time with David, if you don't recall incorrectly.

Last edited by a moderator:

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reno Bighorns guard David Stockton was today named NBA Development League Performer of the Week for games played Monday, March 2 – Sunday, March 8. The honor is the first of Stockton’s career and the first for the Bighorns this season.

Fresh off a 10-day contract with the Sacramento Kings, Stockton led the Bighorns to a 2-1 record last week, averaging a double-double of 38.7 points and 13.7 assists to go with 6.7 rebounds and 4.3 steals.

In his first game back in Reno, Stockton scored a career-high 44 points, dished out 10 assists and notched a near-quadruple-double registering eight steals and seven rebounds in a 158-152 win over the Rio Grande Valley Vipers. Two days later, he amassed 22 assists to go with 37 points and five rebounds as his Bighorns defeated the Texas Legends 147-111. To finish the week, Stockton tallied 35 points, nine assists and eight rebounds as Reno fell 117-115 to the Iowa Energy on the road in Des Moines.

NBA D-League | David Stockton Named NBA Development League Performer of the Week

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you going to copy my posts about David from the Around The League Thread, into here?

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the John Stockton thread, not the David Stockton thread.

I doubt people would post about Steph in Del's dedicated thread, for example.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trade Cooley and Garrett for him! Let Stockton and Cotton battle it out!

Cotton has already proven that he wears the crown.

I don't know if David wants to back up Rondo, Exum, Burke, Hood, Cotton, and Burks next year.

;)

(I'm just making a few useless posts because I want to keep chatting, and to spur involvement.)

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the John Stockton thread, not the David Stockton thread.

I doubt people would post about Steph in Del's dedicated thread, for example.
You're right, they wouldn't post about Steph in Del's dedicated thread because Stockton > Del. Del wouldn't have his own thread.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about creating a dedicated thread for David? ;)
Not until he becomes a Utah Jazz basketball player. I was going to say, "not until he scores a point, gets an assist, or at least logs a minute with the real Utah Jazz team in a real game (not D-League or pre-season/Summer League)" But then I thought, "who am I kidding? The second he joined us I'd be all over that."

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not until he becomes a Utah Jazz basketball player. I was going to say, "not until he scores a point, gets an assist, or at least logs a minute with the real Utah Jazz team in a real game (not D-League or pre-season/Summer League)" But then I thought, "who am I kidding? The second he joined us I'd be all over that."

But you're still going to track how he does in the NBA, even if it's with a team that's not on the Jazz. Right?

He got a point and assist in his first NBA game, which I logged a few weeks ago.

I just think it would be cleaner to put all of David Stockton related updates in a new thread. :)

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But you're still going to track how he does in the NBA, even if it's with a team that's not on the Jazz. Right?

He got a point and assist in his first NBA game, which I logged a few weeks ago.

I just think it would be cleaner to put all of David Stockton related updates in a new thread. :)

I didn't start a Jeremy Lin thread or Andrew Bogut's thread, just a Houston Rockets or Around the League Thread. Julian Lennon has musical talent but he might not have had his opportunity to show his talent if not for his dad's success. Same with David, he has talent independent of his father but his opportunity without John.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't start a Jeremy Lin thread or Andrew Bogut's thread, just a Houston Rockets or Around the League Thread. Julian Lennon has musical talent but he might not have had his opportunity to show his talent if not for his dad's success. Same with David, he has talent independent of his father but his opportunity without John.

Thanks.